Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Exploding Manholes Force Greektown Business Evacuations

Every few years, it seems, this story recurs. Manhole covers get launched, smoke gushes out.

"Investigators were working late Wednesday night to determine what caused a series of manhole explosions in Detroit's Greektown entertainment district, sparking an evacuation and filling the streets with acrid smoke.

"No injuries were reported in the incident centered by the Atheneum Hotel and Fishbone's Restaurant...

"...Edmonds went outside. Then she felt a second explosion and saw flames shoot out of a manhole in the street. A third explosion followed. The hotel lobby filled with smoke.

"At Fishbone's, lights started blinking and a recorded voice announced a fire and evacuation. After the second explosion the diners started scattering. A third explosion was not as loud.

"At Redsmoke BBQ, a police officer announced that manhole covers were exploding and emitting toxic fumes. Diners were ordered to stay indoors.

"Several dozen people, some carrying luggage, sat and stood outside the Atheneum at Lafayette and Brush. At least two blocks of Monroe, Greektown's main strip, were being evacuated. A foul odor hung in the air."

Full Freep Article here

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Every few years, it seems, this story recurs. Manhole covers get launched, smoke gushes out.

"Investigators were working late Wednesday night to determine what caused a series of manhole explosions in Detroit's Greektown entertainment district, sparking an evacuation and filling the streets with acrid smoke.

"No injuries were reported in the incident centered by the Atheneum Hotel and Fishbone's Restaurant...

"...Edmonds went outside. Then she felt a second explosion and saw flames shoot out of a manhole in the street. A third explosion followed. The hotel lobby filled with smoke.

"At Fishbone's, lights started blinking and a recorded voice announced a fire and evacuation. After the second explosion the diners started scattering. A third explosion was not as loud.

"At Redsmoke BBQ, a police officer announced that manhole covers were exploding and emitting toxic fumes. Diners were ordered to stay indoors.

"Several dozen people, some carrying luggage, sat and stood outside the Atheneum at Lafayette and Brush. At least two blocks of Monroe, Greektown's main strip, were being evacuated. A foul odor hung in the air."

Full Freep Article here

When I got off of the freeway last night, I saw all the police cars, closed off streets, and tourists milling around. I was afraid there had been a shooting or some terrorist act. This is good news indeed. Glad no one was hurt. I'll have to call and apologize to my date about my smell comment.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; August-03-17 at 08:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    When I got off of the freeway last night, I saw all the police cars, closed off streets, and tourists milling around. I was afraid there had been a shooting or some terrorist act. This is good news indeed. Glad no one was hurt. I'll have to call and apologize to my date about my smell comment.
    I'm sure she'll understand. All you did was mistake the chemical additive they put in Natural Gas for natural gas.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    I'm sure she'll understand. All you did was mistake the chemical additive they put in Natural Gas for natural gas.
    Was it natural gas explosions or did the methane emitted by sewerage ignite?

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    Right. That is a possible cause. On my street, a coupla days ago, the pavement cracked open and water gushed out from a broken main. Luckily, this happened at an intersection and the water poured down a side street and didn't cause damage to basements, etc... The city came a day late to repair. A lot of rain this year did damage under the roadway.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    Right. That is a possible cause. On my street, a coupla days ago, the pavement cracked open and water gushed out from a broken main. Luckily, this happened at an intersection and the water poured down a side street and didn't cause damage to basements, etc... The city came a day late to repair. A lot of rain this year did damage under the roadway.
    We've had this issue a few times in Toronto; every time, that I can recall, its been hydro vaults. Usually its been something like the drain in the vault gets stopped up, so the rain water rises cause a massive short and the thing explodes.

In some cases it may just be aging equipment that's past its best before date.

That's a very dangerous and scary situation but, since I read this, I just can't get the 1812 Overture out of my head.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    Exploding manholes? Methane? Surrrre ... more like Greektown restaurants changing their recipes, trying to compete with Mexican eateries ... everybuddy knows guys like too much chili powder and tabasco ...

Paging Manrooter

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    Paging Manrooter
    +1

It's not the same without him around :-[[

Quote Originally Posted by erikd View Post
    +1

It's not the same without him around :-[[

Definitely makes me sad.