Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Crime in East English Village

I have been following real estate in EEV for years. For the first time, Trulia reported NO crime in the area last month. Great news!

Quote Originally Posted by David L View Post
    I have been following real estate in EEV for years. For the first time, Trulia reported NO crime in the area last month. Great news!
    Just because crime was not reported, doesn't mean it isn't happening. Ever hear of "juking the stats"?
    What about this month? 30+ rounds pumped into a house in the 5500 block of Grayton earlier this week. BTW, I have lived in EEV since 2001, so don't go there - Where do you live?

Trulia, the Real-estate website, reports no crime in EEV. Imagine that.

Quote Originally Posted by ct_alum View Post
    Just because crime was not reported, doesn't mean it isn't happening. Ever hear of "juking the stats"?
    What about this month? 30+ rounds pumped into a house in the 5500 block of Grayton earlier this week. BTW, I have lived in EEV since 2001, so don't go there - Where do you live?
    Well put.

And yes, there's been an active effort to "juke the stats" ever since Craig took the helm.

on 7/4 we stopped at that gas station at the corner of cadieux and harper at about 11:30pm. Chaotic scene with lots of activity and lots of young people 25-15 just kinda hanging out talking and yelling, lots of cars, deep loud bass. People panhandling for change inside the gas station. Saw 4 white people and they were all high as shit, 2 had been panhandling at the corners by the freeway when we got off 94. The guy was probably early 40s dressed like a teenager nodding out in line. His companion was a teenage girl who appeared to be sick. The occupant of the other corner had fallen asleep a foot from the service drive holding a sign and was leaning toward the road. Another guy was clearly on multiple somethings. Seems a lot hotter than it was when i lived there from 2000-2005. What i just described was more something i would see down at Outerdrive and Harper. Not EEV

Sounds joyful. As a rule I drive by gas stations with that much extra curricula activity going on apart from folks filling up their cars with gas. Was this station participating in the the DPD Green Light Program?

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Sounds joyful. As a rule I drive by gas stations with that much extra curricula activity going on apart from folks filling up their cars with gas. Was this station participating in the the DPD Green Light Program?
    Sounds like it was part of the Red Light program.

Quote Originally Posted by ct_alum View Post
    Well, juking the stats aside, how many people in Detroit even bother reporting low-level property crime to the police anymore?

Unless you need a copy of a police report to make an insurance claim, there's no point.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Well put.

And yes, there's been an active effort to "juke the stats" ever since Craig took the helm.
    This hasn't been going on just since Craig took the helm...it's been going on for many many many years.

idk probably green light. It was the shell and mobil on opposite sides. Hot boy shit was mostly on the mobil side, addicts mostly at Shell. I was about ready to attribute it to the holiday but if i had to guess everyday is a holiday for most I mentioned.

homicide is the stat that cant be juked so easily. When every other stat goes down and homicide goes up or remains stable im inclined to think crime is being swept under the rug

Quote Originally Posted by rex View Post
    homicide is the stat that cant be juked so easily. When every other stat goes down and homicide goes up or remains stable im inclined to think crime is being swept under the rug
    Exactly.

I think I read that 50 years ago the number of murders in Detroit was 714.

Or to be more precise one can talk of murders per 100,000 population.

That said, residents really have a good 'seat of the pants' feel if crime is getting better or worse. When crime is sky high folks flee the city.

EDIT: Here is a Detnews article.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/new...tics/20901891/

Ugh, I didn't realize that murder had completely skyrocketed nearly 50 years ago.

BTW, crazy graph the Y-axis has numbers with two digits to the right of the decimal points as if murders can be expressed as a decimal fraction, e.g., 714.28 murders.
    Last edited by emu steve; July-25-17 at 04:29 AM.

Rex,

Although I find EEV to be quite safe, I would be careful stopping at a Detroit gas station at 11:30pm in the future.

From Detroit News in 2009, but shows how homicide stats can be juked in a big way if the police want to do so.

http://blogs.abcnews.com/theworldnew...homicides.html

Detroit police routinely underreport homicides

Actual '08 total gives city worst rate in nation

Charlie LeDuff and Santiago Esparza / The Detroit News

Detroit -- The Detroit Police Department is systematically undercounting homicides, leading to a falsely low murder rate in a city that regularly ranks among the nation's deadliest, a Detroit News review of police and medical examiner records shows.

The police department incorrectly reclassified 22 of its 368 slayings last year as "justifiable" and did not report them as homicides to the FBI as required by federal guidelines. There were at least 59 such omissions over the past five years, according to incomplete records obtained from the police department through the Freedom of Information Act.

A thorough look at the 2008 homicide statistics reveals other omissions:

• In one case, the police reclassified a homicide as a suicide.
    • Two men were stabbed to death, but were not included due to "insufficient evidence."
    • A man who was beaten to death, according to the medical examiner, died by accident, according to the police.
    • A baby beaten to death never made the homicide tally, nor did a man who was found shot in the head.
    Last edited by aj3647; July-25-17 at 10:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by aj3647 View Post
    From Detroit News in 2009, but shows how homicide stats can be juked in a big way if the police want to do so.

http://blogs.abcnews.com/theworldnew...homicides.html

Detroit police routinely underreport homicides

Actual '08 total gives city worst rate in nation

Charlie LeDuff and Santiago Esparza / The Detroit News

Detroit -- The Detroit Police Department is systematically undercounting homicides, leading to a falsely low murder rate in a city that regularly ranks among the nation's deadliest, a Detroit News review of police and medical examiner records shows.

The police department incorrectly reclassified 22 of its 368 slayings last year as "justifiable" and did not report them as homicides to the FBI as required by federal guidelines. There were at least 59 such omissions over the past five years, according to incomplete records obtained from the police department through the Freedom of Information Act.

A thorough look at the 2008 homicide statistics reveals other omissions:

• In one case, the police reclassified a homicide as a suicide.
    • Two men were stabbed to death, but were not included due to "insufficient evidence."
    • A man who was beaten to death, according to the medical examiner, died by accident, according to the police.
    • A baby beaten to death never made the homicide tally, nor did a man who was found shot in the head.
    Because something happened in 2008 that was corrupt in Detroit does not mean it is still going on. Many things have changed politically and at the Detroit Police Deptment. That Mayor is in federal prison now and his police chief resigned immediately when he left office.

The City of Detroit deserves a chance to learn from the past then put it behind it. The only thing holding it back is the people who refuse to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by ABetterDetroit View Post
    Because something happened in 2008 that was corrupt in Detroit does not mean it is still going on. Many things have changed politically and at the Detroit Police Deptment. That Mayor is in federal prison now and his police chief resigned immediately when he left office.

The City of Detroit deserves a chance to learn from the past then put it behind it. The only thing holding it back is the people who refuse to do it.
    I didn't say it was happening today. I cited it as an example of how easily homicide stats can be juked.

Just because it's "not happening today" doesn't mean it can't happen tomorrow. You don't think many if not most of those people who were cooking the books on the front lines for the DPD aren't still around today? Because they most certainly are.

Quote Originally Posted by aj3647 View Post
    I didn't say it was happening today. I cited it as an example of how easily homicide stats can be juked.

Just because it's "not happening today" doesn't mean it can't happen tomorrow. You don't think many if not most of those people who were cooking the books on the front lines for the DPD aren't still around today? Because they most certainly are.
    Different boss changes everything.

different boss changes nothing. Previous chief had to show that he had a handle on things when clearly he didn't. Result: misrepresentation of stats
    Current chief has to show he has a handle on things as well. Not only is he held publicly accountable but hes out a 6 figure job. Walking papers wont make it any easier to find his next gig

different boss changes nothing. Previous chief had to show that he had a handle on things when clearly he didn't. Result: misrepresentation of stats
    Current chief has to show he has a handle on things as well. Not only is he held publicly accountable but hes out a 6 figure job. Walking papers wont make it any easier to find his next gig
    Let me get this straight.

First you don't even know the sex of the DPD police chief in 2008. Next you see no difference in someone brought back to the DPD by Kwame Kilpatrick himself, promoted to chief by Kwame and then resigned as chief MINUTES after Kwame pled guilty to crimes. Probably most critical in this argument is Chief Craig was hired by Kevyn Orr [[who absolutely has no skin in this game) and was a police chief at 2 major police departments prior to coming to Detroit and you say it "changes nothing".

Be brave. Just say what your problem is with Detroit. There is no need to paint two very different people hired by people with polar opposite ethical standards with the exact same brush.

Exactly different boss changes everything. All it takes is one scandal, one bad day, one bad shoot, and Craig is out the door and someone else is in. Look at Minneapolis after that officer killed that white lady, the first thing the mayor did was fire the Chief of Police.

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.
    So says Pete Townsend who never had to answer to a boss when he wrote that lyric. Put the Pictures of Lily down Tonk, it was a song not a inspiration on how to live your life!

There is a clear exception tho, the people who can't tell the difference from one boss to the next are the same ones that rarely ever get promoted if they are lucky enough to not get canned eventually.

If anyone else wants to say Kwame's Chief of Police is the same as Chief Craig fire away. I will believe you have a different motive that's all.

So says Pete Townsend who never had to answer to a boss when he wrote that lyric. Put the Pictures of Lily down Tonk, it was a song not a inspiration on how to live your life!

There is a clear exception tho, the people who can't tell the difference from one boss to the next are the same ones that rarely ever get promoted if they are lucky enough to not get canned eventually.

If anyone else wants to say Kwame's Chief of Police is the same as Chief Craig fire away. I will believe you have a different motive that's all.

Ok, then, let me be blunt. Have you moved into the City yet, or are you still in Auburn Hills, posting off of contrived news stories you've seen on channel Z? Because for those of us that do live here, and are deeply involved with daily Detroit life, there really isn't that much of a change from a few years back. I guarantee you, DPD reports are altered to reflect what "the boss" wants you to believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Ok, then, let me be blunt. Have you moved into the City yet, or are you still in Auburn Hills, posting off of contrived news stories you've seen on channel Z? Because for those of us that do live here, and are deeply involved with daily Detroit life, there really isn't that much of a change from a few years back. I guarantee you, DPD reports are altered to reflect what "the boss" wants you to believe.
    There we go! The thin skinned funny guy we all know is back.

Detroit must be doing really well. Have to make up bullshit to hang on it these days....

"The real awful homicide stats aren't actually bad enough. There lying!!!"
    -Honky Tonk
    Last edited by ABetterDetroit; July-26-17 at 12:51 PM.

There we go! The thin skinned funny guy we all know is back.

Detroit must be doing really well. Have to make up bullshit to hang on it these days....

"The real awful homicide stats aren't actually bad enough. There lying!!!"
    -Honky Tonk
    Hey, you're good @ cut and paste. That, and the fact you like to make things up, tells me you @ least made it to the first grade. It's bullshit to you because you just don't know any better. Keep armchair generaling from Auburn Hills, Patton.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast