Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default early days in Detroit the 60s

I remember when I was 12 I was a Detroit Free Press carrier I had a night rout I got my paper on the corner of Van Dyke and Gratiot I pick up my paper at Cunningham's on Van Dyke and Gratiot and sometimes I would get my papers in side Sears and Roebuck on Gratiot this was during the 60s, I fine it odd that there is know record of Sears or Cunningham's at this location, this was a beautiful department store and Cunningham's was a great drug store I love those two businesses during those times they did exist, what I don't understand is why Detroit would take these two great businesses off the history of Detroit, we had Floshing shoes a hardware store and a ice cream sit in on the same block.

Quote Originally Posted by earnestknight View Post
    I fine it odd that there is know record of Sears or Cunningham's at this location, this was a beautiful department store and Cunningham's was a great drug store I love those two businesses during those times they did exist, what I don't understand is why Detroit would take these two great businesses off the history of Detroit, we had Floshing shoes a hardware store and a ice cream sit in on the same block.
    What do you mean there is no record? The store is long gone [[as is the HP location), but it was there. I'm not sure "Detroit", in whatever way you mean for that to mean, intentionally made it close. It's what happened when people left. In the grand history of Detroit, a single Sears branch probably means very little. Unlike Hudson's or S.S. Kresge...

I remember the stores well. That Sears store was a big part of my childhood, as my mother and my grandparents shopped there a lot. But they haven't been erased from history, it's just that times change, things move on. The Cunningham's chain is long gone, and Sears has been gone from those older neighborhood stores for a long time, and the whole company is now on the verge of disappearing altogether. And around Gratiot and Van Dyke there is hardly enough population left to support a grocery store and a fast food outlet, let alone a sizable department store.