Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast

Default Henderson Goes Nuclear on Kid Rock/Ilitch

Quote Originally Posted by stinkytofu View Post

I think Henderson should put on his black balaclava, grab his club and puppy-dog shield, and go down there and start beating the crap out of the concert goers.

I am not a fan of Robert Ritchie's music but Stephen Henderson showed his true self in this column. He has been triggered because "Kid Rock" is a white conservative and he is beside himself that a white conservative performer has been selected to open the new arena.

This repugnant column is just another example of a triggered lefty wailing racism when presented with an opinion that differs from their own or with a person who they do not like. It is an extremely weak and childish defense mechanism, but it is all that an intellectually bankrupt lefty has in his arsenal.

If I may lower myself to "culturally appropriate" the tactics of the left, perhaps it is Mr. Henderson who is a racist.
    Last edited by SyGolden48236; September-03-17 at 07:59 AM.

I don't agree with his politics but he does put on a good show [[freebie tickets). Personally, I think it should have been Bob Seeger to open the arena.

Quote Originally Posted by SyGolden48236 View Post
    I am not a fan of Robert Ritchie's music but Stephen Henderson showed his true self in this column. He has been triggered because "Kid Rock" is a white conservative and he is beside himself because a white conservative performer has been selected to open a new arena.

This repugnant column is just another example of a triggered lefty wailing racism when presented with an opinion that differs from their own or with a person who they do not like. It is an extremely weak and childish defense mechanism, but it is all that an intellectually bankrupt lefty has in his arsenal.

If I may lower myself to "culturally appropriate" the tactics of the left, perhaps it is Mr. Henderson who is a racist.
    Right, nothing triggered about your response eh? How dare he point out facts regarding Kid.

Since you want to make this about conservatism and an affront on your beliefs I'll bite and play devils advocate. Since Kid is a white conservative opening the new arena, do you think his choice is insensitive at all in a city that is 80% black and liberal? Add to it the $300 million this city forked over for the project and you still think it's a choice that is respectful to the citizens of Detroit who have little interest in seeing him?

You are getting your panties in a bunch because a Detroiter wanted an act that Detroiters would be interested in. Throw in Kid's past and $300 million from said Detroiters and I think you have a legit argument. Got to love white fraigility.

Quote Originally Posted by southen View Post
    Right, nothing triggered about your response eh? How dare he point out facts regarding Kid.

Since you want to make this about conservatism and an affront on your beliefs I'll bite and play devils advocate. Since Kid is a white conservative opening the new arena, do you think his choice is insensitive at all in a city that is 80% black and liberal? Add to it the $300 million this city forked over for the project and you still think it's a choice that is respectful to the citizens of Detroit who have little interest in seeing him?

You are getting your panties in a bunch because a Detroiter wanted an act that Detroiters would be interested in. Throw in Kid's past and $300 million from said Detroiters and I think you have a legit argument. Got to love white fraigility.
    Once again, I am not a "Kid Rock" fan but Henderson's column spewed his opinions, not necessarily facts.

Not everything has to be about Detroit and Detroiters. The arena is a business and the folks in charge of running it obviously thought that they could sell many tickets and make a good profit by staging Kid Rock's show. But don't get your panties in a bunch. I am certain that going forward there will be plenty of shows that cater to Detroiters.

Would you hold the same view if one were to say that The Palace of Auburn Hills should not host Kanye West or 50 Cent because people in Auburn Hills do not like that kind of music? Or Freedom Hill should not host Beyonce Knowles because most folks in Sterling Heights don't listen to her music?

And as far as so-called "white fragility", you're being absurd. I abhor all forms of racism whether from white toward black or black toward white including the kind that is spewed by Henderson. People need to quit trying to manufacture racial hysteria at every turn. It is tearing our society apart.

So Kid Rock wasn't out there for years with a confederate flag and didn't recently yell "Fuck Colin Kaepernick" at a concert. Ok...

You fail to grasp the very simple concept that the city of Detroit ponied up over $300 million for this arena. Kid Rock can have as many shows as he wants there in the coming years, but booking him as the opening act for a solid week shows that little thought was given to the community that just spent a substantial amount of money for the arena. Please tell me you see that.

Im not being absurd. Henderson's column may not be something you agree with but it is thought out. He is a racist now because he takes into account Kid Rock's past and the community that the arena happens to be in? You can talk about race and racial biases without being a racist. I don't assume you to be one, but you clearly trigger whenever someone criticizes a white conservative. Instead of considering the community you look at Kid Rock and conservatives as victims here, but sure, Henderson is the only one looking at this through a racial lens...

Let them book whoever the hell they want! As stated it's a business! It's BS that a multi billionaire gets help to the tune of 300 million from a struggling city. Let's face it. A majority of the people actually paying their taxes are maybe level headed citizens/business owner who also realize this. Not the no-tax-paying whiners from the rotting neighborhoods that are the first to cry racism. This racism crap is getting so old!

Pretty sad area we live in where trash like Kid Rock is popular.

Quote Originally Posted by One Shot View Post
    Not the no-tax-paying whiners from the rotting neighborhoods that are the first to cry racism. This racism crap is getting so old!
    Claims racism is getting old, then calls the poor and mostly black neighborhoods whiners and race baiters... Since self awareness isn't a strength for you let me be the one to tell you that you might be part of the problem.

So Kid Rock wasn't out there for years with a confederate flag and didn't recently yell "Fuck Colin Kaepernick" at a concert. Ok...

You fail to grasp the very simple concept that the city of Detroit ponied up over $300 million for this arena. Kid Rock can have as many shows as he wants there in the coming years, but booking him as the opening act for a solid week shows that little thought was given to the community that just spent a substantial amount of money for the arena. Please tell me you see that.

Im not being absurd. Henderson's column may not be something you agree with but it is thought out. He is a racist now because he takes into account Kid Rock's past and the community that the arena happens to be in? You can talk about race and racial biases without being a racist. I don't assume you to be one, but you clearly trigger whenever someone criticizes a white conservative. Instead of considering the community you look at Kid Rock and conservatives as victims here, but sure, Henderson is the only one looking at this through a racial lens...
    You bring up Kid Rock's past. What has he said that gives anyone the notion that he is a racist? Having a confederate flag at a concert makes him a racist? I have seen black people in the South with confederate flag stickers on their cars. Oh, I forgot, it is all about feelings nowadays. Feelings are more important than actions. God forbid anyone's feelings get bruised.

Further, exactly how does exclaiming "F**k Colin Kaepernick" at a concert make Kid Rock a racist? I don't think Kid Rock mentioned nor disparaged Kaepernick's race at all. Kapernick is a schmendrick, regardless of his skin color, and he deserves to be called out for his blatant disrespect for the country that gave him the opportunity to rise to the heights that he has risen. If Chris rock said "F**k Colin Kaepernick" would you feel better about it? So now anybody calling out a person of another race for their actions is a racist?

How do you feel about that white trash idiot Eminem yelling out 'F**k Donald Trump" while performing in England earlier this week?

I wonder if Kid Rock's black son thinks his dad is a racist? I wonder if Kid Rock looks down on his son for being black or if he loves him unconditionally and doesn't give a damn about the color of his skin.

And as far as tax dollars being used for the arena you fail to grasp the very simple concept that this was tax money that could not legally be used for schools, police, fire, etc. This money came from the Downtown Development Authority which has been collecting tax money since 1978 to be invested in projects that promote economic development in a defined area of downtown. This money did not come from taxpayers in the neighborhoods, it came from a small percentage of the taxes paid on commercial buildings in the central business district.

Dan Gilbert, being one of the major property owners in the area, a portion of the taxes he paid on his buildings went toward the arena. Many communities fund projects through this mechanism which is known as Tax Increment Financing. The idea is that by investing in projects such as the arena you will spark other investment in the area which will cause property values to rise. In turn property taxes will rise which will generate more money for the city. Again, it is only a small portion of the taxes paid in the area that go to TIF projects.

Property owners like Gilbert benefit because projects like the arena will draw many visitors to downtown. Visitors who will shop in the stores and eat & drink in the restaurants that will rent space in his buildings. And as the area becomes more popular he will be able to increase rents on his properties.

And by the way, don't think for a minute that I consider Kid Rock or conservatives to be victims. Conservatism is winning. The victim mentality is a hallmark of the left.
    Last edited by SyGolden48236; September-03-17 at 11:06 AM.

Claims racism is getting old, then calls the poor and mostly black neighborhoods whiners and race baiters... Since self awareness isn't a strength for you let me be the one to tell you that you might be part of the problem.
    Yup you really turned the tables on me. Go look in the mirror and realize you don't have a backbone. Grow up, Lose the victim mentality and make something of yourself. Quit acting like your a victim of the white man.

Dan Gilbert is a white republican and people here don't seem to mind him. If anything I would even say that Gilbert is very classically republican, he has a vision of being a wealthy business man harnessing the power of capitalism for the benefit of both himself and the community, without much government assistance, and in a positive and inclusive manner. And people here have a lot of bad things to say about the Ilitch family, despite them being democrats.

The fact that Kid Rock has a mixed race son just makes the whole thing sadder. The kid has certainly experienced being treated differently because of the color of his skin. Personal anecdotes aside, enough statistics have been collected that we objectively and factually know that there is racial injustice in our country. When Colin Kaepernick does his thing he is taking his position seriously and responsibly and using his first amendment rights peacefully saying "when the black honor roll students are at the convenience store buying snacks for their school club meeting, the employees shouldn't follow them around the store assuming that they're thieves" or "when a family is looking to rent or buy a home in a good school district they shouldn't be denied or steered away based on the color of their skin". Kid Rock responds with "F**k Colin Kaepernick".

When Kapernick does this he's unamerican and an enemy and must be destroyed. When thousands of Neo Nazis and klansmen descend upon a college town and boldly promise that ~60% of our citizens are subhuman and will either be executed or subjugated once they take power, it's a beautiful display of America's first amendment rights, and saying anything bad about them or counterprotesting them is unamerican.

The confederate flag is a symbol of peace and unity and love, and it should be displayed at every opportunity possible. When someone wants to rename the 99% black school named Robert E. Lee High, it's divisive and mean spirited.
    Last edited by Jason; September-03-17 at 01:05 PM.

You bring up Kid Rock's past. What has he said that gives anyone the notion that he is a racist? Having a confederate flag at a concert makes him a racist? I have seen black people in the South with confederate flag stickers on their cars. Oh, I forgot, it is all about feelings nowadays. Feelings are more important than actions. God forbid anyone's feelings get bruised.

Further, exactly how does exclaiming "F**k Colin Kaepernick" at a concert make Kid Rock a racist? I don't think Kid Rock mentioned nor disparaged Kaepernick's race at all. Kapernick is a schmendrick, regardless of his skin color, and he deserves to be called out for his blatant disrespect for the country that gave him the opportunity to rise to the heights that he has risen. If Chris rock said "F**k Colin Kaepernick" would you feel better about it? So now anybody calling out a person of another race for their actions is a racist?

How do you feel about that white trash idiot Eminem yelling out 'F**k Donald Trump" while performing in England earlier this week?

I wonder if Kid Rock's black son thinks his dad is a racist? I wonder if Kid Rock looks down on his son for being black or if he loves him unconditionally and doesn't give a damn about the color of his skin.

And as far as tax dollars being used for the arena you fail to grasp the very simple concept that this was tax money that could not legally be used for schools, police, fire, etc. This money came from the Downtown Development Authority which has been collecting tax money since 1978 to be invested in projects that promote economic development in a defined area of downtown. This money did not come from taxpayers in the neighborhoods, it came from a small percentage of the taxes paid on commercial buildings in the central business district.

Dan Gilbert, being one of the major property owners in the area, a portion of the taxes he paid on his buildings went toward the arena. Many communities fund projects through this mechanism which is known as Tax Increment Financing. The idea is that by investing in projects such as the arena you will spark other investment in the area which will cause property values to rise. In turn property taxes will rise which will generate more money for the city. Again, it is only a small portion of the taxes paid in the area that go to TIF projects.

Property owners like Gilbert benefit because projects like the arena will draw many visitors to downtown. Visitors who will shop in the stores and eat & drink in the restaurants that will rent space in his buildings. And as the area becomes more popular he will be able to increase rents on his properties.

And by the way, don't think for a minute that I consider Kid Rock or conservatives to be victims. Conservatism is winning. The victim mentality is a hallmark of the left.
    I couldnt have said it better. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by One Shot View Post
    Yup you really turned the tables on me. Go look in the mirror and realize you don't have a backbone. Grow up, Lose the victim mentality and make something of yourself. Quit acting like your a victim of the white man.
    I'm white and run my own business. This in no way effects me. I just grow tired of DBs.

Kid Rock for Senate? HELL NO!

Kid Rock for President.

You do realize that most Detroiters don't even pay property tax right? Perhaps 1 in 4? And the ones that do the right thing are probably not the hateful and racists ones that have an issue with who the first performer is at LCA. The smart ones will want the acts that play there to be the ones that bring in the most money and people from outside the city,... hoping they'll leave a bunch of their money behind.

But hateful racists like Henderson can only see color. To them,.. everything is brown v.s. white.

I read Henderson's article and I couldn't see any other way to interpret it than straight up racism. I bet he thought long and hard about how to come up with a racists slant on a local music artist [[the one with perhaps the biggest draw) being the first act in a new arena.

This Henderson should be embarrassed. Perhaps fired. His racism is out of control. I watched as 2 other people read the same article,.. and both were disgusted.

It's clear who is a racist sympathizer and who isn't on this blog. Sad to see that still alive.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdd View Post
    You do realize that most Detroiters don't even pay property tax right? Perhaps 1 in 4? And the ones that do the right thing are probably not the hateful and racists ones that have an issue with who the first performer is at LCA. The smart ones will want the acts that play there to be the ones that bring in the most money and people from outside the city,... hoping they'll leave a bunch of their money behind.

But hateful racists like Henderson can only see color. To them,.. everything is brown v.s. white.

I read Henderson's article and I couldn't see any other way to interpret it than straight up racism. I bet he thought long and hard about how to come up with a racists slant on a local music artist [[the one with perhaps the biggest draw) being the first act in a new arena.

This Henderson should be embarrassed. Perhaps fired. His racism is out of control. I watched as 2 other people read the same article,.. and both were disgusted.
    Assuming what you say is true [[which im not) most Detroiters don't pay property taxes, therefore they don't deserve to have a voice with how their city allocates the money it spends? Deal with crime, poor schools, and billionaires getting hundreds of millions in handouts. Also, by your sound logic, if you pay property taxes you are enlightened, but if you don't you are hateful and racist? Oh and they are probably dumb because all of the smart people will realize that Kid will bring in tax dollars, tax dollars that will likely go to more tax breaks for downtown, but hey, that part of downtown isn't for them anyway right?

Thought long and hard? He clearly laid out Kid Rock's past and how that may be viewed by people of color. It isn't like he fabricated Kid Rock sporting a confederate flag or disparaging an African American athlete fighting for rights, that is part of the conversation. Perhaps the problem here is that you find both of those things completely acceptable.

Do you find it at all interesting that you don't like Stephen analyzing this because you feel he is unfairly labeling Kid Rock a racist, but you have no problem calling out 3/4s of Detroiters as dumb, racist and tax cheats? You don't see color though right?

or disparaging an African American athlete fighting for rights.
    Exactly how does exclaiming "F**k Colin Kaepernick" at a concert make Kid Rock a racist? Kid Rock never mentioned nor disparaged Kaepernick's race at all. Kapernick is a schmendrick, regardless of his skin color, and he deserves to be called out for his blatant disrespect for the country that gave him the opportunity to rise to the heights that he has risen. If Chris rock said "F**k Colin Kaepernick" would it be permissible in your view? So now anybody calling out a person of another race for their actions is a racist?

Perhaps the problem here is that you, and Henderson, have such a myopic world view that you cannot view anything except through the lens of race. What a sad existence it must be to go through life trying to make every issue into a racial incident. But hey, Al Sharpton became very wealthy doing this so it may work for you.

Exactly how does exclaiming "F**k Colin Kaepernick" at a concert make Kid Rock a racist? Kid Rock never mentioned nor disparaged Kaepernick's race at all. Kapernick is a schmendrick, regardless of his skin color, and he deserves to be called out for his blatant disrespect for the country that gave him the opportunity to rise to the heights that he has risen. If Chris rock said "F**k Colin Kaepernick" would it be permissible in your view? So now anybody calling out a person of another race for their actions is a racist?

Perhaps the problem here is that you, and Henderson, have such a myopic world view that you cannot view anything except through the lens of race. What a sad existence it must be to go through life trying to make every issue into a racial incident. But hey, Al Sharpton became very wealthy doing this so it may work for you.
    A whole lotta white folks made a lot of money by avoiding to make an issue of racial incidents. they didn't hafta worry about it.

So what if one guy made money from racializing everything. Millions did on the backs of blacks in your country before he did. Making a buck is all about freedom isn't it? What's the big deal about not singing the anthem? it's not like he looted a store or broke the arm off a statue of General Lee, is it?

Assuming what you say is true [[which im not) most Detroiters don't pay property taxes, therefore they don't deserve to have a voice with how their city allocates the money it spends? Deal with crime, poor schools, and billionaires getting hundreds of millions in handouts. Also, by your sound logic, if you pay property taxes you are enlightened, but if you don't you are hateful and racist? Oh and they are probably dumb because all of the smart people will realize that Kid will bring in tax dollars, tax dollars that will likely go to more tax breaks for downtown, but hey, that part of downtown isn't for them anyway right?
    You're much like Henderson. Take a few tidbits and then weave a big racists story from it. Perhaps 1/3 of Detroiters own property. And 47% of the owned property hasn't had it's taxes paid. So you know,.. perhaps 1/5th of Detroiters actually pay property taxes? [[either because they don't own any,.. or because they can't pay them). If YOU view those people as cheats,.. then that's YOUR right. I didn't call them that, you did.

The point is,.. very few Detroit have real skin in the game. If you don't help pay Detroit's bills,.. then yes,.,. I don't want to hear your mouth move. Your opinion is worthless.

Thought long and hard? He clearly laid out Kid Rock's past and how that may be viewed by people of color. It isn't like he fabricated Kid Rock sporting a confederate flag or disparaging an African American athlete fighting for rights, that is part of the conversation. Perhaps the problem here is that you find both of those things completely acceptable.
    Viewed by people of color? No one has ever shown him to be a racist in any way. If some group of people have made up something in their own minds,.. then that's THEIR problem.

So in your mind,. the Confederate flag means only one thing? Slavery? And anyone who has ever flown the flag must be pro-slavery? You're kidding right?

Of course Confederates and slave owners were all Democrats,.. and most Detroiters are Democrats,... so they must have gotten over it right?

Do you find it at all interesting that you don't like Stephen analyzing this because you feel he is unfairly labeling Kid Rock a racist, but you have no problem calling out 3/4s of Detroiters as dumb, racist and tax cheats? You don't see color though right?
    I don't think Henderson was analyzing anything. I think he's just a flaming racist that hates anyone who is not black. And he likes to create division for his own fun and profit. Blame others in stead of taking personal responsibility. That's his game.

So who should LCA have booked? Aretha Franklin? She has a hard time selling 2,500 seats these days. LCA needs to book acts that can sell 20,000. Or perhaps LCA should have booked someone from out of town like Beyonce? Of course Henderson would then be lambasting LCA for not booking a local act. But the reality is,.. the only local acts that can sell that many seats are who? Kid Rock, Eminem and Bob Seager? Ted Nugent only plays 7,000 seat arenas these days.

Non-racists in Detroit have one thing on their mind,... Success! Book big acts. Sell lots of seats. Sell lots of parking spots. Sell lots of dinners. Sell lots of drinks. Make the area a success. Lift everyone up. Yes the rich will get richer. But the employed get better jobs and raises. Some unemployed will become employed,.. and those that are still unemployed now become easier for everyone else to support.

Or you can go with Henderson's approach,... scream racism and try to bring it all down.

The morally and ethically bankrupt see brown and white. Successful people see a different color,.... green. Your choice.

There's an old saying,.. "A lair trusts no man". Why? Because the lair is always lying,.. and he presumes everyone else is a liar. Same goes for racists. People who ARE racists presume everyone else is too. And they view everything as race.

The first person to bring up race is almost always the most racists person in the room. Others are thinking dollars, jobs, infrastructure, easements, right-of-way, security, national image, conventions, etc..... and a guy like Henderson can only see racism.
    Last edited by Bigdd; September-04-17 at 03:49 PM.

I assumed that the they booked whom they could get.

Last time I checked the big names do tours and they do your city when it comes up.

I haven't paid much attention to the acts, but Bocelli is doing LCA when he is doing his U.S. tour just like the Sistine Chorus is doing Detroit [[Opera House) when they are doing their 3-city tour.

That said, I assume it is a 'soft opening' so they could have opted for a lesser name, if they wished.

I assume they didn't want to wait and do a [[pre-season) hockey game as the opening event.

I'm still amazed that there is this controversy. On an importance scale of 1 - 10, I'll give it a '1.'
    Last edited by emu steve; September-04-17 at 02:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by emu steve View Post
    I'm still amazed that there is this controversy. On an importance scale of 1 - 10, I'll give it a '1.'
    Totally agree. Although I think it's even dumber than Trump when entertainers like Kid Rock get political during their shows [[they can do whatever they want when not on stage). When Rock yells "F--- Kaepernick" I picture the crowd responds "F--- Yeah!" then turns to their buddy and says either "What did he say?" or "Who's Kaepernick?"

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast