Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Thread: Mike on Mack

Default Mike on Mack

Anyone know what happened?

Took my Volvo there for repairs and the place is shut up tighter than a drum.

That's a bad time for real! I use small shops for car repairs and try to deal with those who seem solid about being open daily, but it is always a risk!

Go to property tax listings and see if you can get a contact name outside of what you may already have. Contact the news stations too if this goes on too long. Other cars may be captive!

Quote Originally Posted by GPCharles View Post
    Anyone know what happened?

Took my Volvo there for repairs and the place is shut up tighter than a drum.
    The owner and his brother were murdered in the shop about six weeks ago. Talk is that it was a professional hit. It is also known throughout the Pointes that auto repairs were not the only thing sold out of that establishment.

1 dead, 1 hurt after stabbing at Detroit auto shop

The comments to the article speak highly of the proprietor Mike Nazarko.
    Last edited by Zacha341; August-03-17 at 06:07 AM.

To clear up any misconception, I took my car there for repairs last Friday and it was closed. I had no idea. I took it to another shop. My car was not locked inside.

Mike was an excellent mechanic, reasonably priced and work done on a timely basis. What a terrible tragedy.

Quote Originally Posted by SyGolden48236 View Post
    The owner and his brother were murdered in the shop about six weeks ago. Talk is that it was a professional hit. It is also known throughout the Pointes that auto repairs were not the only thing sold out of that establishment.
    C'mon Sy, what else have you heard? What was supposedly being sold? Fess up.

There've been murders of collision/auto repair shops owners in Detroit before suggesting the large cash amounts they tender could draw robbers:

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/new...shop/90815332/

http://www.fox2detroit.com/news/loca...07199302-story

Especially those smaller shops were the owner is working alone at points. The auto tech I use works only by appointment and referral. Zero walk ins. Door locked, very small signage on the door. May seem extreme, but an option some small business owners choose.

Did his brother do it?

I too took my Volvo there for years with nothing but the best service, but there was this one time that stuck out to me. I had a major repair done and intended to pay with a card which I had done several times in the past. This time he was very adamant that I pay in cash due to what he said was an amazing deal he gave me on the work done. I paid in cash that day, and didn't think much of it.

Wasn't until I found out the sad news that the instance struck me as strange.

https://archive.4plebs.org/pol/thread/132399076/

If you search his last name in that thread you'll find a bit of something else that may be solely conjecture, but interesting since no news has come out regarding the case.

I drove by this weekend and it looked open, although I didn't stop.

Anyone have any idea what's going on?

It is under new ownership "Sam". Opened this week under a new name. Owns another location in GPW and do a great job.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    There've been murders of collision/auto repair shops owners in Detroit before suggesting the large cash amounts they tender could draw robbers:

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/new...shop/90815332/

http://www.fox2detroit.com/news/loca...07199302-story

Especially those smaller shops were the owner is working alone at points. The auto tech I use works only by appointment and referral. Zero walk ins. Door locked, very small signage on the door. May seem extreme, but an option some small business owners choose.
    Largely a Detroit problem, sadly. You can wander into any auto shop in Ann Arbor, Plymouth or Wyandotte for that matter and have a nice chitchat.

Big Detroit booster and lived there until 2015, but a gripe I can't get over is how completely dangerous it really is to live and do business in the city. People get murdered everywhere, sure, but not over three hundred people per year in what is now no longer a "big city." The chances of being a statistic are still far too high in Detroit. Most of what I encountered was recklessness but the sheer amount of people acting stupid compounded with the intentional violent crime makes it a very difficult - and at some point, often untenable - place to stick around still.