Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Before I stopped watching TV and movies entirely ....

The series COPS changed something in the way they shot footage. I can't say exactly when, what season, but they started looking like somebody was using a cell phone. It went from some quality video to herky-jerky, bouncy stuff. Aside from too many other changes they made, the video quality was among the big things that made me stop watching the show.

I've seen a few other shows use it and I almost always turned the show off once it started.

Not paying attention.....I actually thought I was going to see the documentary [[later learned it's; 12th & Clairmount), instead I saw a 2.5 hour feature wrapped exclusively around the Algiers incident, it was a good afternoon nap......zzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

I finally bit the bullet and today decided to see Algiers Motel: Based On A True Story [[aka Detroit).

It began with me, a couple of other people I know and nine other people for a total of 12 viewers inside a freshly-renovated reclining-seat MJR auditorium that seats 149 and where you have to use a computer monitor to select your seat right at the ticket counter-you can't just go and pick your own within the auditorium any more.

After sitting through trailers and then that policy trailer theme song MJR is famous for, the feature itself began.

This was the part of the movie with the most action, starting with the blind pig raid and then lots of expected riot action as we weave through the Detroit Riot's first three days, with plenty of archival footage thrown in for good balance, including some that I had already seen during 12th and Clairmount and maybe one that was shown on that Fox 2 documentary that aired exactly two Sundays ago.

There was one scene in a supermarket where a radio report even acknowledges that copycat incidents had started taking place in Michigan's other major cities, as it mentioned "peace being restored in Grand Rapids" or something.

Even the correct Fox Theater marquee as of 1967 was used and many of the businesses that lined 12th Street in 1967 were accurate right down to the signage. But keep in mind though that a lot of the exterior scenes were actually filmed somewhere near Boston.

But then came two full hours of everything revolving around the Algiers Incident, most of it set in the motel itself, but near the end we get treated to a court case related to the incident in...of all places...the Ingham County Courthouse in rural Mason.

At least the actor choices were pretty good, even with the two-hour snoozefest that made up most of this "movie" [[it really was more like a feature-length documentary). The "movie" overall was pretty OK and also at least told the story of the first three days of the riot leading up to the Algiers Incident almost accurately. On a five-star scale, I give this three and a half stars.
    Last edited by mtburb; August-13-17 at 01:36 PM.

Last week, Kathryn Bigelow, the writer [[?) and two of the actors were on Charlie Rose. The Rose show was more about the filming of the movie rather than focus on the actual details.
    At one point, Kathryn Bigelow stated that two of police officers had passed [[anybody know which two?), and none of their names were mentioned.

There's a good wiki page "Algiers Motel Incident" that offers extensive details.
    In the summer of 1969 I bought the book because I had known one of the officers for brief time after the incident [[a real animal whose word or character offers no association with truth. It's difficult to imagine what type of same animal he was during the time of the 'incident', as oppsed to what was portrayed later in the courts.)

I heard this story on WDET a couple of weeks ago. It was very moving. Here's a link to the broadcast and transcript.

http://wdet.org/posts/2017/07/24/854...otel-incident/

Kathryn Bigelow is learning a lesson long known by many in Hollywood. Unless its a movie starring the likes of Eddie Murphy, Detroit does not sell.

The movie is already available as a pre-order on Comcast. No specific date, just "coming soon", $15.99 - to own it. My opinion would be, the movie will be available within a couple of weeks.
    I did pre-order "Atomic Blonde", and that movie is also "coming soon". We aren't actually billed until the movie is available for viewing. We are given access to all of the movie extras that would accompany a DVD purchase.
    The time is not that far off to view a movie @ home, the same date it's released in the movies - just working out how much the charge would be. Whisper is around $20.00.

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    Kathryn Bigelow is learning a lesson long known by many in Hollywood. Unless its a movie starring the likes of Eddie Murphy, Detroit does not sell.
    Or perhaps a movie that is not done well does not sell?

I haven't seen it and I never will [[ I don't watch TV or movies at all any more), but from what I've seen posted here, it's just not very good at all.

I saw and liked Detroit. But I really liked a documentary called "Standing in the Shadows of Motown" a lot more. That was not about the riots specifically, but it covered them to some extent in the context of Motown musicians getting caught up in the riots. And it really gave a vibe of what the city felt like back then. But I did like Detroit.

Let me start by saying, I like the City of Detroit.

BUT, most people simply do not like Detroit, do not care about Detroit, and have no sympathy whatsoever for Detroit. It's just not a topic that people get behind. Yes, lots of contributors here are big fans of the City, but as a nation.... not so much. Detroit is the whipping boy of the USA. Sorry to say it. It makes me sad.

Anyone else think the acting in "Detroit" was subpar, hokey at times? I found the script to be weak and the acting often stilted. Will Poulter as a mean street cop? Quite a miscast, I would say. As much as I enjoyed We're the Millers, I thought Poulter was subpar in his role. I gave the movie 5 out of 10 on Imdb.

WARNING: spoilers ahead.

I agree with others assessment of the true title of the film: "The Algiers Incident" or something like that would have been more descriptive. I lost it early on at two different times: the bro hug backstage at the theater [[bro hugs weren't around until 1990) and using the song "Whatcha See is Whatcha Get" by the Dramatics. The song wasn't written until 1971. You'd think Ms. Bigelow would have done more homework.

I also agree that the acting was sub-par. And I kept wondering why no one would just answer the cop: "the dead guy had a starters pistol and was shooting it out the window. We don't know what he did with the gun."

Save your $10+ and wait for the DVD. Also wish there were more actual Detroit scenes even if it was file footage.

Quote Originally Posted by mallory View Post
    .....using the song "Whatcha See is Whatcha Get" by the Dramatics. The song wasn't written until 1971. .......
    Save your $10+ and wait for the DVD. ....
    Yes, I hate that, too, when a movie that is supposed to be based on facts flubs up. Reminds me of when they made a movie from the book "Fatal Vision" about the notorious Dr. Jeffrey Macdonald, the Ft. Bragg soldier who killed his pregnant wife and 2 little kids in 1970. The film showed the lurid headlines about the murders on the front page of The Fayetteville Times. Which did not spring into existence until 1973.
    Haven't seen "Detroit" yet, as, in a supremely appropriate irony, the city in which I now live has also managed to put itself into deep economic decline. The last movie theater here closed its doors in April.
    So, being unwilling to get in my car and drive 32 miles each way to a theater - will be eagerly awaiting the time it comes to pay per view.

Quote Originally Posted by mallory View Post
    I kept wondering why no one would just answer the cop: "the dead guy had a starters pistol and was shooting it out the window. We don't know what he did with the gun." .
    I had the same thought.

I saw this movie yesterday. Weekday afternoon matinee with only four other people watching it. I liked it. But I heard two people complaining it was slow, fake, not at all what they were expecting.

What year was the Algiers Motel torn down?

What about the first guy Will Poulter shot, the guy carrying the bags of groceries who was running away and got shot in the back twice. Didn't that plainclothes investigator say Poulter was going to be brought up on murder charges? Why was he put right back on the street after that?

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    What about the first guy Will Poulter shot, the guy carrying the bags of groceries who was running away and got shot in the back twice. Didn't that plainclothes investigator say Poulter was going to be brought up on murder charges? Why was he put right back on the street after that?
    Because there was a giant riot going on and they needed every officer they had available to be on duty?

That shooting is one of the things in the movie that is true. It depicts the killing of Joseph Chandler by officer David Senak. The charges were later dropped.
    Last edited by EastsideAl; August-20-17 at 12:46 AM.

A fact that any good defense attorney would have brought up to strengthen his case. Yeah, all in all I found the film weak on several levels.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    Because there was a giant riot going on and they needed every officer they had available to be on duty?

That shooting is one of the things in the movie that is true. It depicts the killing of Joseph Chandler by officer David Senak. The charges were later dropped.
    That thought crossed my mind too, but after the plainclothes cop told him there were going to be murder charges pending, he said thank you, left the building and seemed relieved. Didn't make sense to me, still doesn't. Unless I'm missing something.

That thought crossed my mind too, but after the plainclothes cop told him there were going to be murder charges pending, he said thank you, left the building and seemed relieved. Didn't make sense to me, still doesn't. Unless I'm missing something.
    I think he looked relieved because he was returned to active duty and not suspended. As for the pending murder charge, he likely believed it was just a formality and he'd be acquitted, which of course he was.
    Last edited by Király; August-24-17 at 11:16 AM.

Unfortunate film title, to be sure. Not a traditional summer film release. I might have taken a crack at getting a berth at the New York Film Festival next month, and then release it slowly through the fall, playing on the positive reviews. But that's just me. I only popped my head up to take a breather from working on my spec script for the Poop Deck Paul bio pic that will take the Western world by storm.

I'm late to the party....

I got to see this today. It got an ok-sized release in Toronto, but hasn't done super-well here either, in downtown its down to one screen in a 100-seat venue, airing twice daily. [[still on a couple of suburban screens)

Attendance was ok, considering the above, probably about 35 or so, for a mid-afternoon Sunday screening.

In terms of the box office, as opposed to the review, I would offer this.

I see a fair few movies, in theatre, I don't recall seeing a single trailer for 'Detroit' before it opened.

This is a problem faced by many movies, both good and bad, that aren't backed by big distributors w/big marketing budgets.

Reviews in the Toronto market were decidedly mixed, w/the local alt-weekly being favourable; but the Globe and Mail giving it 1.5 and calling it an 'exploitative horror film'

Between the mixed reviews, and the lack of strong promotion I can see attendance not being great.

The lack of big name acting talent doesn't detract from the film, but may also reduce its 'reach' to audiences unsure about the material.

As to my own take, I'm a bit too young to have personal familiarity w/all that took place.

So my previous knowledge is based both on some common knowledge, some friends I know from Detroit, and from Cdn family old enough to remember watching live coverage.

Needless to say, I knew I wasn't seeing a documentary; what I was expecting and think I sorta got was a film that gave you the 'feel' of the times.

That said, as others have pointed out.....the attempt to rush a whole lot of 'context' into a very odd opening sequence; then spend a bit of time glossing over the raid and the first few days of the riots wasn't well advised.

I don't think it really added usefully to the telling of the Algiers incident; but it did manage to severely truncate everything else.

It left me feeling that the movie couldn't quite make up its mind on what story it wanted to tell.

Was this about one or two particularly bad cops, and one terrible incident? Or was this the story of how Detroit reached a breaking point, at the same time [[roughly) as many other U.S. cities?

If it was the former, there were bits and pieces of a good movie here; but both the beginning and ending need a complete re-think as they seem to be telling a different story.

If it was the latter; then it utterly failed beyond a few platitudes and brief illustrations of the perils of racism in 1960's America.
    Last edited by Canadian Visitor; August-27-17 at 08:27 PM.

Just got done watching this movie off the web. About the only thing it did for me was to get me looking elsewhere for info about the Algiers incident.
    The highlight for me was recognizing that one of the actresses that played one of the hookers was also Gilly, the wildling girlfriend of Samwell Tarly from The Game of Thrones. 2.5 Stars...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2