Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Thread: Hurricane Irma

Default Hurricane Irma

Hermod,you are south of me and they are showing a little hook into your corner of the sandbox as a possibility.

I hope you are and will be safe and take appropriate measures.

Nothing to worry about folks, all this hype about Hurricane Irma is overblown and is just part of a liberal conspiracy to make you believe in Climate Change, according to Rush Limbaugh.

https://www.usatoday.com/videos/news...acy/105317274/

Also apparently Home Depot and other stores are part of this Deep State conspiracy in order to sell you batteries and bottled water that you don't need.

Anyways, no need to worry everyone, Rush is right. Hurricanes are a liberal hoax invented by Al Gore. It'll probably just be a little bit of rain and some light wind. Do not give the Deep State what they want by buying any type of emergency supplies or preparing in any meaningful way, that just gives Al Gore motivation to create another fake hurricane.

Well,at this point beer is cheaper then bottled water,I guess the thing to do is get drunk and strap oneself to a heavy marble confederate statue to keep from getting blown away in the winds.

Crap,forgot about they removed them all,liberals putting people's life at risk because they were offended.Plan B it is.
    Last edited by Richard; September-06-17 at 02:51 PM.

I heard Mrs. Clinton donated $800,000 to an organization called "Antiirm". They're donning waterproof balaclavas, and are preparing to line Florida's panhandle with umbrellas and kitty-shields to protect the citizens. She wants to be part of the resistance.

I was wondering about the increase in rail cars carrying unicorns and the shipping containers at the port from China filled with pixie dust.

It will be Hati all over again,501c for donations,kick a few bucks up the ladder and the rest is washed into a foundation for distribution.

5 wood shacks for 30 million is quite the profit margin.

But it is equal opportunity so I would guess Halliburton will be in there somewhere.

Hurricane evacuation pictures often show outbound interstate highways clogged with stop and go traffic while two or more incoming lanes are nearly devoid of traffic. It might make sense to put up signage designating at least one of the incoming lanes as outgoing; perhaps set aside for vehicles carrying at least four riders or traveling at least a specified distance.

School bus and municipal bus fleets could also be mobilized to transport residents. New Orleans scuttled their school busses in four feet of water instead of utilizing them for evacuation. Instead, people were herded into the Superdome.

Mayor Nagin of New Orleans also failed to even reply to Amtrak's repeated offering of safe passage as it evacuated its rolling stock. Amtrak finally rolled out empty trains.

On Saturday they do create northbound traffic lanes only most likely the turnpike.

I think the Keys have already implemented that,you can leave but not return.

When Andrew hit Miami back then there was no coordination because there had been few major hurricanes in awhile and complacency had set in.

It was after Andrew that they created the emergency command centers with representatives from every sector to coordinate.

By declaration of emergency they can stage resources outside in safe zones and offer assistance immediately after the storm,the problem with New Orleans is they did not declare before the storm.

When they stage it is thousands of utility trucks,fuel delivery trucks,law enforcement,water and food,rescue and recovery,heavy equipment,portable cell towers,back up generators that can run water plants etc.

It is a massive collection of resources and people,that also needs to be fed and housed.They come from all across the country,even Michigan,which in a utility truck it has to take 3 days.

The logistics is unreal and needs to be in place before the storm to be effective.

As of today people are haveing to book hotels as far away as Tennessee.
    Last edited by Richard; September-06-17 at 10:03 PM.

WJR announced this morning that DTE was sending linemen and tree trimmers down towards Florida to aide after Irma hits.

I just watched a video of the winds doing their damage on the ground. It looked like they dropped the camera in a blender and turned it up to high. Not much was recognizable other than a car being shredded by flying debris.

Hurricane Irma destroys Maho Beach Cam in St Maarten
    Last edited by Jimaz; September-07-17 at 08:12 AM.

Google "Google traffic Florida" for the latest information on interstate traffic. Currently I-75 is most affected. Traffic up the Atlantic coast of Florida is slow but not quite as heavy as on I-75. Traffic up the west coast of Florida is not too bad. There is some traffic congestion in Georgia. I wonder if a better escape strategy might be to head from Miami to points west of Tallahassee along west Florida or on two lane roads. There are also reports of gas stations running out of gas as far north as Valdosta. As of yesterday, a quarter of Miami gas stations were out of gas.

They have been doing staged evacuations,tourist first,the real test is going to be Friday pm and Saturday morning when the adverage worker gets off of work and wants to leave.The closer the storm gets the more they convert to one way everything.

The islands are reporting 98% destruction,it is kinda hard to leave an island.

The is no need to go up the scale past a cat 5,because that pretty much does leval everything.

At this point flights and hotels are hard to come by,but the jerks getting $30 for a package of water that sells for $3.50 are not.

Wal-mart is down to gallon jug only,limit 2,most forget that their water heater holds 30 to 50 gallons and the taps still work,but the whole cannot drink tap water mentality makes the water situation way overblown.Unlike Flint.

Even though it is not known at this point exactly where it will land until it does,give me a hurricane over a tornado anyday,at least you know it is coming.

Quote Originally Posted by GMan View Post
    WJR announced this morning that DTE was sending linemen and tree trimmers down towards Florida to aide after Irma hits.
    There were some that came down last year in anticipation of another event,we used our kitchen for 1500 meals 3 times a day plus snacks.

The storm petered out but they were all a pretty cool group that represented their state nicely and we were glad to have them here.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Wal-mart is down to gallon jug only,limit 2,most forget that their water heater holds 30 to 50 gallons and the taps still work,but the whole cannot drink tap water mentality makes the water situation way overblown.Unlike Flint.
    I could never understand this. Get a big cooler. Fill it up with tap water water. If you're worried, get a couple of chlorine tablets to keep it from getting moldy, or run it through a water filter pitcher. Why do people insist on buying up bottled water?

Stand in line for 3 hours dealing with line cutters and fights that break out over the last few gallons,for two gallons of water.My city water bill is $6 per month I am not about to buy bottled water.

But I have a 30 gallon water heater and 4 gallon reserve on my reverse osmosis system hooked up to my fridge on a pressurized tank. That is 34 gallons without leaving the house.

Who knows lol but then again I live in a state that makes it illegal to collect rain water for use other then gardens.

The last 3 months we have had daily rains.

Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post
    I could never understand this. Get a big cooler. Fill it up with tap water water. If you're worried, get a couple of chlorine tablets to keep it from getting moldy, or run it through a water filter pitcher. Why do people insist on buying up bottled water?

Because the TV set told them to.

Though it wouldn't help much in a hurricane due to possible contamination, I have 1,100 gallons in a small swimming pool I could use. We've had some wind storms that closed road for several days for example.

And even if it was partially contaminated, I could boil it if I really had to.

That and fill the bathtub to flush the toilet or sponge bath.

Unless there is severe flooding Most water plants do not go down,they have back up power,severe flooding Nobody is going to carting 10 cases of water on the way out the door.

4 hurricanes in 2004 lost power 14 days but never lost city water supply.

Not only are pythons good swimmers, they can hold their breath for up to an hour underwater if necessary. They also have no aversion to salt water. Comforting...

Just took a tour of the old neighborhood thanks to Google Street View. From the plywood doors and windows I see, Detroit is hurricane ready.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Just took a tour of the old neighborhood thanks to Google Street View. From the plywood doors and windows I see, Detroit is hurricane ready.
    +5.....

See,that is not blight,Detroit is prepared already.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    OUCH!
    Population numbers would suggest the evacuation has taken place already.
    We're just ahead of our time.