Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Huron Forge - Gone

The more I look at the city, the more I wonder about just how bad it's gotten. Many, many years ago I used to work at a place called Huron Forge at Alpine and Westfield. They made drop forged steel parts including chain links for conveyor chains for assembly lines and hose clamps for aviation fuel hoses among other things. It was a large plant that ran along the west side of Alpine. There was another forging plant across the street, but I don't remember their name. Looks like it may be gone too. Towards the lower left of the picture, you can see two round objects. Those are oil storage tanks at what used to be called Usher Oil, site of a massive five alarm fire in the late 70's.

lilpup Guest

FWIW, it still is Usher Oil.

Meddle,
    I work for a law firm here in the Detroit area, and I was wondering if you could possibly give me some information about the Huron Forge. One of our client's fathers worked there from the 50's to the 70's and I have been unable to find out much about the plant. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

'Twas a long time ago. Both the thread and my years there. Can't remember much, but ....

[[uhhh, where'd the referenced picture go? )