Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Where can I find old photos of store fronts of Detroit Bldg from 50's/60?

Seems like libraries, historical societies etc. only cover downtown. I am looking for material for Grand River and Greenfield [[NW side of Detroit). Any suggestions?

There have been quite a few threads here about that area, but I can't recall if any of them included period photos.

Going to try Manning Brothers. They did commercial photography.

I can't recall seeing anything from the 50s and 60s, but there's a thread I created that specifically shows photos of 7 Mile and Gratiot from the 80s.

https://www.detroityes.com/mb/showth...le-and-Gratiot

The thread below also have a couple 1950s-ish photos of 7 Mile and Gratiot [[where the McDonald's sits now)...

http://www.atdetroit.net/forum/messa...tml?1182005933
    Last edited by 313WX; August-26-17 at 01:13 PM.

What specifically are you looking for? What kind of information? I remember the Wards and Kresges, Federals, Heathkit and a few others.

Arena Skate Club on Greenfield behind Cunninghams, Baldoni's Hardware 15716 Grand River, American Legion Post 190 at 13980 Greenfield, Woolworth at 15540 Grand River Ave. etc. I have a lot of photos of Wards, Federals, Cunnninghams and Meyers plus Hughes, Hatcher and Suffrins.

Not quite what you were looking for, but here's a now/then pair of photos of Fromm's Hardware, 8670 Grand River. Worked there in high school and one year at WSU. Learned more there that served me in later life than all the schooling together. Early photo c. 1953, today's photo from Google street view.

Ray,
    You make a good argument for my project. So many of the buildings are gone from our past. I'm trying to look at Manning Brothers as a last resort after spending years going through archives at WSU, Burton Library, Detroit Architect, Bentley Library, Library of Congress, Michigan Archives etc.
    Toss in finding pics in the backs of local high schools, I've looked under every rock to get them.