Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default The August 21, 2017 Eclipse over Detroit

This could be the worst possible nightmare for some people.

They do their medical 'due diligence' and buy what they think are approved glasses for Monday's eclipse and turns out that they are fake and offer no protection.

I believe there are certain things folks can do like check the list of approved manufacturers, look for the ISO approval on the glasses, etc.

Quite frankly, I'd be more afraid of some people losing their sight tomorrow than an ISIS-inspired say vehicle attack in the U.S.

ttps://www.washingtonpost.com/business/economy/scientists-warn-fake-eclipse-glasses-can-literally-cook-your-retina/2017/08/18/7172989a-8381-11e7-b359-15a3617c767b_story.html?utm_term=.df879540c3a0

I recall the last big eclipse -- don't remember this MANIA to look directly at the sun! Crazy, the crush to determinedly damage ones retina. The irony is that eclipse will be captured by special equipment and broadcast during and after. Why risk it? To be the first to 'post' that you did? Years back during partial eclipse times as a kid and you did the 'pin hole' box -- that seemed enough.

The scammers are feasting, giving no care to the dupes pressed for the knock-off glasses, risking vision permanently. For me the darkening of the sky will be enough. I may try to find select trees to view tree silhouette eclipse projections as we have many trees in my area. That's the only 'looking' I'll be doing. Aside from looking at safely collected images online etc.
    Last edited by Zacha341; August-20-17 at 11:29 AM.

I can't seem to open the link without subscribing but the ISO appoved number is 12312-2. I was at Lowe's about a week ago and they had a few at the checkout. PO'd i didn't grab a few.
    Last edited by Maof; August-20-17 at 10:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Maof View Post
    I can't seem to open the link without subscribing but the ISO appoved number is 12312-2. I was at Lowe's about a week ago and they had a few at the checkout. PO'd i didn't grab a few.
    Indeed there is a list of approved manufacturers and the ISO number so one can shop carefully IF there are any left.

That gives one the highest degree of confidence they are getting the real thing.

I've heard about a few folks who weld planning on using welding masks. I'd not chance that either. I think the sun is brighter than what would be generated from pic/ arch welding!

Here’s what happens to your retina if you view an eclipse without protection

Ahead of the rare solar event, eye doctors describe the dangers of risky viewing.
    Last edited by Zacha341; August-20-17 at 08:13 AM.

Even if you choose to use welding glasses you have to use density 12 or above. 12 is the very least you can use.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    I've heard about a few folks who weld planning on using welding masks. I'd not chance that either. I think the sun is brighter than what would be generated from pic/ arch welding!

Thanks for raising the warning, emu steve. It's not worth risking vision for life just for one event.

I've heard some reputable sources say you can look safely during totality [[which won't even happen in Michigan) but I wouldn't even risk that. What's to be gained, really?

The pinhole camera or even one improvised out of two sheets of paper is safest.

Problem is that the fakes may have the number on them. Someone selling fakes won't be deterred by a simple number omission.

I'm nearly directly under the 100% path, but there's a very, very high chance I'll remain inside. It's going to be 90+ with high dewpoints and I don't do that kind of heat well at all. I have a network camera mounted on a pole outside and I may just set it to watch the ground and trees and record the shadow passage.

An article I read recently noted that cameras, even higher end ones can suffer damage to the chip/sensor, so I wonder how many people will be buying new cameras Tuesday?

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    Thanks for raising the warning, emu steve. It's not worth risking vision for life just for one event.

I've heard some reputable sources say you can look safely during totality [[which won't even happen in Michigan) but I wouldn't even risk that. What's to be gained, really?

The pinhole camera or even one improvised out of two sheets of paper is safest.
    I'm not a shill for the media, but i expect CNN, etc. to have very good live coverage as the eclipse moves across the U.S. to the east coast.

Watch live. Record. Etc. PBS is supposed to have a special Monday night.

One can live watch 100% eclipse on CNN or maybe 80% in Detroit.

BTW, folks should pay attention to cloud coverage. Where I live we'll see 82% but could have partly sunny or [[maybe) partly cloudy skies which could really degrade the event.

The fears may be a bit overblown. Amazon canceled our order for the glasses saying they may be fake, but we were buying from a long running astronomical supply store that sources from manufacturers with a track record of quality gear. Kinda puts me off of Amazon because they froze their account with no real evidence of fraud.

Enough to make Apple [[Iphone) happy I am sure......

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    An article I read recently noted that cameras, even higher end ones can suffer damage to the chip/sensor, so I wonder how many people will be buying new cameras Tuesday?

Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post
    The fears may be a bit overblown. Amazon canceled our order for the glasses saying they may be fake, but we were buying from a long running astronomical supply store that sources from manufacturers with a track record of quality gear. Kinda puts me off of Amazon because they froze their account with no real evidence of fraud.
    I understand your point, but if 20M pairs of glasses are sold and but 99.44% are authentic, we still have a big potential problem.

It could be like the person out for a Sunday afternoon drive, there is still a .0001 chance of something bad happening...

Problem is that the fakes may have the number on them.......
    Exactly! And, according to news reports, there is no certain way to ascertain the genuine ones carrying the ISO numbers and the counterfeits that have been stamped with the same numbers.
    I am sure not taking a chance. After all, if a big medical complex that specializes in eyes and eyesight like the Univ. of Utah John Moran Eye Center could be fooled, well, um, who could ever feel 100% confident using their eclipse glasses?????

http://www.sltrib.com/news/education...yre-defective/

Just another example of the bad guys get to ruin it all for the rest of us.

Quote Originally Posted by easternshorebird View Post
    Exactly! And, according to news reports, there is no certain way to ascertain the genuine ones carrying the ISO numbers and the counterfeits that have been stamped with the same numbers.
    I am sure not taking a chance. After all, if a big medical complex that specializes in eyes and eyesight like the Univ. of Utah John Moran Eye Center could be fooled, well, um, who could ever feel 100% confident using their eclipse glasses?????

http://www.sltrib.com/news/education...yre-defective/

Just another example of the bad guys get to ruin it all for the rest of us.
    Yep. The issue of 'supply chain' may come into play here. Do we really know who produced them before they went to the middle man and then Amazon and Univ. of Utah.

I don't mean to castigate Amazon, but if I don't know where the retailer [[or whomever) got them, I ain't using them.

Stamping ISO numbers on them isn't exactly rocket science.

My hunch is that fakes are more likely to be those sold or distributed more recently while those bought long ag aren't likely to be fake.

BTW, for those who miss this one, save a few bucks for glasses and some gas and drive down to Toledo, April 8, 2024.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_..._April_8,_2024

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.edb3a0e46e72

Real story of teenagers more than 50 years ago watched a partial eclipse for 20 seconds and suffered partial blindness.

I'm going in my basement in a few hours. Lol.

Even if you choose to use welding glasses you have to use density 12 or above. 12 is the very least you can use.
    Every one on the news is saying 14 or higher. As a career long welder who has suffered arc flash in the eyes before, [[bad weld curtain), I'd go higher. +++++

Today I'll be outside taking an occasional glance with an old smartphone.
    Last edited by Bigb23; August-21-17 at 09:24 AM.

CNET said no damage will happen to smartphones for the eclipse. They are my go to authority for anything electronic. That said, risk you're $700 smartphone as you see fit.
    I will be using my old ​smartphone, little to lose.
    Last edited by Bigb23; August-21-17 at 09:46 AM.

There is also this from Columbia University
    “Many people will think it’s safe to take a selfie with the eclipse in the background because they aren’t looking directly at the sun,” says Tongalp Tezel, MD, a retina expert at Columbia University Medical Center. “What they may not realize is that the screen of your phone reflects the ultraviolet rays emitted during an eclipse directly toward your eye, which can result in a solar burn.”
    According to Dr. Tezel, Sir Isaac Newton suffered retinal damage after looking at the reflection of an eclipse in the surface of a pond—the archaic equivalent of the cell phone screen. Viewing the eclipse through a telescope can also damage the retina, as Galileo himself learned, because the device magnifies the sun’s harmful ultraviolet rays.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigb23 View Post
    CNET said ...

They are my go to authority for anything electronic.
    You might want to find another.

Definitely stay away from their spamware, err, download site.

I'd like to set my old Iphone in the sun [[any day) to watch it die, but I must use it so I best not do that!

Quote Originally Posted by Bigb23 View Post
    CNET said no damage will happen to smartphones for the eclipse.

The eclipse begins as projected on my deck through pinholes of tree leaves.

Name:  eclipse-1400.jpg
Views: 572
Size:  119.1 KB

Yes! Not working today and catching the excitement [[not enough to stare directly at the sun mind you) and have my metal colander and it's showing them, though tiny thru the holes! Will post photos soon.

Outside looks weird from inside -- looking out the door. I can see why in ages past people thought this phenom signaled the end of the world. Bright blue skies yet hazy! WEIRD! [[2:16 PM)
    Last edited by Zacha341; August-21-17 at 01:18 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast