Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Definitely glad Cobo 's name is gone. Hopefully, the TFC sponsorship will provide the necessary funds to maintain the building. As DetroitSoldier said, time will tell.

"You know, the way all baby boomers and millennials who grew up attending outdoor concerts at Pine Knob now reflexively refer to
    that
    venue as … wait, don't tell me! I know this one. …"

This sentence from today's Freep article says it all. The majority of locals will still be calling it Cobo until they tear the place down. It is a nice way to make some money for the city and to confuse tourists.

This

Quote Originally Posted by 65memories View Post
    Definitely glad Cobo 's name is gone. Hopefully, the TFC sponsorship will provide the necessary funds to maintain the building. As DetroitSoldier said, time will tell.
    Every little bit helps but 1.5 million/year will clean the windows and not much else. They really need to book some big conventions to replace the auto show revenues. By replace the auto show revenues, what is happening is they are moving from a dead time mid-Nov. to mid-Jan. for set-up and show to May/June when convention centers are busier.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post
    "You know, the way all baby boomers and millennials who grew up attending outdoor concerts at Pine Knob now reflexively refer to
    that
    venue as … wait, don't tell me! I know this one. …"

This sentence from today's Freep article says it all. The majority of locals will still be calling it Cobo until they tear the place down. It is a nice way to make some money for the city and to confuse tourists.

This
    At 36 and at the high end of millenials most people age my age and younger dont call DTE Pine Knob. I was 18 when they changed the name, I never saw a show there when it was Pine Knob. The Cobo name will go away is like it is for Pine Knob

Is there still a Hubbard Drive in Dearborn? Is Hubbard's statue still standing? Asking for a friend...

Quote Originally Posted by MSUguy View Post
    At 36 and at the high end of millenials most people age my age and younger dont call DTE Pine Knob. I was 18 when they changed the name, I never saw a show there when it was Pine Knob. The Cobo name will go away is like it is for Pine Knob
    Even today, you'll still hear older folks slip up and call Macy's "Hudson's."

Hubbard remains. Ending southwest at Evergreen I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat001 View Post
    Is there still a Hubbard Drive in Dearborn? Is Hubbard's statue still standing? Asking for a friend...

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Even today, you'll still hear older folks slip up and call Macy's "Hudson's."
    Crap, I'm older folks now.

Don't feel bad.... I still call the bridge to Belle Isle "the MacArthur Bridge"...

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Don't feel bad.... I still call the bridge to Belle Isle "the MacArthur Bridge"...
    You had me there. I was about to ask if it had been changed.

But will there be TCF carpet inside, ala the COBO carpet of the 90's?

LOL! I almost would be [[I remember those olive-green polkadot Hudsons shopping bags) but I mostly came on board for heavy shopping when Macy's came about.

Before that I was the 'artist' type relative to clothes. Or I was at Winklemans and Lerner's!!

Quote Originally Posted by archfan View Post
    Crap, I'm older folks now.

Definitely glad Cobo 's name is gone.
    Life is so much simpler when you can just erase complex history. Now we just have a glorious corporate entity to celebrate, and as dear Sen. Elizabeth Warren knows they are never evil.

Hopefully, the TFC sponsorship will provide the necessary funds to maintain the building.
    If there's one certainty here, its that none of this money will be an increase to Cobo Hall's, I mean TCF Place's budget.

As DetroitSoldier said, time will tell.
    OK, here's one more certainty. Cobo will always be more significant to Detroit's history than any bank with a meaningless TLA.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    Life is so much simpler when you can just erase complex history. Now we just have a glorious corporate entity to celebrate...

And once again, History rewrites itself.

This is why I'm completely opposed to naming things and places after people. One group does it to memorialize or honor a person from their time. Years or decades later, someone else begins to take offense. Corporatization is even worse. How many times do companies change names over the years? Will the city be obligated to pay for all the maps and published documents if this bank changes their name again?

Why wasn't this originally given some regional but otherwise innocuous name like Riverfront Center?

^^^ Yes, I'm with you on this Meddle, all things considered.

The corporate naming rights thing goes back a long way and actually was kind of backward. In the early '50's the Busch family wanted to change the name of Sportmen's Park in St. Louis to Budweiser but MLB said no. They instead changed it to Busch Stadium and came out with Busch beer to capitalize on their family name being on a ballpark. The Astros may have been the 1st team to get a big sponsorship with Enron Field. That didn't go so well and they paid a couple of million to buy back the name.
    Last edited by 401don; September-02-19 at 09:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    Life is so much simpler when you can just erase complex history. Now we just have a glorious corporate entity to celebrate, and as dear Sen. Elizabeth Warren knows they are never evil.

Refusing to celebrate a racist by putting his name on the city's only convention center is hardly "erasing history." Not only is it moral, it's just good business - in more ways than one in this case.

If there's one certainty here, its that none of this money will be an increase to Cobo Hall's, I mean TCF Place's budget.

Really? How is this a certainty? Do you know something everyone else doesn't know?

OK, here's one more certainty. Cobo will always be more significant to Detroit's history than any bank with a meaningless TLA.
    Again, I suppose that remains to be seen. I've lived in Detroit for 15 years now. I'm fully aware of the history around Mayor Cobo but quite frankly, a bank that builds a tower downtown, grants me a loan, and invests in the city will have a bigger impact on my life - and I suspect all modern Detroiters - than Cobo ever did. In fact, many Detroiters, including government agencies, are actively working every day to UNDO a lot of Cobo's signature accomplishments...

^^ I screwed up the reply with quote and was not allowed to edit... some of my thoughts look as if they are part of Wesley's original quote.

I don't mind losing the Cobo name, but I haven't the faintest hope of remembering TFC, or FCT, or THC or -- what was that again?

Quote Originally Posted by Sandhouse View Post
    I don't mind losing the Cobo name, but I haven't the faintest hope of remembering TFC, or FCT, or THC or -- what was that again?
    It's the same with cars. All the classic names have been replaced with letter/number combinations that nobody will recognize. Just as well I guess, since most are on boring suv's.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3