Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Which is the better newspaper on line?

The News or The Free Press? I'm talking about the on-line paper here.

I'm a little irritated with the Freep. Every story has the "Top Stories Of The Day" video on top, and the paper seems to be more USA Today then a local rag. Your opinion?
    Last edited by douglasm; August-16-17 at 08:49 PM.

I'm yet to make a major decision here. I read the Freep more than I do the News.

I do read other papers like Crain's Detroit Business, Metrotimes, but rarely do I read the Michigan Chronicle.

I would probably say that the Freep is the best because my favorite editorials are there, like Rochelle Riley.

But I love Mike Thompson and his cartoons. They are funny. Funnier than Dilbert.

I've been a decades-long subscriber to Crain's Detroit Business which, along with this forum, has given me the best in-depth understanding of what is happening in Detroit. I get the hard copy delivered but read 2/3 of it online from daily email updates.

Using Crain's as my primary source is kind of a 'follow the money' approach because, like it or not [and I don't], money and business have the longest-running and deepest impact on our lives. I am reminded of a movie scene of a producer yelling at some whiny actors, "It's called show business for a reason! No business, no show."

This approach spares me the 'if it bleeds, it leads' news. That has its role but long term it is insignificant unless put in context of causes, most of which lead back to decisions of money and business.

Crain's also provides the handy 10 Things to do in the D this Weekend kick off list material.

Crains is great.

Between the News and Freep, I choose the News, since I hate Rochelle Riley.

As a journalist not living in the area, I'll chime in with a few cents.

I believe the Free Press has better in depth investigative coverage. I prefer neither opinion sections because they are just that, opinions. When it comes to factual reporting, both are fair, at least from what I've read.

I'd say it's best to read both papers because you'll get stories from different points of view.

I am so incredibly sick of the Free Press website. Auto-play video with audio is annoying as hell, and it doesn't follow any of the normal conventions [[spacebar, escape key) to pause or mute it.

Every time I click a free press link in social media, I immediately regret it, and rarely finish reading the article because of how annoying their website is.

I read both as they can [[sometimes) compliment each other. Sometimes one paper will have more information than the other on a particular topic or story.

Certain journalists are HOF [[hall of fame). Lynn Henning is one. His knowledge of the Tigers and their farm system, etc. is second to none.

Good News Source:
    This is what happened. This is probably why it happened, according to these people whom are involved we interviewed. This is what may happen in the future because of it, according to these relevant experts in the field.

Typical News Source:
    This is what happened. This other stuff happened too because it its tangentially related and I was already writing an article about it anyway, so I can get my column inches in and get home before rush hour. Here are some random people's thoughts about it. Follow me on twitter.

Bad News Source:
    This person was in the middle of doing something when this happened to them. This other thing also happened. Here's some stuff I found on the internet. This is what I think about it. This is what you should think about it.

Awful News Source:
    I was in the middle of doing something when I heard this happened and it affected me and I talked to some people and they agree with me and you should agree with me too and feel the same way about it.