Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default did anyone watch the DPS Town hall meeting?

On Sunday, Channel 56 televised the public meeting regarding DPS. Mayor Bing, Kym Worthy & Robert Bobb presided. I think Evans was there too. I hope a few suburbanites watched too! The meeting lasted hours and I admit that I didn't catch all of it. I was proud at how articulate our teachers, support staff, suppliers, parents and students were. Many provided low cost solutions. Loud and clear though was security concerns. Also loud and clear was how tired concerned citizens were at these meetings producing nothing in terms of action. One young man summed it up quite well, You talk about cost but "my grandma told me it don't cost nothing to listen". So many valid concerns and solutions were offered. DPS is on its last legs, lets hope this meeting counted for something since so many people waited so many hours to be heard.

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    On Sunday, Channel 56 televised the public meeting regarding DPS. Mayor Bing, Kym Worthy & Robert Bobb presided. I think Evans was there too. I hope a few suburbanites watched too! The meeting lasted hours and I admit that I didn't catch all of it. I was proud at how articulate our teachers, support staff, suppliers, parents and students were. Many provided low cost solutions. Loud and clear though was security concerns. Also loud and clear was how tired concerned citizens were at these meetings producing nothing in terms of action. One young man summed it up quite well, You talk about cost but "my grandma told me it don't cost nothing to listen". So many valid concerns and solutions were offered. DPS is on its last legs, lets hope this meeting counted for something since so many people waited so many hours to be heard.
    its a ploy to get rid of public schools altogether

"...my grandma told me it don't cost nothing to listen..."

Perhaps that person meant to say that his grandmother has told him that it costs nothing to listen.
    DPS has a poor track record for teaching grammar!

Quote Originally Posted by Bobl View Post
    "...my grandma told me it don't cost nothing to listen..."

Perhaps that person meant to say that his grandmother has told him that it costs nothing to listen.
    DPS has a poor track record for teaching grammar!
    How do you know his Grammar went to DPS?

I'm glad you noticed my pun.
    A friend had a Latin Grammar text book in high school. He changed the printed title to read: Beatin Gramma.
    Our instructor, Fr. Desrosiers, made him cover the book with brown paper from a grocery bag.
    No sense of humor!

Seriously, I was impressed with our local citizens, educators, students, security and vendors. Jokes about the student that impressed me were a bit out of line. He was quoting his grandmother's wisdom. It isn't hard to fathom that she lacked education. That is not to say she lacked wisdom.

If the school system is broke, financially, morally and no leadership at the top... dismantle it. I just wanted to make the point that I was proud to see involved citizens, who are articulate and care about our children.

48302 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    Seriously, I was impressed with our local citizens, educators, students, security and vendors. Jokes about the student that impressed me were a bit out of line. He was quoting his grandmother's wisdom. It isn't hard to fathom that she lacked education. That is not to say she lacked wisdom.

If the school system is broke, financially, morally and no leadership at the top... dismantle it. I just wanted to make the point that I was proud to see involved citizens, who are articulate and care about our children.
    so why does it matter if the people in the suburbs saw it?

I'm also glad to see folks coming out to offer suggestions for DPS. Teachers have been making suggestions for years but no one seems to want to listen to us. I think it's great that the young man was quoting his grandmother. So many young people don't seem to listen to anyone [[typical for teens, though). At least this kid is remembering all of those "words of wisdom"; so many kids don't think their grandparents have anything worthwhile to say because they "just don't understand this generation". I wish more kids would talk to their elders and soak in those words of wisdom.

Sorry, Sumas.
    I did not intend to disrespect anyone or dismiss your post.

Something has to be done about the charter schools that play the game of enrolling more students than they can deal with and then axing them as soon as they get their money. Certainly between the legislators of Detroit and public school backers some sort of law could be written to deal with this. Southfield schools are getting drained too by charters.