Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default ...Eastland area downward spiral...

While I am confident that some significant redevelopment will come to the Eastland Center area in Harper Woods [[there are successful retailers in the area -- Lowes, Home Depot, Target) the rapid deterioration of the mall itself is having the inevitable effect on the surrounding area/outlots. Prior to the closure of Macy's, Chili's [[fronting on Vernier) closed [[less than a year after a full-scale renovation) as did the Bank of America branch at 8 Mile and Kelly. Since the closure of Macy's, Applebee's has closed in the outlot as has Walgreen's [[across 8 Mile) and Citizens Bank [[across Vernier). Notably this Applebee's is the location where, a few years ago, I came out of the restaurant with my wife to find the occupant of the car parked next to us draining his bladder beside my truck leaving a pool of urine beside my driver's door. Last time I went there. Another minor curiosity, Eastland has finally removed the 'macy*s' signage from the large signs surrounding the property -- however the sign next to the side entrance on Kelly still says Marshall Field's.

Quote Originally Posted by fastcarsandfreedom View Post
    While I am confident that some significant redevelopment will come to the Eastland Center area in Harper Woods [[there are successful retailers in the area -- Lowes, Home Depot, Target) the rapid deterioration of the mall itself is having the inevitable effect on the surrounding area/outlots. Prior to the closure of Macy's, Chili's [[fronting on Vernier) closed [[less than a year after a full-scale renovation) as did the Bank of America branch at 8 Mile and Kelly. Since the closure of Macy's, Applebee's has closed in the outlot as has Walgreen's [[across 8 Mile) and Citizens Bank [[across Vernier). Notably this Applebee's is the location where, a few years ago, I came out of the restaurant with my wife to find the occupant of the car parked next to us draining his bladder beside my truck leaving a pool of urine beside my driver's door. Last time I went there. Another minor curiosity, Eastland has finally removed the 'macy*s' signage from the large signs surrounding the property -- however the sign next to the side entrance on Kelly still says Marshall Field's.
    I didn't even know that the Applebee's was shuttered. I only go to Eastland for K&G Fashion [[which isn't often).

The Lowe's and Home Depot seem to be the only places over there doing well. Target's still hanging in there, but the extremely high rate of shrinkage at that location has been discussed quite a bit on this forum, so one has to wonder how much longer they'll stick around.

Eastland has been in receivership for quite some time now, so Target leaving would probably be the final nail in the coffin.
    Last edited by 313WX; August-08-17 at 06:15 PM.

^^^ That is a nice K&G Fashion store [[the Eastland location having women's clothing as well).

Maybe the whole Metro area is in a downward spiral? Or at least stagnating. Maybe only the City of Detroit can turn things around?

Quote Originally Posted by casscorridor View Post
    Maybe the whole Metro area is in a downward spiral? Or at least stagnating. Maybe only the City of Detroit can turn things around?
    It's a reflection of the state of retail, not the area. I'm in a fast growing suburb of Toronto where avg. prices for a 1500 sq. ft. house are nearing a million dollars. After completing a $100 million dollar renovation of a shopping mall about the size of Oakland Mall one-third of the stores have left. It's a local joke and a reflection of the times.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    It's a reflection of the state of retail, not the area.
    No, it's definitely the area. Retailers like Target aren't exactly struggling; it's Eastland that's struggling.

That mall was solidly middle class 20-30 years ago, with lots of GP shoppers and the like, and now primarily attracts poorer households from the East Side ghettohoods. Middle class Macomb shoppers mostly go to Partridge Creek, which is successful.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    I'm in a fast growing suburb of Toronto where avg. prices for a 1500 sq. ft. house are nearing a million dollars. After completing a $100 million dollar renovation of a shopping mall about the size of Oakland Mall one-third of the stores have left. It's a local joke and a reflection of the times.
    Canada isn't as over-retailed as the U.S., so very odd. The major Toronto malls like Yorkdale and Sherway do quite well.

In any case, Detroit- area retailers in good locations do very well, and there are few vacancies in Metro Detroit "A" locations. Good luck finding any space at Somerset or in the big box cluster around Twelve Oaks.

Quote Originally Posted by casscorridor View Post
    It depends on how you measure things.

In absolute numbers, Metro Detroit has been stagnant since the 1970s [[and it shows when looking at the infrastructure and development patterns, as it feels like were 40 years behind other cities).

Relative to other cities, we're rapidly shrinking. We've gone from a top 5 metro in 1980 to barely a top 20 metro tody, with mid-tier cities such as Seattle, Phoenix, and even Minneapolis and Denver passing us by.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    No, it's definitely the area. Retailers like Target aren't exactly struggling; it's Eastland that's struggling.

That mall was solidly middle class 20-30 years ago, with lots of GP shoppers and the like, and now primarily attracts poorer households from the East Side ghettohoods. Middle class Macomb shoppers mostly go to Partridge Creek, which is successful.

Canada isn't as over-retailed as the U.S., so very odd. The major Toronto malls like Yorkdale and Sherway do quite well.

In any case, Detroit- area retailers in good locations do very well, and there are few vacancies in Metro Detroit "A" locations. Good luck finding any space at Somerset or in the big box cluster around Twelve Oaks.
    I was responding to the quote regarding the whole metro Detroit area, not the Eastland Mall.

I was really approaching this from a micro level as opposed to a macro one. If you take a drive down Big Beaver Rd it is apparent that while retail is evolving, it is certainly not dead. Additionally, the closures in Harper Woods in the Greater Eastland area have recently been ancillary type business like banks and pharmacies, and restaurants -- all places that benefit from the traffic that a successful retail center pulls in. With Eastland's rapid decline, much of the area around it is sinking as well -- at least in the interim. Eastland's problems may be compounded by over-retail [[although not the case in it's immediate area) and on-line shopping, but it's decline began well before the Amazon era. My uneducated hunch is the property is ripe for Meijer [[which has long been said to be scouting on the east side of Detroit) -- the property could easily have a future in a Tel-Twelve, Universal City, Wonderland-type redevelopment...but until that happens and as long as Eastland remains foundering but open, the area around it will likely continue to decline.

I was really approaching this from a micro level as opposed to a macro one. If you take a drive down Big Beaver Rd it is apparent that while retail is evolving, it is certainly not dead. Additionally, the closures in Harper Woods in the Greater Eastland area have recently been ancillary type business like banks and pharmacies, and restaurants -- all places that benefit from the traffic that a successful retail center pulls in. With Eastland's rapid decline, much of the area around it is sinking as well -- at least in the interim. Eastland's problems may be compounded by over-retail [[although not the case in it's immediate area) and on-line shopping, but it's decline began well before the Amazon era. My uneducated hunch is the property is ripe for Meijer [[which has long been said to be scouting on the east side of Detroit) -- the property could easily have a future in a Tel-Twelve, Universal City, Wonderland-type redevelopment...but until that happens and as long as Eastland remains foundering but open, the area around it will likely continue to decline.
    Meijer's opening a store on 10 Mile & Schoenherr [[currently under construction). I would think a Eastland location would be a little too close to that one.

^^^ It would be [[too close). There's already a mega Meijers on Little Mack [[I think that's the street) on the east side. And the small mini Meijers on Eight and Woodward.....

Retail is certainly changing as a result of the Internet. However, metro Detroit is still stagnated and even in decline in many areas. Empty office parks and shopping plazas are becoming the new normal. Some development happens on the outer fringe of the metro but it's not a sustainable form of growth. Somerset and Partridge Creek thrive because they cater to the up-market. I wouldn't be surprised if we're left with 4 malls total within 10 years. Downtown will grow into a niche retail zone and thrive, and everything else will be a few big box stores here and there, supplemented by Amazon delivery and a handful of mom and pop's that survive the fallout. There is no culture of main street shopping in Detroit besides a tiny handful of places such as Royal Oak. Even then, it's quite niche. Not everyday shopping like you see in other major cities.

hmm. Meijer should open on East Jefferson somewhere.

With four Kroger stores within two miles of each other in St. Clair Shores, Harper Woods and Grosse Pointe Woods, the area could certainly support a Meijers.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    hmm. Meijer should open on East Jefferson somewhere.
    Mike Duggan hinted that was the plan a while back, but nothing has come of it.

Heck, there was a rumor just prior to Autopocalypse that Meijer was seriously considering the land at Jefferson / St. Jean, and again, nothing came of it.

Meijer's obviously not all that interested in the lower east side.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Mike Duggan hinted that was the plan a while back, but nothing has come of it.

Heck, there was a rumor just prior to Autopocalypse that Meijer was seriously considering the land at Jefferson / St. Jean, and again, nothing came of it.

Meijer's obviously not all that interested in the lower east side.
    Funny I was trying to think of a way to say...

"Meijer's obviously not all that interested in the lower east side".

...and when I lived in the lower east side I had no interest in Eastland Mall.

i agree with you 100

After having worked at Eastland back in the Mid-Late '80's is sad to hear what has come of the place.

The last time I set foot in the mall was when Sears was closing. I walked around and the mall was empty at that time.

The food court [[Where I had worked) was demolished [[I believe for Lowes parking), and there was nobody in the mall.

I have since moved so I don't frequent that side of town anymore, but it is disheartening to hear about.

The closing of the Target location at Eastland was widely reported, however it is notable to mention that Burlington has now also closed. The remaining "anchor" at Eastland is Shoppers World [[along with Lowe's and The Home Deport outparcels). I cannot conceive of the mall continuing to operate much longer in it's current configuration. On the positive side, Starters has opened in the former Chili's location facing 8 Mile Rd.

The closing of the Target location at Eastland was widely reported, however it is notable to mention that Burlington has now also closed. The remaining "anchor" at Eastland is Shoppers World [[along with Lowe's and The Home Deport outparcels). I cannot conceive of the mall continuing to operate much longer in it's current configuration. On the positive side, Starters has opened in the former Chili's location facing 8 Mile Rd.
    And from the recent Detroit News / Free Press articles, the smaller stores around these recently shuttered anchors have also closed or will be closing.

I'm curious to know, is K&G Fashion still out there?

Face it folks. Eastland Mall is dying... JCPenney's, Sears, Wards, Eastland Theater, Target, Burlington and even Macy's are long gone. Shopper's World is the last remaining big box anchor store left in that Mall. The rest are mom and pop ghetto marts. Just like Northland Mall along with the crime and violence.

This is what happens when middle class folks move out and and poor low-income folks from Detroit moved in.

Eastland Mall will close soon and be replaced by subsidize wonders and strip malls in Harper Woods. [[Now called " Ghetto Woods")

K & G sales have gone up I'm sure once Burlington closed after their shooting a few years back. The Eastland K & G is one of their bigger stores with women's clothing/ shoes as well as mens wear.

Eastland was more of a community mall surrounded by apartment buildings answer houses. Residents could easily walked from their front doors to Eastland in a matter of minutes. I wonder if the surrounding cities are trying to save the Mall hoping that a new serious owner would spark life into it such as Macomb Mall had life sparked into it.

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    I wonder if the surrounding cities are trying to save the Mall hoping that a new serious owner would spark life into it such as Macomb Mall had life sparked into it.
    LOL Probably not considering they now go to Macomb, Lakeside, or Somerset if they go to malls at all. Hence, why Eastland has been rapidly declining over the past 15 years.

That mall was packed with people when the surrounding neighborhoods had families with 4, 6, 10 kids or more in a household. How they raised kids in those tiny homes I can't imagine.

I heard today that Harper Woods cops are worried about layoffs due to the shrinking property tax coming from Eastland.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast