Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default DTW gets new airline, w/ direct flight to Iceland

WOW air, an ultra low cost airline just announced they are adding DTW to their network in Spring 2018.

WOW is based in Iceland, and their network model is to have all US and Canadian flights connect in their Iceland hub, with other WOW flights to European airports. In essence, they provide a cheap way to get to Europe or Iceland.

It's business model is similar to Spirit Airlines in offering very low fares, and charging fees for just about everything else [[seat selection, carry on bags, food and drink, etc). Unlike Delta which caters more toward business travelers, airlines like WOW cater to the more budget conscious tourist market in providing a no frills and lower cost air service across the pond.

Excited to see them add DTW!

So excited for this! This is going to be huge competition for Delta. The bf and I were thinking about a Germany/Poland jaunt next year and if we can get cheap flights into Copenhagen [[which is on the list) for cheap, it would be awesome. Can't wait! That's so cool also for the other cities that are getting new or more European service, [[Cinncy, STL, and Cleveland for what it's worth).

Anyone flown with them? Looks like you can get round trip flights to Europe for around $400, which is amazing. I don't mind Spirit, as long as I go in knowing I'm getting bare minimum service.

With DTW being a fortress hub for Delta, it's very difficult getting other airlines to offer direct flights from here that are successful and competitive [[Spirit is the exception because it's a low cost alternative and it was already a Detroit-based airline). That's why British Airways and Virgin Atlantic both backed out with their direct flights to London and that's also why American Airlines doesn't offer direct flights from DTW to LAX.

And frankly, in response to dtowncitylover's post, I think we fail to realize how good we have it. For a region that has been rapidly shrinking population-wise and economically-speaking for the past 40 years [[relative to other metro areas), the fact that we can book a direct flight to just about any city despite our increasing irrelevance is a blessing. The only reason DTW remained a hub after the Northwest Airline acquisition is because Delta was jizzing over the brand spanking new McNamara Terminal. Poor Cincinnati, who got screwed over in the deal, has much higher origin & departures numbers than we do as well as a larger encatchment area of potential passengers [[11 million vs. around 7 million here). Furthermore, with DTW being smashed between YYZ and ORD / MDW, there's very little incentive for folks outside of the immediate Metro Detroit area to fly through DTW when they can catch a cheaper flight in Toronto or Chicago.

DTW is an airport that functions primarily a transfer point for east coast passengers [[in other words, a fairly low number of folks actually leave the terminal compared to other airports). Most of the remaining passengers are tied to automotive-related business travel. Heck, there's even been frequent discussion about closing off Concourse C in the McNamara Terminal due to the lack of traffic, and the North Terminal is practically a ghost town on a typical weekday.

So with all of that said, this is great news and I definitely wish "WOW" them the best of luck [[they will need it).
    Last edited by 313WX; August-23-17 at 05:32 PM.

I don't mind ******, as long as I go in knowing I'm getting bare minimum service.
    Only ONE employee to drag you off the plane ???

I always like to anticipate future trends and I think we have run our course with low cost anything especially traveling. Was great for the past 2 decades but since then flying has become such a pain in the arse that it better come with more incentives than just price to get many to consider flying.

I see travelers gravitating towards a better experience. Something only the ultra rich experience but at an accessible price. I think smaller planes [[private jet size) at higher frequency flying to more destinations in the future. Will make small airports like City Airport viable again.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigb23 View Post
    Only ONE employee to drag you off the plane ???
    You might be referring to United 3411.
    On April 9, 2017, O'Hare International Airport police violently and forcibly ejected passenger David Dao from United Express Flight 3411 after he refused to depart the airplane upon the demand of management. Dao screamed as officers pulled him out of his seat, and his face hit an armrest during the strugglewhich they accomplished by first slamming his face into the arm rest and then dragging the injured and bleeding man from the aircraft.. Officers then dragged him, apparently unconscious, by his arms on his back along the aircraft aisle past rows of onlooking passengers....
    Afterwards, the CEO of United, Oscar Munoz, described Dao as "disruptive and belligerent", apologized for "re-accommodating" the paying customers [Dao had already paid], and defended and praised the staff for "following established procedures", which was widely criticized as "tone-deaf".
    United's board decided that Munoz would not assume the role of Chairman for the company and that executive compensation would be tied to customer satisfaction. Airline passenger complaints increased by 70 percent.
    One more parasitic saboteur was [potentially] removed from even greater power.
    Last edited by Jimaz; August-23-17 at 10:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    United's board decided that Munoz would not assume the role of Chairman for the company and that executive compensation would be tied to customer satisfaction. Airline passenger complaints increased by 70 percent.
    One more parasitic saboteur was [potentially] removed from even greater power.

You, of course, are referring to Oscar Munoz.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; August-24-17 at 04:14 AM.

In April of this year, a relative who lives in the San Fransisco area traveled to Paris on Wow. They had to fly to Iceland first, change planes & then fly onto Paris & do the same on the return trip. Fly to Iceland from Paris, change planes & fly back to San Fransisco. I believe they had a three to four hour layover in Iceland before flying back to the states. I told them about Wow coming here & they told me they paid $549.00 round trip & got an email yesterday with a round trip ticket price for $298.00.

Quote Originally Posted by msamslex View Post
    In April of this year, a relative who lives in the San Fransisco area traveled to Paris on Wow. They had to fly to Iceland first, change planes & then fly onto Paris & do the same on the return trip. Fly to Iceland from Paris, change planes & fly back to San Fransisco. I believe they had a three to four hour layover in Iceland before flying back to the states. I told them about Wow coming here & they told me they paid $549.00 round trip & got an email yesterday with a round trip ticket price for $298.00.
    It is an inconvenience no doubt, plus there are extra fees and unexpected costs that will be incurred. But even with that factored in, it will still be a flight option that is considerably less costly than anything that exists currently for DTW transatlantic flying. And that is a good thing.

A lot of mixed reviews on Trip Adviser and other travel sites.
    Different travelers desire a higher level of service and some think the low cost is worth it. Some good reviews below.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Airline_...OW-Air#REVIEWS

Hopefully Detroit gets more European visitors out of this deal.

Of course the fatter wallets are heading to NY and SanFran but maybe there is demand in Iceland and Europe for more affordable American destinations like the D.

A budget oriented carrier from over there to DTW could be a nice fit with the affordable hotel rates downtown in comparison to other cities stateside.

This is good news. Reykjavik I've always heard good things about, and the whole episode with Icelanders kicking out their bankers was an amazing disruption to the status quo. Even back in the 1980s when I was living in London, flights up to Iceland Reykjavik were super expensive for the distanced traveled- 550 GBP one way, from memory.

I would rather pay a few dollars more and not have to sit in Iceland for four hours, or pray that the plane doesn't have mechanical problems [[discount airlines almost never have spare backup capacity). I also don't want to risk lost luggage and want to choose my seat [[hate back of the plane).

That said, good news, considering our options to Europe are limited and basically just Delta.

^^ I think a lot of people would rather sit in Iceland than Metro.

Quote Originally Posted by night-timer View Post
    This is good news. Reykjavik I've always heard good things about, and the whole episode with Icelanders kicking out their bankers was an amazing disruption to the status quo. Even back in the 1980s when I was living in London, flights up to Iceland Reykjavik were super expensive for the distanced traveled- 550 GBP one way, from memory.
    Iceland is expensive. However, it was a bold and correct move for the Icelandic government to stiff foreign investors, throw banksters in jail, and side with the Icelandic people. If only we had such leaders. Iceland also has taken in dissidents for centuries. There was the strange burial of US chess champion Gary Fisher, Eric the Red went there to avoid punishment for murder, and the Prime Minister of Iceland kicked out the FBI agents that FBI director Robert Swan Mueller III sent to Iceland under false pretenses. There are historical accounts of Icelanders killing each other over poetry disputes, volcanoes and hot springs abound, it has a Pirate Party, and the place is otherwise magical. A pup tent and grocery stores might make Iceland more affordable.

So, a CEO named "Skull' is selling his airline "WOW" to another airline called "Wizz" ?

Welcome to the Marvel Universe.
    Last edited by Bigb23; March-28-19 at 09:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigb23 View Post
    So, a CEO named "Skull' is selling his airline "WOW" to another airline called "Wizz" ?

Welcome to the Marvel Universe.
    The article says his name was Skuli, not "Skull"

Well... they provided cheap flights for Game of Thrones watchers...but now that they have finished the series [[final season 8 out in 2 weeks)... the airline ended as well....

Cool......when is Bjork's next concert - I want tickets !!

This sucks; I know people who flew the airline with success and scored cheap flights to Europe. It was described to me as no-frills but decent [[unlike, say, Spirit).

Delta is fine - the only thing I'll fly domestic - but certainly not cheap and the rest of the American carriers? Yeah right, you're asking to get your ass beat. I don't know what's wrong with the culture but it strikes me as domestic autos circa late-1970s - crazed testosterone-fueled hubris and little to no focus on quality.

In talking with those who follow the airline industry, I have been told that Detroit [[DTW) is in prime position to land service from Iceland Air, Aer Lingus, or both.

Iceland Air has a very similar route plan to what WOW offered, and given the success WOW had at DTW, it is likely Iceland Air would have similar positive results if they chose to serve DTW.

Aer Lingus is a slightly more full service carrier, serving Dublin and Ireland. Like Iceland Air, the general concept is to route North Americans to Europe via a connection in Ireland/Iceland, while also serving those visiting Ireland or Iceland.

Again, if you talk with those in the travel industry, Detroit is basically the largest logical North American market [[within geographic reason) to not have their services currently. Whether the airport and county can market itself well enough to land these logical additions still remains to be seen... but with WOW’s unraveling, there is even more of a market here than ever to obtain these new services.

Iceland’s Wow Air has abruptly shut down and cancelled all its flights, leaving passengers stranded, after its rescue deal failed to materialize. Earlier this week, the budget airline announced it was in advanced restructuring discussions after being hit by falling tourist numbers, rising oil prices and low-cost airline competition

Just great ! So in the last week I could have gone to Florida for hail, 40mph winds and 60 degrees, got air-lifted from a sinking cruise ship, or got stranded somewhere in Europe by a fly-by-night airline. Sometimes home is the best place to be.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast