Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Default Use of Taser by MSP trooper questioned

Well this is going national soon if not all ready....

Trooper responsible for death of teen who fled on ATV, attorney says
    http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/in..._death_of.html

Vigil for teen killed while fleeing police turns to protest
    http://www.freep.com/story/news/loca...oit/105142514/

Detroit police Chief James Craig calls alleged use of Taser by MSP trooper inappropriate
    https://www.clickondetroit.com/news/...-inappropriate

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    [I]Well this is going national soon if not all ready....
    Yeah, when King Don gives him a medal of valor.

"Kilt another one! Way To Go! Make America a Police State again"

Being the devils advocate here...Has anyone thought about the consequences of this boy driving this ATV at high speeds on the sidewalk trying to elude the police? Children playing, people walking? He could have killed a number of them, simply because he wouldn't stop. Why didn't he stop if he was such a "good, upstanding boy"? The trooper may have been wrong for tasing him while he was chasing him, but the trooper may have saved a lot of lives by doing so. Everyone is so quick to judge and blame law enforcement for trying to do their jobs, making split second decisions and sometimes not following protocol...sometimes to prevent a worse disaster.

I feel bad for the kid and his parents, they paid a heavy price for his stupidity. The cop on the other hand should have known better, and should have controlled his reactions [[Assuming that all of what reported is true and out in the open).

This ATV craze has become a major issue in many urban areas and is a huge burden on law enforcement. It has to be extremely frustrating to see these kids endangering themselves and innocent pedestrians, but have little ability to do anything about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLA2DOvQLeI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nb90qz2FwxQ
    Last edited by Johnnny5; September-02-17 at 11:49 AM.

I see Feiger's still as big of an asshole as he always was.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    The biggest ambulance chaser of them all. Quick to go after deep pockets, no offer to help a hard working trooper trying to protect and serve.
    Last edited by cla1945; September-02-17 at 10:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Note the racially charged term "cowboy" he uses to describe the presumably white State Trooper.

Are ATV's even street legal?

Quote Originally Posted by Maof View Post
    Off road use only where I am at,they are hard to control on hard pavement also,a little twitch and they flip.

Like Jonnny5 posted it seems to be a craze. We have them in groups up to 10 that will ride abreast 2 lanes blocking traffic.

The police do not chase them,but they do follow them in a undercover car and then arrest them when they get home.

They are not legal on any city street.

8:56 onward of the Detroit race vid looks like the police are checking one of the riders at the gas station sans the taser technique.

Great! More accident inducing nonsense added to already distracted drivers texting on, and running stop lights etc. Bring on the SNOW I'd almost want to say as much as I hate winter!!!

An idea to help avoid interaction with these ATV's is when you see one come thru, there are usually more coming, so DON'T, don't change lanes!

Let them come thru. Jumping lanes increases the risk of them hitting you. Some aren't wearing head protection either.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post
    This ATV craze has become a major issue in many urban areas and is a huge burden on law enforcement. It has to be extremely frustrating to see these kids endangering themselves and innocent pedestrians, but have little ability to do anything about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nb90qz2FwxQ
    Last edited by Zacha341; September-03-17 at 07:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Maof View Post
    Not even close.

So the parents thought it was ok to let him ride this thing thru the streets? I feel bad the kid lost his life and what the trooper did wasn't according to the books but what were his parents thinking? I wonder if they purchased it for him or if he was riding on a friends.
    Last edited by Maof; September-03-17 at 10:24 AM.

Another example that goes beyond 'either/ or' -- It's both: Wrong met Wrong!

Having said that the teen did not deserve to die for his misuse of the ATV.

Damon Grimes loosing control after being tazed while driving an ATV on a busy city street is hardly surprising.

What was the trooper thinking to fire a tazer out of squad car? What outcome was he expecting?

Others could have been killed as Grimes reacted to the stun.
    Last edited by Zacha341; September-03-17 at 08:37 AM.

Damon Grimes loosing control after being tazed while driving an ATV on a busy city street is hardly surprising.

What was the trooper thinking to fire a tazer out of squad car? What outcome was he expecting?

I had a go-cart when I was in the 9th grade. Several of my friends had go-carts as well. We would meet up in a church parking lot or the mall parking lot. I didn’t ride my go-cart on city streets – my dad loaded it up and trucked me to where we could ride. I never thought about riding it on public streets – go-cart vs. car, or go-cart vs. truck, neither of those scenarios would bode well for the go-cart.
    To the fucking trooper that fired a taser, out of the window of a moving vehicle [[wild west), you’re fucking crazy and fired.

Quote Originally Posted by cla1945 View Post
    Being the devils advocate here...Has anyone thought about the consequences of this boy driving this ATV at high speeds on the sidewalk trying to elude the police? Children playing, people walking? He could have killed a number of them, simply because he wouldn't stop. Why didn't he stop if he was such a "good, upstanding boy"? The trooper may have been wrong for tasing him while he was chasing him, but the trooper may have saved a lot of lives by doing so. Everyone is so quick to judge and blame law enforcement for trying to do their jobs, making split second decisions and sometimes not following protocol...sometimes to prevent a worse disaster.
    Devil's advocate here: Should we arm police helicopters and drones with hellfire missiles and use them to take out vehicles that speed or drive recklessly? Think of all the lives they are endangering by going too fast, they could hit someone or run over a pedestrian. By just blowing up speeders with hellfire missiles, the police may save a lot of lives.

Right now mini bikes and ATV's are not required to have any form of license plate. A plate would be advantageous to trace offenders endangering the public.

Capturing info on the plate would probably lead the fining of parents for allowing their teens to ride illegally.

Quote Originally Posted by clubboss View Post
    I had a go-cart when I was in the 9th grade. Several of my friends had go-carts as well. We would meet up in a church parking lot or the mall parking lot. I didn’t ride my go-cart on city streets – my dad loaded it up and trucked me to where we could ride. I never thought about riding it on public streets – go-cart vs. car, or go-cart vs. truck, neither of those scenarios would bode well for the go-cart.
    To the fucking trooper that fired a taser, out of the window of a moving vehicle [[wild west), you’re fucking crazy and fired.

Quote Originally Posted by aj3647 View Post
    Devil's advocate here: Should we arm police helicopters and drones with hellfire missiles and use them to take out vehicles that speed or drive recklessly? Think of all the lives they are endangering by going too fast, they could hit someone or run over a pedestrian.

Chases should be outlawed with exceptions for felony subjects. Once a chase begins, the fleeing driver tends to get scared [[or determined) and far more reckless/dangerous. Plus, instead of one speeding vehicle, you have two, three or ten or more in some cases.

I can remember any number of chases where a 5-0 or 6-0 unit would ORDER all pursuing units to terminate except the first [[primary) and second [[backup) unit. Others would position themselves to take over if one of the two primary units had to drop out for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Zozo View Post
    Note the racially charged term "cowboy" he uses to describe the presumably white State Trooper.
    What's racially charged about the term "cowboy?"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cowboy...e_associations

"Cowboy" as an adjective for "reckless" developed in the 1920s.[6] "Cowboy" is sometimes used today in a derogatory sense to describe someone who is reckless or ignores potential risks, irresponsible or who heedlessly handles a sensitive or dangerous task.[
    So it would seem to be a correct and apt use of the word, given the circumstances.

So so it would be better if he just ran over or crashed and killed pedestrians while driving like a maniac?

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Chases should be outlawed with exceptions for felony subjects.

If a law's not enforced, it ends up being ignored [[Just like the illegal immigration mess we're now dealing with). When the blue lights show up in the rear view mirror everyone would just be hitting the gas pedal.

Quote Originally Posted by aj3647 View Post
    Devil's advocate here: Should we arm police helicopters and drones with hellfire missiles and use them to take out vehicles that speed or drive recklessly? Think of all the lives they are endangering by going too fast, they could hit someone or run over a pedestrian. By just blowing up speeders with hellfire missiles, the police may save a lot of lives.
    Police are damned if they do the right thing...damned if they don't do the right thing. I would vote for whatever would stop these idiots from putting others in harms way. By telling the public that there will be no more chases in Detroit is giving speeders, traffic offenders and others carte blanche to run. Would you want to be in the way of a person behind the wheel of a speeding vehicle who doesn't give a damn?

^^^ It's a bad scene and the increasing lawlessness on the roads has impacted my driving habits. I try to combine as many trips as possible and stay off the roads. Too many folks running lights with impunity -- while staring into a phone, texting or just as dare, whatever.

I would not want to be a law enforcement officer in these times. The rouge officers make it bad for all.
    Last edited by Zacha341; September-07-17 at 08:53 AM.

Grimes was already driving recklessly. Which only increased by being chased!

Not a good situation agreed. HOWEVER, the local/state police decide daily rather to break off car-to-car chases! They must execute the same judgement with these vehicles, and tazing thru a window while in motion was very poor judgement on the officers part.

Partial solution: These vehicles need to be plated [[as are motorcycles) so that information can be captured and the owners located and heavily fined. I think this action would go far to make parents think twice about letting their kids drive them illegally.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    So so it would be better if he just ran over or crashed and killed pedestrians while driving like a maniac?
    Last edited by Zacha341; September-12-17 at 03:01 PM.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast