Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Mugging/Robbery at Gunpoint in Midtown

Any more details on this incident from the weekend? Did they catch the perpetrators?

Quote Originally Posted by corktownyuppie View Post
    Any more details on this incident from the weekend? Did they catch the perpetrators?
    Ant details on the occurrence?

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Ant details on the occurrence?
    About 6 or 7 were killed; crushed. Along with 2 ladybugs and a grasshopper.

yes, they were caught

If you're referring to the Mugging by the DMC, yes they caught the perps. Wayne State emailed us this weekend.

To All Wayne State University Students, Staff and Faculty,

with respect to the email alert sent out on Sunday September 3 concerning the armed robbery that happened mid-afternoon near 4707 St. Antoine street:

Both subjects involved have been apprehended. The threat no longer exists.

Crime Prevention Section
    Wayne State University Police
    6050 Cass Avenue
    Detroit, MI 48202
    desk: 313-577-6064
    EMERGENCY phone: 313-577-2222
    web: https://police.wayne.edu
    email: campuswatch@wayne.edu

Sent: Sunday, September 3, 2017 8:41:21 PM
    To: Staff, Faculty &; currentstudents@lists.wayne.edu
    Subject: Special Crime Alert - Armed Robbery Incident

To All Wayne State University Students, Staff and Faculty,

The following information is provided to alert WSU students, staff and faculty, as well as area residents, of this incident, so that they may take additional precautions in the area.

On Sunday, September 3, 2017, a 22 year old female WSU student reported she was the victim of an armed robbery near 4707 Saint Antoine St.
    The victim stated that she was walking north on the sidewalk on the west side of the street from 4201 st. Antoine to where she parked her car near 4707 St. Antoine. When she was on St. Antoine north of East Canfield, she saw one black male [[suspect 2) standing north of her location on the sidewalk. She then realized that a black male [[suspect 1) was walking behind her. Suspect 1 asked her what time it was. After the victim answered, Suspect 1 told her to turn around. She didn`t turn around, that is when she found that Suspect 1 had pressed something hard into the small of her back. She saw that Suspect 1 was holding what appeared to be a black pistol in his hand. Suspect 1 stated "give me your phone or I’ll shoot you." Suspect 1 then reached into the victim`s front right pocket on her jacket and stole her iPhone 7. Suspect 1 then tried to take the victim`s purse, Suspect 2 ran up and tried to help Suspect 1 get the purse but was unsuccessful. The victim pulled away from both suspects and ran east into the street yelling for help. The victim saw both suspects run southeast into the Viewpointe Village apartment complex.
    Physical Description:

SUSPECT 1:
    Black male, early 20s, about 5`8 to 5`9, 140-150lbs, slim build, black hoodie, possibly with white Nike symbol on the front of the hoodie, dark/black colored pants, armed with a black semi-automatic handgun.

SUSPECT 2:
    Black male, early 20s, about 5`8 to 5`9, 140-150lbs, slim build, dark blue/ royal blue hoodie, dark colored pants.

Units searched the general area for the above two suspects with negative results

Quote Originally Posted by dino View Post
    about 6 or 7 were killed; crushed. Along with 2 ladybugs and a grasshopper.
    doh!!!!!!

How did the culprits know she owned an iPhone 7 if it was concealed in her jacket pocket? Had they been on a stake-out, all for an iPhone and [[now) a felony conviction?

Still, St Antoine in Midtown is not the sort of place I'd expect a brazen hold-up these days.

I was talking to a security guard in the DMC and it seemed that those guys are more than simple security guards, maybe a branch of the DPD. Not sure, though.

Thank you Mr. Michigan for the details, and the news of the apprehension of the suspects. It would be nice if some people who start threads could give some context on just what the hell they're talking about [[or at least think about conveying information to readers before they post). Even a link would've been an improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by night-timer View Post
    How did the culprits know she owned an iPhone 7 if it was concealed in her jacket pocket? Had they been on a stake-out, all for an iPhone and [[now) a felony conviction?
    Because they were following her and she probably had it out at some point and they saw it? Is this a real question? Also they didn't ask her to give up her "iPhone 7", they just told her to give up her phone. She is a 22-year old college student, the odds were 99.9999999% that she had an expensive smartphone on her person.

I have an Iphone 5... I guess I can walk about without worry........

iphone 7 is an expensive device. phaps the perps dont know about track your iphone

these hoodlums need crime education more than ever.

Now those thugs know they can't just tip toe through Midtown plan and plot to rob folks for their treasures. It's all security tight as a lid just like 15 years ago.

BTW most Apple I-phones do have tracking devices.
    Last edited by Danny; September-06-17 at 11:58 PM.

She ran away without them getting the purse? Detroit must be getting better.In the 80's she would have been shot for not giving up the purse.

I always register my Iphones in the Apple Icloud allowing the 'Find Phone' option on my current Iphone 5. It shows your phone on a map with location. This has served me I've mislaid phone in the house or verified that I left it at home. Gives an alert to the phone if the phone is charged and turned on.

Otherwise useless. I doubt the police will do any follow up to an address for a stolen phone. You can set your Icloud up to 'brick' [[render useless) an Iphone if stolen. The 'bricking' basically renders the phone useful only for parts unless the thief does a deep 'jail break'.

I suggest you back up any Iphone up to Icloud so you don't loose your data should you have to disable your stolen phone or drop and break the thing [[they are as delicate as champagne glasses).

Not sure it would be a good idea to confront someone about your stolen phone should the 'found' alert go off across town? The remote disable [[bricking) will wipe off all of your personal info.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Now those thugs know they can't just tip toe through Midtown plan and plot to rob folks for their treasures. It's all security tight as a lid just like 15 years ago.

BTW most Apple I-phones do have tracking devices.
    Last edited by Zacha341; September-07-17 at 08:18 AM.