Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Self-Service Pizzas Coming To Detroit?

http://www.freep.com/story/money/bus...zza/545565001/

I don't know how I feel about this, but I guess millennials will make or break it [[the concept).

I have no problem dealing with a cashier at a Little Caesars.

But, I guess, it depends whose 'personality' is worse, the cashier or the blandness of serving one's self...

P.S. I hope they have studied the 'human factors' involved and not make same mistakes of grocery stores. I can go to a CVS and self-scan my stuff. Little problem. 99% of the items have a UPC. Then I go to a grocery store and none of the fruits and veggies have a UPC and of course no one thought to provide UPC stickers one can put on a small bag of those fruits and veggies So I ask someone what is the code for nearly spoiled bananas?

And that ain't the worst of it: Try buying loose cookies, like tea cookies, etc. My favorite: buy two tea cookies, no UPC, and they are too light and the checkout weigh scale can't register them... Poor cashiers are in a pickle...
    Last edited by emu steve; August-08-17 at 06:16 AM.

I have no problem with this tech, although I am unlikely to be a frequent user because I neither eat pizza much anymore, and I'll just swing by for a standard hot n' ready when I do. However, this is part of the "Fight for $15" campaign's trail of ugly consequences for workers. Lower wage jobs are fairly rapidly being replaced with customer service technology. Low skill, low pay service industry jobs are starter jobs or second jobs for most people who have them; they aren't going to be getting raises, they are going to be replaced. Thanks to those pushing to overpay workers, there will be many fewer such jobs. Just think: most grocery and big box stores now feature self check out. Often, there are far more people using self check out than not. Wendy's plans to have self-order kiosks in all stores, including some drive thrus, within the year. McDonald's & Burger King have been increasing the number of such kiosks nationwide. And all the fast food chains & pizza companies are pushing consumers to order online or via their apps, reducing the need for a human order-taker. Even some "full service" restaurants are now push tablets on guests to order their food. I recently walked out of an Uno's for that reason.

The "Fight for 15" campaign is directly benefiting only 2 groups:
    1) Technology companies and workers, who are already very well paid
    2) Restaurant companies and franchisees who realize very substantial savings in direct and indirect labor costs.

To be fair these changes are happening regardless of wages, but they are happening MUCH, MUCH faster do to the political and economic pressures of the "overpay the low skilled" campaign. And places like full service restaurants & higher end stores wouldn't be doing it at all if the wage pressure weren't there.

Those "standing up" for workers are working diligently to make sure that they don't have jobs. Thanks for making sure they aren't abused with a paycheck and an opportunity for advancement!

I'm glad you noted these changes are happening regardless of wages. Self serve gas stations and self scanning at groceries stores are many decades old [[self service gasoline, I'd guess, might be 30 or 40 years old and self service lines in grocery stores say 20 - 25????).

"Fight for 15" is kind of a whatever. I really believe the Dems would be happy with $10.10 nationally in say 4 years and higher in certain states, cities or places [[like airports where the workers pay big to park).

If legislators were fair, they'd allow counties or cities to raise min. wage rate. I can see one rate for Wayne, Oakland, Macomb, and Washtenaw and the balance of the state can worry about their own min. wage rate.

My take: Technology will be deployed until decision makers find it no longer feasible or cost effective.
    Last edited by emu steve; August-08-17 at 06:52 AM.

They will have to weigh the cost savings against the loss of upsell revenue. Whenever I'm in Little Caesars I'm amazed at how many people walk in for a pizza and leave with dipping sauces, pop, crazy bread and a bill for $15.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    They will have to weigh the cost savings against the loss of upsell revenue. Whenever I'm in Little Caesars I'm amazed at how many people walk in for a pizza and leave with dipping sauces, pop, crazy bread and a bill for $15.
    Absolutely. I bet their profit is more from crazy bread, soda, etc.

Not much profit to be made selling pizza for virtually nothing.

I flat refuse to use any form of self-serve checkout in a store. Not happening. Period.

I'll walk past them and go to the other end of the store if I have to to get a cashier.

This makes sense.

If I'm in such a self-loathing state that I want to buy a Little Caesar's pizza, I'm definitely not in the mood for any sort of social interaction.

That's like lock yourself in your dark basement pizza.

^^^ That's really FUNNY! Just put the hot and ready 'thing' thru the turnstile and let me be on my way!

I detest self-check out. I'm pretty technologically savvy but every time I tried to use those things it was a DISASTER! Lights flashing, and malfunctions galore. I prefer a human cashier at a store and I want to support their value by using their service!

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    I flat refuse to use any form of self-serve checkout in a store. Not happening. Period.

I'll walk past them and go to the other end of the store if I have to to get a cashier.
    Last edited by Zacha341; August-09-17 at 08:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    I detest self-check out. I'm pretty technologically savvy but every time I used to attempt those things it was a DISASTER! Lights flashing, and malfunctions galore. I prefer a human cashier at a store and I want to support their value by using their service!
    I'm with you on this.

I also see it as roles. There is the customer role which I gladly accept and the 'cashier' role which I do not.

I want to worry about things I should worry.