Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Idiotic State of Michigan At It Again [[Regulators to Kill Medical Marijuana Industry)

You know when the dispensaries first came to the D there was virtually no regulation and there were very numerous, nearly side by side on eight mile for example, near schools, varied business hours etc. You didn't see them side-by-side in the suburbs! Then 'some' regulation came and many closed, and it wasn't just the church community happy to see the proliferation end.

Like liquor that's sold with regulations/ licensing, marijuana sales/ availability will require such even if weed becomes fully legal for recreation etc. It was a gravy train that this went on this long -- the first round of regulations killed off the stores that couldn't comply or where location was an issue, etc. It seems a third of the 'pop-up' store front dispensaries on eight mile vanished.

It was a ruse that the dispensaries came to Detroit with so little initial regulation. Why was that done, in Detroit? Now the government is going extreme some argue. I'm not surprised.
    Last edited by Zacha341; August-22-17 at 06:42 AM.

The story was on NPR this morning. Basically 1 legislator wants to suspend all dispensary sales until licensing regulation is put in place. The rest of the legislature said no dice, until they get more facts, because people are become dependent on marijuana for pain relief. Basically this is a non-issue. I do think there need to be regulations put in place concerning the growth, distribution, and sales of marijuana, just like there are with food, alcohol, tobacco, and firearms.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; August-22-17 at 06:53 AM.

Yeah, and the regulations will not stop 'doors' being kicked in. As we're not going to have a subset of policing just for the dispensaries are we?! That's just rhetoric -- this is about money. Funny how the government gives [[freedom) only to take it away on their time table... Timeo Danaos et dona ferentes
    Last edited by Zacha341; August-25-17 at 07:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Yeah, and the regulations will not stop 'doors' being kicked in. As were not going to have a subset of policing just for the dispensaries?! That's just rhetoric, this is about money. Funny how the government gives [[freedom) only to take it away on their time table... Timeo Danaos et dona ferentes

Of COURSE it's about money, it's ALWAYS about money. On the other hand, I don't want someone lacing weak weed with belladonna and selling it on the open market, or selling weed with mouse and rat feces because vermin got into it. Or some "clinic" having a bad week, decides to let a few bags go to high school kids. Those types of people are also in it for "the money".

^^^ 'Clinic having a bad week'. Yep. Stranger things have happened!
    Last edited by Zacha341; August-24-17 at 09:06 AM.

Another burgeoning market to the public. Would have been huge for the middle class, but big business is already positioning itself to lock it down and hoard the profits all for itself. We wonder why the middle class in America is under such duress.

^^^ Marijuana dispensaries good for the Middle Class? As consumers or owners of the establishments?

Quote Originally Posted by TKshreve View Post
    Another burgeoning market to the public. Would have been huge for the middle class, but big business is already positioning itself to lock it down and hoard the profits all for itself. We wonder why the middle class in America is under such duress.
    I'm starting to see a growing pattern of people suspicious of business. I noticed a coupon yesterday for a company called "Honest Company." I've never heard of them before. It looks like some businesses are starting to capitalize on the lack of integrity of other businesses.

Another one is Harry's razors.

^^^ Marijuana dispensaries good for the Middle Class? As consumers or owners of the establishments?
    How about if the people who use it paid a Tax on the weed?

That would help the middle class.

Certainly better than continuing to pay taxes to fight and incarcerate people for something that is more common and easy to find than a box of cigars.

At this point it is just stupidity to keep paying through the nose because we can't admit prohibition was and is a giant failure. So much so in fact that the people who use it have no fear of the law and now are beginning to believe that it is their God given right to never pay a tax on the stuff because they NEVER have.
    Last edited by ABetterDetroit; August-22-17 at 07:26 PM.

^^^ Taxing is coming. Too much money exchanging for it not to. And, I think that some people can admit that prohibition was a failure, yet not want a dispensary on every corner if weed is to be fully legal.

Similar to alcohol, I don't want to smell it on people randomly at work where work should be the focus. Weed as recreationally used and expressed IMO still has too many folks zooted up, smoking coming out of their cars, smoke reeking at concerts, social events, etc. Made all the more in-your-face considering all hoopla/ and health concerns re. second-hand cigarette smoke!

What about those who don't want second-hand weed smoke? And I DO GET that not everyone smokes; some do edibles and use discretion, thoughtful to others. Not forcing you to be involved -- using some decorum just as you want to see out of tabacco users and those who enjoy adult beverages.

And despite the broad claims saying marijuana does not affect judgment? Well I don't want to step on to an airplane with a pilot who just smoked, or drank booze for the matter.
    Last edited by Zacha341; August-25-17 at 07:48 AM.

I'm all about more regulations of the industry. But to shut everything down first to impose them is such a backward ass way to go about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    I noticed a coupon yesterday for a company called "Honest Company."
    A company calling themselves "Honest Company" is probably the last company I'd trust.

Harry's is OK - good prices but their razors are mediocre. I use a double-edged safety razor now, and even the fancy Japanese and German razors are a fraction of the cost of Harry's, and last longer, too.

Let me get this straight. Our state's voters approved legalization for medical use almost 10 years ago, and our Legislators still can't get their shit together? And because of this all of the dispensaries should be shuttered while the people against them drag their asses until they can find another way to stall and kick the can down the road?

If we we're gonna have an honest conversation about weed, ie: collateral damage and how people perceive weed users, then let's be honest about what we're talking about here. These dispensaries are providing a good to the public for medical use, not places that are selling recreational pot, regardless of how it's used once it leaves the premises. That's not legal in MI yet. Also, marijuana cannot be taxed directly without a change to the state law. Everyone involved is already paying a "tax" in the form of licenses and registration fees. When it becomes recreationally legal, and it will, I can promise that it will be taxed up the wazoo and people will still resort to buying it off of the street, or loosie style like cigarettes.
    Last edited by detroitsgwenivere; August-23-17 at 07:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post
    A company calling themselves "Honest Company" is probably the last company I'd trust.

Harry's is OK - good prices but their razors are mediocre. I use a double-edged safety razor now, and even the fancy Japanese and German razors are a fraction of the cost of Harry's, and last longer, too.
    I think Harry's razors are very good, not quite as good as Fusion but they are half the price.

Quote Originally Posted by detroitsgwenivere View Post
    Let me get this straight. Our state's voters approved legalization for medical use almost 10 years ago, and our Legislators still can't get their shit together? And because of this all of the dispensaries should be shuttered while the people against them drag their asses until they can find another way to stall and kick the can down the road?

If we we're gonna have an honest conversation about weed, ie: collateral damage and how people perceive weed users, then let's be honest about what we're talking about here. These dispensaries are providing a good to the public for medical use, not places that are selling recreational pot, regardless of how it's used once it leaves the premises. That's not legal in MI yet. Also, marijuana cannot be taxed directly without a change to the state law. Everyone involved is already paying a "tax" in the form of licenses and registration fees. When it becomes recreationally legal, and it will, I can promise that it will be taxed up the wazoo and people will still resort to buying it off of the street, or loosie style like cigarettes.
    Have to wonder what MI would do if such an unexpected windfall of tax revenues [[and/or non-forecasted overages) ever came to be, should recreational use find it's way into law. Would MI dedicate it, in advance, to social programs like schools and addiction treatment? Or would it "wait" to see the numbers, and allocate after-the-fact? Proactive vs. reactive. Not sure how that plays out at the state level. I just can't help but but envision piranha feasting on a carcass in regards to an unforeseen, and un-allocated bundle of tax dollars with no directed purposes written into law.

"Honest Company".... lol. Yeah, take my money.

I wonder how much weed is tampered with on the black market?

It cannot be a non-issue. During Prohibition there were some dying from drinking all kinds of poisonous concoctions put forth as alcohol. Tobacco and alcohol as sold now have gone thru a great deal of regulation relative to that. It will be interesting.
    Last edited by Zacha341; August-24-17 at 09:11 AM.

I wonder how much weed is tampered with on the black market?

It cannot be a non-issue. During Prohibition there were some dying from drinking all kinds of poisonous concoctions put forth as alcohol. Tobacco and alcohol as sold now have gone thru a great deal of regulation relative to that. It will be interesting.
    So because there was some lacing of alcohol or poor quality control of bootlegged liquor 90 years ago, the same must be true of marijuana today...even though it's a century later and alcohol and marijuana aren't in any way even remotely similar substances? That's some sound logic there. Who needs evidence when I have my gut feeling to tell me that laced marijuana must surely be a problem!

^^^ You know I did not say that. I stated "it cannot be a non-issue". That is to say it's going on. Not an absolute, nor during prohibition. Most of the stills provided a sound product. But there was some killer booze out there!

Could you put forth an absolute that every half-ounce of weed consumed here in Detroit IS pure. NOT adulterated or synthesized?

Of course not. It HAS happened. I would not demand such proof. No more than I said it ALL marijuana is tampered with. The more important discussion is how do we minimize the risk?

I could post articles and news links that came out of NY for example a few years back, or talk about a friend who got a bold batch, but nope -- not going down that road.

Greed is the constant "similar" issue given the right set of circumstances and not absolutely absent this industry! Graft has historically been a factor in manufacturing and sale of many products.

Therefore, the lacing of some sold weed [[especially that sold on the black market) isn't out of question, beyond ones gut. Further, the health consequence[[s) would be a real 'problem' to the person it happens to.
    Last edited by Zacha341; August-26-17 at 11:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by detroitsgwenivere View Post
    What have the legislators in Lansing got their shit together about in this state in the last few decades?

Hard to think of much.

Here lays a pile of Michigan money on the table, and their doing what they always do.

Calling in states like Colorado to scoop it all up as fast as they can so they can have the nice roads and better schools, lower other taxes, more jobs, growth etc... Decade after decade, Forever...Until some LCC in Florida takes the last dime out of Michigan and there are none left to send away.
    Last edited by ABetterDetroit; August-24-17 at 05:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by aj3647 View Post
    So because there was some lacing of alcohol or poor quality control of bootlegged liquor 90 years ago, the same must be true of marijuana today...even though it's a century later and alcohol and marijuana aren't in any way even remotely similar substances? That's some sound logic there. Who needs evidence when I have my gut feeling to tell me that laced marijuana must surely be a problem!
    You sound like you might have gotten hold of some laced with PCP. It usually makes people very reactionary. Or maybe Krack or even Angel Dust. Don't forget Krystal Meth, cheap additive. But why do I bother with such a knowledgeable drug expert?

I just enjoyed a piece of 'Moonrock'....Snoop's blue dream rolled in hash oil derived from the same. Sing with bong-man...."Rocky mountain high, in Colorado !"

UPDATE:

Future of Michigan medical marijuana dispensaries in the hands of licensing board

From article:

The [licensing] move could leave hundreds of medical marijuana dispensaries across the state shuttered and thousands of patients with no place to get the pot they use to help with a variety of ailments.

The Reef, a medical marijuana dispensary in Detroit, plans to close Monday, at least for the time being, as a pre-emptive strike.

Other dispensaries around the state are waiting and watching. Genevieve, the manager of the Third Coast caregiver center in Ypsilanti who declined to give her last name, said the impact could be harmful for the patients who use her shop.

"We're in good standing," she said about the permit the shop got from the city in 2009.

http://www.freep.com/story/news/poli...ard/644048001/

If I had my way, every one of the damn places would be bulldozed tomorrow. What a fuckin' joke!

What's this I hear about a requirement of $150,000 in liquid assets before the state will consider a license to grow?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast