Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default LinkedIn opening office in Detroit

".....for the first time in ten years, LinkedIn is opening a new U.S. office in Detroit, Michigan.

Why Detroit? After evaluating more than 10 U.S. cities, we chose Detroit because we believe the Motor City presents a unique opportunity for LinkedIn to hire top talent and be a part of an exciting economic turnaround story. This new office gives us a chance to marry LinkedIn’s uniquely powerful culture with Detroit’s dynamic talent to create economic opportunity for our employees, the city and our company."

https://blog.linkedin.com/2017/augus...din-to-detroit

I'm guessing by the amounts of responses that this is no big whoop . Anyway, proud that such an intrusive company has chosen Detroit over the other 10. Good news regardless.

LinkedIn is useless and annoying. However, if they are going to pay people and taxes while being useless and annoying, I'm all for it being in Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyinBrooklyn View Post
    LinkedIn is useless and annoying....
    Why, in your opinion? I don't disagree.

Annoying is easier to answer: I signed up once in the early days, but never actually needed it to make any connections in business. Haven't stopped getting notifications for 10 years. Doesn't bother me quite enough to login and disable the notifications. But, really, shouldn't a decade of inactivity get you off the mailing list?

Useless? Well, I've never needed it. And when I have done hiring, I have never used it, or been referred to it. Granted, I am not a really big social media guy anyway, but regardless. I don't get why anyone uses it; I don't personally know anyone who uses it [[or at least says they do).

Annoying is easier to answer...
    That was a quick response.

My experience with LinkedIn was that they're very focused on collecting only the most top-notched talent as quickly as possible with a minimum of human contact.

Their problem is that they methodically factor out face-to-face interactions with candidates.

The most top-notched talent can't be selected without face-to-face interaction. Top-notched talent is just too eccentric to be that easily boxed in.

Or maybe someone can explain why that's wrong. I'd be happy with that.
    Last edited by Jimaz; August-22-17 at 10:47 PM.

LinkedIn is useless and annoying. However, if they are going to pay people and taxes while being useless and annoying, I'm all for it being in Detroit.
    It took me a little while to understand why LinkedIn is important to employers. For the last 7 years I have been in the Army, with no need for a professional network outside of the green uniform.

Now I am the middle of a job search while transitioning out, every company big or small wants to see my linked in profile. Based on a recent Department of Labor workshop I participated in, here is why employers prefer linked in so much:

They can see people who vouch for your work history and skill set. This is important when employers see a hundred applications for a job and only have 7-10 seconds to review each resume. It adds validity to your personal narrative. Anyone can say who they are on paper or put down references, but that takes valuable time to research. The more complete your Linked-In profile and size of network, the more your story is complete.

Thank you, DetroitSoldier for both your service and your input. My field, running restaurants, is probably not a field where the resume or network are going to be used very much to determine whether or not someone will get hired. I guess if I were going to get 5000 applicants for a desk job, I can see the usefulness of it.

Does anyone know what exactly this office is/does and how many people it is? Or how many other similar offices there are?

Yes, happy for Detroit.

I have to concur about the annoying part of it. I joined in the very beginning because I attended a business prepping class for Art professionals years ago where a couple of lecturers got us in on it. I have to say the worst thing over the years was getting "fake" invitations from people who weren't remotely interested in what or who I was and had never sent me these invites. They had been generated by the company. That sort of sounded the death knell of my interest in Linked'In.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    Yes, happy for Detroit.

I have to concur about the annoying part of it. I joined in the very beginning because I attended a business prepping class for Art professionals years ago where a couple of lecturers got us in on it. I have to say the worst thing over the years was getting "fake" invitations from people who weren't remotely interested in what or who I was and had never sent me these invites. They had been generated by the company. That sort of sounded the death knell of my interest in Linked'In.
    I'm sure I could have avoided it but LinkedIn went into my address book and blasted out an email bomb to everyone I ever emailed, even those I wanted to avoid.

I use Linkedin over FB and it seems expected to have some form of social media access. So I choose LI. As it remains less 'drama' driven'.

LI started out business oriented with less options of deep personal stuff, status, 'who loves who', and what not. Initially, I noted that it broadcast my birthday, my updates [[as I added them), and job anniversaries to my connections. I fixed that by turning all that off in my settings. Now no one gets updates. And I refuse to give any contact list.

I simply use LI like a digital resume, business reference page by way of telling people of my profile there as I choose -- but I don't want a broadcast of my every move, or update. So far, so good. I ignore people who want to connect to me that I don't know or not related to my industry and related interests.
    Last edited by Zacha341; August-24-17 at 08:19 AM.

Initially, I noted that it broadcast my birthday, and updates I did and job anniversaries to my connections. I fixed that by turning all that off in my setting. Now no one gets any updates. And I refuse to give any contact list.
    That is what I found out trying to download my first apps. Why do they need access to my contacts, location, call logs, and files just to play chess?

Social media goes beyond the pale when it comes to vacuuming up personal data to sell to others. Who sell to others, who sell to others, etc.

Old school or no school for me.
    Last edited by Bigb23; August-24-17 at 06:43 AM.

I guess I am a bit of a dinosaur as I don't see the need for all this social media when it comes to the work place. Outside of any professional organizations that one joins, why does one need to put a personal profile online to benefit their employer? I laugh when I receive invites from colleagues in the field who are near retirement. It seems like an attempt to prove oneself relevant in this connected world.
    Last edited by GMan; August-24-17 at 08:12 AM.

Now a days, most universities are pushing students to have a LI profile. Both my kids, one a recent graduate and one to graduate next spring, were encouraged by their professors to have one. Guess it's the wave of the future, but I hate it. I noticed my daughter was getting odd request from men who were either retired, not in her field, or from foreign countries. She knows better to ignore those and deletes them. But again, I hate it. There's other ways to connect with friends/colleagues.
    Last edited by Maof; August-24-17 at 07:39 AM.

^^^ In my field you must have some form of social media. Yet still be selective in that choice. IMO, LI remains less blog style and drama oriented -- ala the friend and unfriend drama etc. Initially the younger crowd found LI a bit on the dry, dull side. That drew me to using it.

It seemed the younger crowd did FaceBook, but I hear some of them now it's dead. I'll never know as I refuse to do FB. Whatever. Trends come and go with reflexive action to track all of that -- important to some. I bother little to respond outside of trends in my industry.

Contact and content choice remains ones choice, unless you simply MUST ENGAGE and DIVULGE everything you see others do! You can for example avoid using your personal photo, buy simply choosing 'icon' avatar.

Some profiles receive alot of unwanted attention on social media based on their personal image. I use social media to convey what I do in my field first. Not my photo. Remember when Myspace hot?
    Last edited by Zacha341; August-24-17 at 08:42 AM.

I used to agree with the pointless sentiment, until I recently accepted a new position with a substantial raise and much better professional opportunity. I attribute the initial contact to linkedin. Being pursued nationally by reputable companies as a 'millennial' was certainly flattering, and linkedin does provide lots more exposure.

It allows employers to shop your resume and experience before they bring you in for in-person interviews. Interestingly enough the person interviewing me commented on how they were glad I wasn't 'catfishing' them, as one can embellish professional attributes quite easily or look much older [[in my case).

Regardless, I had multiple job offers to consider and left the area likely for the last time. PS - I do not work nor am I affiliated with linkedin.
    Last edited by hybridy; August-24-17 at 09:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SammyS View Post
    I'm sure I could have avoided it but LinkedIn went into my address book and blasted out an email bomb to everyone I ever emailed, even those I wanted to avoid.

There you go.

Quote Originally Posted by hybridy View Post
    I used to agree with the pointless sentiment, until I recently accepted a new position with a substantial raise and much better professional opportunity. I attribute the initial contact to linkedin. Being pursued nationally by reputable companies as a 'millennial' was certainly flattering, and linkedin does provide lots more exposure.

It allows employers to shop your resume and experience before they bring you in for in-person interviews. Interestingly enough the person interviewing me commented on how they were glad I wasn't 'catfishing' them, as one can embellish professional attributes quite easily or look much older [[in my case).

Regardless, I had multiple job offers to consider and left the area likely for the last time. PS - I do not work nor am I affiliated with linkedin.
    So L.I. was like a cover letter to a potential employer then?
    Were you recruited or actively looking for a job?
    Also would being part of a professional organization have given you the same exposure?
    Are you expected to maintain membership in L.I. or other social media for your employer?

BTW I am not affiliated with FB or other organization.

Just Curious. Congrats on the new position.

Quote Originally Posted by GMan View Post
    So L.I. was like a cover letter to a potential employer then?
    Were you recruited or actively looking for a job?
    Also would being part of a professional organization have given you the same exposure?
    Are you expected to maintain membership in L.I. or other social media for your employer?

BTW I am not affiliated with FB or other organization.

Just Curious. Congrats on the new position.
    I was not actively looking for a position. I just happen to be in a supply/demand situation currently and wasn't terribly happy in my old position. I do not pay for any subscription or membership. I do feel the level of detail in my profile led to both HR and professional recruiters to reach out to me.

As a younger person who doesn't have a robust professional contact list, linkedin allows me to follow/maintain contact to individuals I wouldn't normally be in touch with, but who I see at various industry events or project chases.

In my industry its very much who you know, not always what you know.

Since SOME people publicly talk-out their personal business, info and politics online employers leverage this to see who/ what you are. Some fields almost demand you have some public social media evidence to be taken seriously.

I resent it in a way, but since it's the modern requirement to be active in the game I try to negotiate a more business presence using LI. Their set up has LESS areas of 'content demand' for things I choose not to share on the web.

When you're older and working, you sorta still have to showcase what you do... should you need to work elsewhere. But limit how much you put out there career wise. Something needs to be saved for the interview!

Quote Originally Posted by GMan View Post
    I guess I am a bit of a dinosaur as I don't see the need for all this social media when it comes to the work place. Outside of any professional organizations that one joins, why does one need to put a personal profile online to benefit their employer? I laugh when I receive invites from colleagues in the field who are near retirement. It seems like an attempt to prove oneself relevant in this connected world.
    Last edited by Zacha341; August-25-17 at 08:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    Does anyone know what exactly this office is/does and how many people it is? Or how many other similar offices there are?
    I looked at the job postings. There are 5 listed and they're all sales/customer rep jobs. In other words, just like the Twitter and Google offices in the area, this is a small office to sell ads to the car companies.

Wake me up when REAL tech jobs move to Detroit

They [[LI) does have a pay option profile. I don't bother with it. And yes, my industry to is alot about who you know.

Quote Originally Posted by hybridy View Post
    In my industry its very much who you know, not always what you know.
    Last edited by Zacha341; August-25-17 at 08:58 PM.

I thought the Google had an office in downtown Detroit where Lane Bryant or Winklemans once were. What happened to that?

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Since SOME people publicly talk-out their personal business, info and politics online employers leverage this to see who/ what you are. Some fields almost demand you have some public social media evidence to be taken seriously.

I resent it in a way, but since it's the modern requirement to be active in the game I try to negotiate a more business presence using LI. Their set up has LESS areas of 'content demand' for things I choose not to share the web.

When you're older and working, you sorta still have to showcase what you do... should you need to work elsewhere. But limit how much you put out there career wise. Something needs to be saved for the interview!
    Zacha341, couldn't agree more. Another resentment I have toward this whole [[inevitable) process of blending one's personal social life with business qualifications/aptitude is that it quickly & easily provides potential employers with a free pass to roll back 50 years of hard-fought Civil Rights & Employment Discrimination legislation.

Any recruiter or career coach will tell you it's mandatory to have a current LinkedIn account which includes a "current, flattering, professional photo" and as many contacts [[and as much information about them) as possible.

As a result, in a matter of seconds, a potential employer can now determine your race, age, weight, or gender as an immediate knockout. This is in addition to more subtle things like what your friends & contacts say about you:

"Gee, this guy's applying to be an engineer---but he's got an awful lot of contacts in the arts & fashion .. . .probably gay!"

"His/Her contacts appear to have a common thread of either liberal or conservative causes . . we don't want those kind working with us"

25 years ago, these were personal things that couldn't be gleaned from a resume---and had nothing to do with a candidate's qualifications or the interview process. Now employers can easily miss out on the contributions someone from an unexpected background or perspective could bring to their organization. This does nothing but exacerbate our creation of insulated societal "echo chambers" and division.

I play the game, but only because I know the genie can never go back in the bottle and I have to. That doesn't make me resent the whole unseemly process any less.
    Last edited by Onthe405; August-28-17 at 10:34 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast