Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Comerica Park to introduce fingerprint scan entry today

Since everything we do digitally is compiled in massive background databases and added to data from all the camera's everywhere, what's the harm of a little finger-print surrendering to the Ilitch organization, or anybody for that matter?

Swapping privacy for time and convenience is a now well established method of surrendering our data, movements and purchases. So why not another?

"Fans must register for the optional service, which gives them access to shorter lines. They still have to go through security and show their tickets."

Are you up for this?

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...an-entry-today

I don't believe private companies should have access to such information. Security screening of that nature should be done by Government public safety people.

I'm guessing that George Orwell nailed it years ago.

Not sure how much time this would save. I generally find it takes no more than 1-2 minutes to go through security and another 1-2 minutes if you have a bag/purse to be checked. These security measures are completely silly of course. If you want to blow up a tight crowd of people just go to the entrances while everyone is lining up for security. Also I doubt the detectors even work. I've left my keys and cellphone in my pocket on separate occasions and neither has set off the detectors.

This is where we are headed, as we've seen an increase in attacks on arenas and stadiums recently.

Thanks to the secondary market, a team will know what, 30% of the people that are in the stadium each night? We know there has been an increase in terror attacks at stadiums [[Manchester concert, The Bataclan, Paris stadium), so security is going to be a bigger concern at sporting events.

Plus, teams are making a total of $0 off resale. Attaching some kind of PID to each ticket and tracking its whereabouts allows teams to charge every time a ticket is resold, and know exactly who is in their stadium. A piece of paper doesn't accomplish this. The Lions use an app [[I'm not sure if it's required for all tickets) that either requires you to log in to an app using your personal info or use your credit card to get into the stadium. Fingerprint scanning is just the next step to verifying you are who you say you are.

[[Not endorsing this tech, just pointing it out)

Unfortunately new theft and new terror calls for new tactics.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    I'm guessing that George Orwell nailed it years ago.
    And it's just a matter of time before someone figures out how to hack in, use your data, or clone your fingerprint.
    This is just as unwise as those employees having chips implanted in their hand so they can use company vending machines.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    I don't believe private companies should have access to such information. Security screening of that nature should be done by Government public safety people.
    We already have it. And don't forget it's garbage night.

--Google

Using digital fingerprints as passwords is a terrible idea because once they get stolen you obviously can't replace them.

While CLEAR promises to keep your information secure, what will they do with it? Sell, trade, or transfer it? Hand it off to gov't or law enforcement agencies if requested? Think about the Ancestry.com DNA ownership of your DNA.
    https://thinkprogress.org/ancestry-c...s-dbafeed02b9e

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-40045942

Also, the folks with the microchip may not have GPS tracking right now, but who's to say that won't get upgraded in the future, with or without the knowledge of those folks? Just something to think about.

Just give me the chip. I'm tired of the apps, tired of waiting for card authorization, tired of carrying the store cards...etc. Put my med info on it, my credit cards, park & parking passes, security access, pre-authorized event ticket info, and anything else you can think of, including a built-in phone with my contact list. I'll walk around and 'talk to the hand' all day with my pockets empty. They already know more about me than me anyway. Can you see the whole world waving their palms and forearms at everyone and everything as they walk around talkin' to their hand ? At least they'd be looking up some of the time.

You seem pretty relaxed about this issue, Bong-Man.

Quote Originally Posted by jackie5275 View Post
    While CLEAR promises to keep your information secure, what will they do with it? Sell, trade, or transfer it? Hand it off to gov't or law enforcement agencies if requested? Think about the Ancestry.com DNA ownership of your DNA.
    https://thinkprogress.org/ancestry-c...s-dbafeed02b9e

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-40045942

Also, the folks with the microchip may not have GPS tracking right now, but who's to say that won't get upgraded in the future, with or without the knowledge of those folks? Just something to think about.
    Something to really think about is how strong is their security, and would hackers do with that information.

Quote Originally Posted by EGrant View Post
    This is where we are headed, as we've seen an increase in attacks on arenas and stadiums recently.

Thanks to the secondary market, a team will know what, 30% of the people that are in the stadium each night? We know there has been an increase in terror attacks at stadiums [[Manchester concert, The Bataclan, Paris stadium), so security is going to be a bigger concern at sporting events. ...
    As 401don pointed out above, the attacks just move to the crowd waiting in line for security or the crowd exiting the building. Which is indeed what happened in Manchester - the bomber blew himself up outside an exit, not in the arena itself.

This type of security is utterly pointless and a waste of resources. I'd rather die watching the Tigers than die waiting for them to check my wife's purse.

Quote Originally Posted by Junjie View Post
    This type of security is utterly pointless and a waste of resources. I'd rather die watching the Tigers than die waiting for them to check my wife's purse.
    At least you wouldn't have to watch this abysmal season anymore

Quote Originally Posted by EGrant View Post
    You seem pretty relaxed about this issue, Bong-Man.
    Nice work.

The new normal. :-)

interesting research: http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank...cy-in-america/

I can't in good conscience allow the U.S. government to destroy privacy, internet freedom and basic liberties for people around the world with this massive surveillance machine they're secretly building. -Edward Snowden

In the end none of this is going to be a good thing. It's all about fear, marketing, money, politics, and POWER [[the ego's favorite word.)
    Last edited by MizMotown; July-27-17 at 11:51 AM.