Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7

Quote Originally Posted by oladub View Post
    Trump had a 1-Y deferment. That meant that he could volunteer to join if he signed waivers but could not be drafted under Selective Service rules. Dictionary.com defines draft dodger as "draft dodger. Someone who illegally evades the draft, as opposed to a conscientious objector, who is granted official, legal exemption from military duty." That said, Trump did not volunteer. Neither did Obama or Bill Clinton.

I take it that you support the draft and the Vietnam War. The most recent conscription was brought to us by FDR and the Vietnam war was brought to us by Lyndon Johnson. Both were Democrats. Democrats are presently most likely to extend Carter's draft registration to include women. Those are, to me, three reasons to be wary of Democrats. If follows that Sen. John McCain, who has supported every war since coming to office, has become the Democrats' favorite Republican.
    I never thought of myself as a draft dodger. I had a student deferment [[note the word) until I graduated from Wayne St. in early 1970. Within two months I received my notice to report to Fort Wayne for a draft physical, which I did. At the end of the physical, one of the docs read off 10-12 names and told us to report to another room. We did and a doc there stated that we were being classified 1-Y, with no explanation as to why and I don't recall that anyone asked. We were informed that we would be recalled for another physical in 6-9 months. Sometime in 1971, the Selective Service reclassified all 1-Y to 4-F [[unfit for military service). To this day, I don't know why I received that classification.

They We
    Quote Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
    .........Sometime in 1971, the Selective Service reclassified all [[unfit for military service). To this day, I don't know why I received that classification.
    Maybe you were all judged to be potential future Presidential material and they couldn’t afford to lose this critically important possibility.

At least they got it right in President Trump’s case; much to our benefit.

[[Wasn’t infallible because they got stuck with obama, who wasn’ t fit or Presidential material so they had to make him into a community agitator).

The 13th Amendment forbids both slavery and involuntary servitude. Serving involuntarily = involuntary servitude. Would you want to bring back slavery too if we called it something else? If you wouldn't have minded being drafted, then it is voluntary servitude and legal. Congratulation for be willing to hypothetically serve in Vietnam.
    Did you just compare military conscription to slavery? I mean, talk about leaps and bounds, but this one takes the cake.

I won't even dignify with discourse the follow-up comment regarding liberal's hypothetical pleasure in "pissing on veteran's graves" because it only rewards the constant spin and conjecture offered by your crew here at Dyes. Talk about a pathetic notion however.

Trump has been proven a pathological liar, time and again. The fact you can't see the correlation between his constant lies, and the idea that he'd misrepresent the truth in order to avoid serving his country [[not proudly either) is a testament to your inability to think freely and rationalize with others. Sorry you're like that.

Now spin away - I'm sure this message is somehow related to women's suffrage or the gold standard. I can't wait to see what yarn you pick next. lol

Things seem to be going okay with N Korea at the moment,Kinda disappointing though,I was ready to start swapping nukes like everybody predicted,so much for the jerk starting WW3 I was hoping that there could be at least one case where the alt left libs were actually right on something.

I guess if we try hard enough we can find some lonely country out there that wants to swap nukes and liven things up a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by TKshreve View Post
    Did you just compare military conscription to slavery? I mean, talk about leaps and bounds, but this one takes the cake.

I won't even dignify with discourse the follow-up comment regarding liberal's hypothetical pleasure in "pissing on veteran's graves" because it only rewards the constant spin and conjecture offered by your crew here at Dyes. Talk about a pathetic notion however.

Trump has been proven a pathological liar, time and again. The fact you can't see the correlation between his constant lies, and the idea that he'd misrepresent the truth in order to avoid serving his country [[not proudly either) is a testament to your inability to think freely and rationalize with others. Sorry you're like that.

Now spin away - I'm sure this message is somehow related to women's suffrage or the gold standard. I can't wait to see what yarn you pick next. lol
    No, I referred to the 13th. Amendment which outlawed both involuntary servitude and slavery. Involuntary servitude = serving involuntarily. You didn't seem to understand the difference between "draft dodging" and refusing to volunteer and seemed ok with involuntary service. Were I to compare involuntary servitude with slavery since you brought that up; slavery involves ownership of another human, involuntary servitude does not and is often temporary although conscriptees can be compelled to do life threatening things slave owners probably wouldn't subject their slaves to for fear of monetary loss. There is also often confusion about equating involuntary servitude with indentured servitude. They are different. Military enlistment contracts are indentured servitude contracts and can be voluntary or involunrary.

13th. Amendment
    Section 1. Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction.Section 2. Congress shall have power to enforce this article by appropriate legislation.

No, I referred to the 13th. Amendment which outlawed both involuntary servitude and slavery. Involuntary servitude = serving involuntarily. You didn't seem to understand the difference between "draft dodging" and refusing to volunteer and seemed ok with involuntary service. Were I to compare involuntary servitude with slavery since you brought that up; slavery involves ownership of another human, involuntary servitude does not and is often temporary although conscriptees can be compelled to do life threatening things slave owners probably wouldn't subject their slaves to for fear of monetary loss. There is also often confusion about equating involuntary servitude with indentured servitude. They are different. Military enlistment contracts are indentured servitude contracts and can be voluntary or involunrary.

13th. Amendment
    Section 1. Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction.Section 2. Congress shall have power to enforce this article by appropriate legislation.
    Your entire commentary on this topic has been to dubiously intertwine "Conscription" to the "13th Amendment". Volunteering for the armed services [[or choosing not to) has no relation to the verbiage [["Involuntary Servitude") outlined by the 13th Amendment, as purposed by the drafting legislators. They have nothing to do with one another. Stop obfuscating the subject with semantics and endless paragraphs saying the same thing over and over. At the end of the day, Trump used all his means and ways to avoid serving the country in a time of war, when conscription was the law of the land. You can continue to dress that up with all the words and straw mans that you like, but the tale of the tape stems from the chronological order of deferment classifications [[with corresponding dates) on his draft card. #Fact

It's no wonder the people here don't want to have sincere discussions with you and your crew. There are ways to articulate your points without writing 600 words over 12 paragraphs.

Your entire commentary on this topic has been to dubiously intertwine "Conscription" to the "13th Amendment". Volunteering for the armed services [[or choosing not to) has no relation to the verbiage [["Involuntary Servitude") outlined by the 13th Amendment, as purposed by the drafting legislators. They have nothing to do with one another. Stop obfuscating the subject with semantics and endless paragraphs saying the same thing over and over. At the end of the day, Trump used all his means and ways to avoid serving the country in a time of war, when conscription was the law of the land. You can continue to dress that up with all the words and straw mans that you like, but the tale of the tape stems from the chronological order of deferment classifications [[with corresponding dates) on his draft card. #Fact

It's no wonder the people here don't want to have sincere discussions with you and your crew. There are ways to articulate your points without writing 600 words over 12 paragraphs.
    Perhaps in your mind the English phrase "serving involuntarily" has nothing to do with the phrase "involuntary servitude" outlawed by the 13th. Amendment but to many of us, words mean things. You started this conversation by calling Trump a "draft dodger" which is incorrect. Trump was classified I-Y a legal classification which allows its recipient to volunteer. Trump didn't volunteer but neither did Bill Clinton, Hillary Clinton, or Barack Obama. If you want to criticize Trump, I suggest criticizing him for unconstitutionally bombing Syria and killing over 40 people there [[Bush, Obama, and Bill Clinton are guilty of far worse unconstitutional foreign policy atrocities) instead of making up nonsense about being a draft dodger. Trump hired tax lawyers to take advantage of legal tax loopholes too if you want to accuse him of being a tax evader.

If you are a proponent of conscription and Selective Service, especially since Obama was on board with extending registration to women, maybe you could explain why no illegal alien has ever, to my knowledge, been charged with not registering for the draft? Males who arrive in the US before age 26 have to register to qualify for citizenship, financial aid and federal jobs.

Lol,but yet here you are neck deep into a discussion,are you saying yours is not sincere?

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7