Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Big Boy Closures

...the chain has been slowly shrinking -- notable that in addition to the recent well-publicized closure of the Detroit location at Jefferson and Grand Blvd that locations in Mt Clemens [[Groesbeck and Cass) and Eastpointe [[Gratiot and 9 Mile) closed within the last couple of weeks as well--not sure which of those may be franchised or corporate -- sad to see nonetheless...truth is most of the locations are in serious need of an overhaul...

Just read about the one in Mt. Clemens too. I hate to see that happen. Guess I'll have to get one last big boy or slim jim in soon.

The one on Eureka in Taylor closed recently too. A Wahlburgers is now moving into that location.

Bigs boys seems to be going the way of Sears and Kmarts I crave a slim Jim every so often and every time I want one I notice another local Big Boys has shut down.
    I also noticed when I do go in its almost always a much older crowd I think if they are going to make they are going to have to figure out how to draw in a younger generation of customers.

My only memory of Big Boy is going there on road trips with my grandparents when I was about 10, which was 20 years ago.

It simply wouldn't occur to me to eat there, much like IHOP, Ram's Horn, Ponderosa and most of those older chains. Additionally, like the newer chains, they're also getting squeezed from above by the farm to table and high end places, and below by the fast casual places. The thinning is probably going to last a long time.

Better food might help. It's hard to justify sitting around a restaurant wasting time, having to wait for service, pay more, and tip, for food that's just a slight cut above McDonalds.

I agree the avg. age in family rests. like BB is probably around 60, especially at dinner. BB doesn't have as strong of dinner menu as Bob Evans or Cracker Barrel. Still, I enjoy eating at these rests. when in the Detroit area. In Canada, family rest. chains were never as strong as in the States and have now all but disappeared. Panera Bread is doing very well here and probably hurting BB as well.

Big Boy feels dated to me. The recipes off and beyond the original following. I think their buffet is still ok if you like alot of salt and oil.
    Last edited by Zacha341; September-06-17 at 12:36 PM.

Flash from the past. I remember when BB was the place to go. We looked forward to it. I can remember the place, the inside, the table layouts, but I can't remember where it was ... Michigan Ave I think.

In the mid-70's, you had your own personal table side juke boxes. Pretty sure it was the one on Gratiot and 9 mile?
    Last edited by Maof; September-07-17 at 06:48 AM.

Idea to revitalize the brand: pop-up slim jim and malt stands.

Quote Originally Posted by fastcarsandfreedom View Post
    ...the chain has been slowly shrinking -- notable that in addition to the recent well-publicized closure of the Detroit location at Jefferson and Grand Blvd that locations in Mt Clemens [[Groesbeck and Cass) and Eastpointe [[Gratiot and 9 Mile) closed within the last couple of weeks as well--not sure which of those may be franchised or corporate -- sad to see nonetheless...truth is most of the locations are in serious need of an overhaul...
    Nine and Gratiot was corporate. They purchased [[ more like strong armed) the store from the owner of the Mack and Vernier store. It seems that every store corporate purchases goes down the drain after corporate acquired the store. Also the owner of corporate recently sold the Grosse Pointe News after operating the newspaper for quite a long time.

I have breakfast occasionally at Mack and Vernier. It's a decent location -- a bit ragged in terms of the décor but business seems pretty brisk for the most part--at least at breakfast/lunch...plus they have a grand total of 3 Big Boy statues on the site.
    Last edited by fastcarsandfreedom; September-06-17 at 08:56 PM.

The Big Boy on Michigan just west of Miller Rd. in Dearborn closed several years ago & never reopened as anything else. The building has been up for sale. Whenever we ate there, the few customers eating were always older or seniors. I believe the Big Boy on Michigan just west of Telegraph is still open.

I used to live near 10 and Ryan. There is a street there that is called "Marcy" but is also called "Big Boy". This is because their headquarters are right there in Warren on that street.

There used to be a Big Boy right at the corner of Marcy[[Big Boy) and Ryan Road. It was literally adjacent to the Big Boy headquarters. It closed years ago.

Not even the Big Boy that is right next to their HQ can stay open.

I think they're firmly in the K-Mart category.

Big Boy is dated and has terrible food. It's basically the Sears or KMart of casual dining.

Would be very surprised if it were around in 10 years.

Quote Originally Posted by msamslex View Post
    I believe the Big Boy on Michigan just west of Telegraph is still open.
    The Big Boy at Michigan Ave and Telegraph just closed in the last month or so.

Count me among those who don't particularly care for the restaurant. It seems like I always had bad experiences when I would go to a Big Boy, regardless of the location. Cold food, disappearing servers, dirty tables, etc. Even during the chain's heyday when I was a kid and it seemed like there was a Big Boy on every corner, I always wondered what the fuss was about.

I grew up and still have connections to the chain. It's not what it used to be as some of the folks at the top just don't get it. Dining trends change....they have a new concept in Cleveland that I think can be the future of the chain as it focuses on a few sandwiches and milkshakes. I think there is still life for Big Boy if some folks would get out of the 1980's but that's not my place to fix. On that note the Big Boy in Burbank,CA [[I live in LA) is constantly busy........

Quote Originally Posted by EstateSale View Post
    The Big Boy at Michigan Ave and Telegraph just closed in the last month or so.

Count me among those who don't particularly care for the restaurant. It seems like I always had bad experiences when I would go to a Big Boy, regardless of the location. Cold food, disappearing servers, dirty tables, etc. Even during the chain's heyday when I was a kid and it seemed like there was a Big Boy on every corner, I always wondered what the fuss was about.
    They have a location on Maple near Livernois. I eat there from time to time, it isn't the London Chop House, but the food is pretty good - hard to screw up a burger and coffee.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    They have a location on Maple near Livernois. I eat there from time to time, it isn't the London Chop House, but the food is pretty good - hard to screw up a burger and coffee.
    You'd be surprised.

There is one on Maple near Livernois and one on John R south of 13 that are both going strong and are crowded much of the time. The food at the one on John R is quite good and much like I remember it from the 70's. Also has a little soda fountain area.

Get a load of this......last time I ate @ the local Big Boy, they had a dinner "special" going on. There was "no-way" I could eat all the food, so I asked for a to-go carton, which they refused. I had to physically "eat" all the food at the restaurant, after talking to the Mgr, I politely exit-ed w/o my leftovers & never returned......never [[the restaurant is currently listed for sale), somebody's not surprised.

You really have to wonder about their corporate strategy. They've closed tons of restaurants and driven franchisees away without opening new ones. The owner owns the Shores-Madrid theater at 9 and Mack which has been closed for years and also just sold the Grosse Pointe News.

Quote Originally Posted by eastland View Post
    You really have to wonder about their corporate strategy. They've closed tons of restaurants and driven franchisees away without opening new ones. The owner owns the Shores-Madrid theater at 9 and Mack which has been closed for years and also just sold the Grosse Pointe News.
    Bob Liggett recently sold the Shores Theater to Al LaHood who plans to renovate the place.

So stupid -- such a policy. I could see it for the buffet where some would saddle up with their own ziplock bags from home, but re. a plate of food brought to your table?! Nuts!

Quote Originally Posted by Smirnoff View Post
    Get a load of this......last time I ate @ the local Big Boy, they had a dinner "special" going on. There was "no-way" I could eat all the food, so I asked for a to-go carton, which they refused. I had to physically "eat" all the food at the restaurant, after talking to the Mgr, I politely exit-ed w/o my leftovers & never returned......never [[the restaurant is currently listed for sale), somebody's not surprised.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast