Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Unfortunate Accident at UFO Factory

If you have not heard, there was an incident today at UFO Factory involving the construction workers working on an adjacent development project. The damage caused UFO to shutter immediately and remain closed for the foreseeable future. As someone who frequents this place quite often, I am really bummed at what happened.

Does anyone think this was intentional? Thoughts?

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/new...ent/533851001/

Soave should be rotting in prison with Kilpatrick! The guy is crooked as they come. Honestly, I would not be surprised at all if this was done on purpose in order to pressure the owners of the UFO building to sell out.

I love when people post links with no background and just expect everyone reading to know the whole story.

" In 2014, they opened the UFO Factory, which is known as a dive bar with arcade games and Laika Dog, which serves artisan hot dogs along with beer and grilled cheeses."

So, this is some dive bar dog flopper that has been open less than three years? And this place matters ... how?

They want people to donate to their employees? If the place was anywhere near a success, they would be able to pay their staff during any down time.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    I love when people post links with no background and just expect everyone reading to know the whole story.

" In 2014, they opened the UFO Factory, which is known as a dive bar with arcade games and Laika Dog, which serves artisan hot dogs along with beer and grilled cheeses."

So, this is some dive bar dog flopper that has been open less than three years? And this place matters ... how?

They want people to donate to their employees? If the place was anywhere near a success, they would be able to pay their staff during any down time.
    Get bent. Didn't realize you were the DetroitYes police.

And your negative comment is an insult. I have friends that work there and also own the place. They are great people who have been in the Detroit service and music community for years. Heaven forbid something happen to one of your friends' business. That is assuming you have friends.
    Last edited by warsaw7; August-02-17 at 07:01 PM.

Meddle is a first class idiot I am a business owner for 4 years if the owner of UFO factory is like me or most any business owner he probably used all of his life savings to start the business risking everything he had works far more then someone that clocks in and out everyday his/hers life revolves around work 24/7 its a never ending battle no matter what you have heard Meddle most of us are not rich and always on vacation.
    If someone made the comment and I quote [[So, this is some dive bar dog flopper that has been open less than three years? And this place matters ... how?) to my face we would be scrapping

Any small business owner [[and I know a few) that can survive the ever increasing taxing and regulations knows that something like this is devastating. Are we now looking forward to another abandoned building? I wish them the best to recover!

The bar matters to the community, especially since St. CeCe's closed. It's where many of the younger crowd in Corktown go to socialize, as not everyone is looking to hang out with foodies or sports yuppies during game nights.
    Nothing against those places of course.
    Last edited by detroitsgwenivere; August-02-17 at 09:17 PM.

Zoot's was only open for 4 years and the Gold Dollar was only open 5. Not saying UFO will be seen as being as historically significant as either of those venues but saying it doesn't "matter" cause it's only been around for 3 years is inaccurate and unnecessarily caustic.
    People make their livelihoods from that place and I'll miss it.
    Last edited by KJ5; August-03-17 at 12:16 AM.

The developers should cover the cost of the damages to the building, and compensate the owner and employees for lost revenue and wages.

Quote Originally Posted by casscorridor View Post
    The developers should cover the cost of the damages to the building, and compensate the owner and employees for lost revenue and wages.
    True; if the insurance doesn't. Or maybe both should.

If it was intentional, then the courts get into it.

The construction project should halted for the time being though. Maybe people can donate to their employees too.

http://www.wxyz.com/news/region/detr...struction-crew
    This story on Channel 7 seems to suggest it was suspicious at the least, intentional at the most.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Any small business owner [[and I know a few) that can survive the ever increasing taxing and regulations knows that something like this is devastating. Are we now looking forward to another abandoned building? I wish them the best to recover!
    If I were the owner, I'd hire an attorney, and hold out for reconstruction on the same spot. Sounds like a great location after reading about the development. As far as lost income, that should also be part of the settlement, though the employees would have to show they couldn't find other work.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    If I were the owner, I'd hire an attorney, and hold out for reconstruction on the same spot. Sounds like a great location after reading about the development. As far as lost income, that should also be part of the settlement, though the employees would have to show they couldn't find other work.
    The problem is having the finances and wherewithal to outlast the high priced lawyers [[and other "associates") of a scumbag that has deep pockets and isn't above bending/breaking the rules.
    Last edited by Johnnny5; August-03-17 at 11:11 AM.

As far as lost income, that should also be part of the settlement, though the employees would have to show they couldn't find other work.
    They may also be eligible for Unemployment.

Just looked at the story. For the edification of us oldsters, this is the former Hoot Robinson's. I don't know anything about the place's current place in music history, but it certainly was a big part of my personal drinking and baseball histories, and I'd be pissed if it disappeared due to some asshole smacking it [[intentionally or carelessly) with a cement mixer.
    Last edited by EastsideAl; August-06-17 at 12:30 PM.

They may also be eligible for Unemployment.
    As long as they're not "off the books" and being paid under the table.

As long as they're not "off the books" and being paid under the table.
    Which seems to be implied by the panhandling for donations. And why I used the word 'may'.

If Soave did make a offer as recently as last week that was refused then this 'accident' is going to cost him, his contractors and the insurance people big when this is litigated out. My guess is there will be no shortage of expensive successful lawyers that will be more than willing to take this case on a contingency on behalf of UFO.

There are times when a potential problem should be anticipated and this was certainly one of them. It should have been obvious that it was a bad time to interrupt the neighboring business let alone to cause it to be condemned so close to a failed negotiation to buy it out. That stupidity will be a expensive mistake.

As far as the go fund me campaign on behalf of the employees that were immediately out of a job why would anyone care in the least what some customers and friends want to do for them?

will the business owners and employees be compensated? how does this work if a building is all of a sudden condemned? there are people whose livelihoods are on the line..

From the city's point of view, either the building is safe, or it isn't and it's condemned. In this case, why it became unsafe and who pays for it will be a matter for the insurance companies and, probably, the courts to decide.

Their gofundme account is kicking ass

"There are about 15 employees in total for UFO and Laika Dog. I'm asking you to donate whatever you can so we can raise $1,000 for each of them to help get them through the next few weeks until they have found temporary new employment".

$18,795.00 of $15k goal /Raised by 336 people in 3 days

Updated 8/8 $20,970.00 /
    Raised by 361 people in 5 days

https://www.gofundme.com/HELPU FO

"The largest donation of the day by far is a $15,000 check from Soave Enterprises themselves and the Monahan Company. They say this is a sign of good will and an apology for what they insist was just an accident.
    All Soave and Moynihan are saying is they're continuing to work to develop a more solution, implying this $15,000 check is just the first step".

http://www.fox2detroit.com/news/loca...72524823-story
    Last edited by clubboss; August-08-17 at 05:53 AM.