Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Belle Isle To Get Money For Walking Trails, Renovations

Hey,that money came from the new administration,the one that is racist,homophobic,fascist etc.

Why would they even think about accepting money from those people,send it back.

Sorry could not resist.I realize what the park means to the city and hope that future generations can enjoy it with the same memories of those that came before them.It is easy to see what an amazing place it once was.

Really good joke.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Hey,that money came from the new administration,the one that is racist,homophobic,fascist etc.

Why would they even think about accepting money from those people,send it back.
    Incorrect, you need to check your facts. This program was initiated in 2016 under the Obama administration.

Quote Originally Posted by BMoo View Post
    Incorrect, you need to check your facts. This program was initiated in 2016 under the Obama administration.

Thank you for the clarification,I forgot that everything approved by one administration automatically becomes approved in the next one.Would that be a fact?

I wonder what their plans are for the abandoned Zoo?

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Thank you for the clarification,I forgot that everything approved by one administration automatically becomes approved in the next one.Would that be a fact?
    The way i think it works is that once something is in the budget for the current fiscal year it almost literally requires an 'act of Congress' to change it.

So in this case, the Obama administration and Congress most likely appropriated these monies last year for the current FY budget.

They use the term 're-program' if an agency wants to move money from one program to another requires Congressional approval. Even for something like "IT-equipment' to "IT-training."
    Last edited by emu steve; July-19-17 at 09:29 PM.

Why would anybody knock the development of Belle Isle
    - it gets better every year, with attendance way up .

Belle Isle, the top visited state park in Michigan, logs more than 4 million visitors per year
    and has seen $32 million in investments since it came under state control in 2014.

It was a DUMP, with garbage strewn about, looking decrepit.

Agree.

There are wise and unwise [[wasteful) ways to spend money. This is a wise way. The taxpayers, philanthropists, etc. have a lot to show for their money.

I realize it is a state park, but it is an excellent recreational asset for Detroit.

It's this kind of asset which makes a city great.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    I wonder what their plans are for the abandoned Zoo?
    The Department of National Racing and the Belle Isle Exploitency plan on covering the whole thing with concrete.

^^^ I like that word 'Exploitency', I can see it applicable to many so-called plans and policies these days!
    Last edited by Zacha341; July-22-17 at 04:45 PM.

Amazing but between Belle Isle, Comerica Park, Ford Field and LCA one can expect almost 10M patrons in 12 months.

That is an incredible number.

The alternative: Pistons stay in Auburn Hills. The Lions stayed in Pontiac. The Tigers could have moved to a suburb; Wings too and no one invested millions in Belle Isle...

Detroit would have lost almost 10M patron visits to various entertainment and recreational venues.
    Last edited by emu steve; July-22-17 at 04:48 PM.