Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Well, Mr. Evans, What Will It Be?

Warren Evans said that he would have a recommendation for the Fail Jail site by the end of July. That is today. I hope it is not delayed further.

Summing up my own feelings is easy. Saying "yes" to the Gilbert-Gores plan is unabashedly the better deal. Among other positives the soccer stadium scenario would:

1) Provide more county jail capacity for the county than any version of the Walsh jail proposal.
    2) Provide more and brand new juvenile detention, court, administrative, and associated support space than the Walsh proposal, which hardly touches on those elements.
    3) Caps county costs with any overrun or delay related costs picked up by the GG team.
    4) Create more construction jobs, as two large projects would be built from the ground up.
    5) Generate more tax revenue for the county [[as well as the city and state), both because current county property would be turned private and taxable, and because more people would live, work, and spend money in Detroit than otherwise.
    6) A major corner of central downtown would have an exciting project that would have residents, hotel guests, office workers, retail employees, and soccer & event fans & personal coming downtown that otherwise would not be.
    7) Detroit almost certainly would be awarded an MLS franchise with a "yes" on the stadium. It would remain a possibility if the answer were "no," but not a sure thing, and perhaps significantly further down the line.
    8) The current and proposed Fail Jail and associated criminal justice buildings are ugly as hell; full completion would not improve the aesthetics in any meaningful way.
    9) The Fail Jail, if constructed [[or left withering) will forever be a shameful and very public memorial to governmental corruption and incompetence. The GG plan allows that to be buried in the past, rather than a daily reminder.
    10) The stadium/high rise proposal would bring in additional foot traffic to downtown, and with it more customers for other nearby businesses.
    11) A successful stadium will rightfully raise the value of surrounding property, and help attract further downtown investment.

I hope a decision gets announced today, and we can turn the page to find a new and exciting chapter in Detroit, Wayne County, and Michigan. Mr. Evans you have correctly done your due diligence by making both parties raise and tweak their proposal. But the merits of the one are vastly more than the merits of the other. That is not a knock on the Walsh Construction team or their proposal [[which seems to be a fair and straightforward construction plan). Please do everyone a favor, and vote with the future of our city & county, and not the past. Say "Yes" to the stadium!

Thank you, Warren Evans. I am certain that Gilbert-Gores, Evans and Mayor Duggan will work in good faith to make the best possible future.

Here is your answer:

http://www.freep.com/story/news/loca...yet/524955001/

A $520.3-million offer from billionaire developer Dan Gilbert's Rock Ventures that would build a criminal-justice complex near I-75 in Detroit and replace Wayne County's unfinished jail with a $1-billion commercial development will move forward, according to Wayne County officials.But, they cautioned, the plan isn't a done deal yet.
    Wayne County Executive Warren Evans said more work will be needed to propel the deal forward, and so an offer from Walsh Construction to complete the unfinished jail on Gratiot remains on the table, if the deal with Rock Ventures can't be worked out.
    According to Evans, his team is working with Rock Ventures’ representatives to negotiate terms of a deal to create a new criminal-justice center, but if negotiations don't result in a contract that's in the best interest of county residents and taxpayers, the county has 120 days from June 28 — the date Walsh submitted its proposal — to restart negotiations to complete the unfinished jail.

This appears to be a favorable outcome for Detroit and Wayne County.

Quote Originally Posted by renf View Post
    This appears to be a favorable outcome for Detroit and Wayne County.
    I think, and hope, you are right, but the IRS issue does bother me.

It could be a 'deal breaker' if they rule in an unfavorable way. It might be the type of setback which is hard to overcome.

Everything else sounds very doable as the County, city, etc. seem to be on the same page.

EDIT: Just saw this Tweet about the IRS issue...

https://twitter.com/ChadLivengood/st...77155010736128
    Last edited by emu steve; August-01-17 at 03:26 PM.

I hope that the bureaucrats in DC decide that allowing Wayne County to abandon the old jail project is best for all parties and leaves it there.