Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Wayne Elem. School 1969/1970 Kindergarten Photo Wanted

Just discovered yesterday that my fiance and I both attended Wayne Elementary in Detroit for K'garten in 1969 - 1970. Trying to determine if we were in the same class! Can you help???

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Van View Post
    Just discovered yesterday that my fiance and I both attended Wayne Elementary in Detroit for K'garten in 1969 - 1970. Trying to determine if we were in the same class! Can you help???
    No, I went to Kindergarten there in 1944-1945.

Let's try to resurrect this thread! Anyone got a class photo from those years??? Please!!!

This is all I could find. Which one's you?

Name:  wayne elem.jpg
Views: 531
Size:  92.3 KB

Wish I could help...sorry to hear that almost 4 years later, you still don't have an answer. I'm surprised that parents and siblings couldn't shed any light on the situation. Mom didn't save the report cards?

I am interested in this: Did you two get married?

I had cousins who went to Wayne, but that was in the early '60s.

The school is still operational. If you are lucky, perhaps someone there would have some record of former students. If you showed up in person, it would be harder to say no. Good luck.

https://www.detroitk12.org/wayne

Quote Originally Posted by oladub View Post
    The school is still operational. If you are lucky, perhaps someone there would have some record of former students. If you showed up in person, it would be harder to say no. Good luck.

https://www.detroitk12.org/wayne
    If you showed up in person, they wouldn't let you in the building, for security purposes. Even in non-COVID times.

Quote Originally Posted by rickbak View Post
    This is all I could find. Which one's you?

Name:  wayne elem.jpg
Views: 531
Size:  92.3 KB

Made my morning. Thanks for the laugh.

All those elementary school pictures from the 1960's looked the same. Here's mine from White Elementary, you can say its from Wayne and no one will know the difference. You can't recognize anyone anyway.

Name:  Grad 1961 - Copy2.jpg
Views: 543
Size:  76.0 KB

You know, I can't remember getting any pictures till the 9th grade at Denby in 1953-1954 which includes K-6 at Wayne and 7-8 at Jackson. Can you imagine the woke crowd's anguish over naming an elementary school after a man famed for defeating native American tribes and an intermediate school after a slave holder, defeater of native Americans, and the "trail of tears" ethnic cleansing?

Quote Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
    Wish I could help...sorry to hear that almost 4 years later, you still don't have an answer. I'm surprised that parents and siblings couldn't shed any light on the situation. Mom didn't save the report cards?

I am interested in this: Did you two get married?
    Yes! We got married in 2017. Have been extremely happy every since!

Quote Originally Posted by KnnNike View Post
    If you showed up in person, they wouldn't let you in the building, for security purposes. Even in non-COVID times.
    We actually did go back to the school, in pre-Covid times. The staff could not have been nicer! They made us feel like family. We poured through piles of photos, but none from our class year was found. We found a few class photos from before & after our time, but none from '69/'70. During lunch break, we went back to our old kindergarten room, wedged into the tiny desks, and took photos. Very little had changed! It was a wonderful visit!

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    You know, I can't remember getting any pictures till the 9th grade at Denby in 1953-1954 which includes K-6 at Wayne and 7-8 at Jackson. Can you imagine the woke crowd's anguish over naming an elementary school after a man famed for defeating native American tribes and an intermediate school after a slave holder, defeater of native Americans, and the "trail of tears" ethnic cleansing?
    When my Great-Great Grandfather tried to cross the plains in a wagon train to get to the California gold fields and build a new life free of the religious oppression, the big chief and his war party wasn’t talking about “inclusion” and “acceptance” then! His tribe attacked these poor refugees, burned the wagons, took the women and children as slaves, and scalped and killed all the men who didn’t get away. The most racially segregated place in the world an Indian reservation. Talk about diversity, you have to prove “racial purity” to live there.

Yes! We got married in 2017. Have been extremely happy every since!
    Cheers to you and the missus!! Glad you two visited the school and made new memories while looking for the old!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
    Cheers to you and the missus!! Glad you two visited the school and made new memories while looking for the old!!

Thanks!!!