Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Kid Rock for Senate?

Apparently this country's leadership isn't quite stupid enough yet?

Or the MAGA crowd just wants to further accelerate America's demise and China's future hegemon status by a few years?

Have you seen the Senate hearings where that big giant head called Senator Al Franken made a fool of himself? What monumental credentials did he have before he ran? Rock could certainly do no worse, and even a 7th grader could do better. I say, go for it, Rock!

Quote Originally Posted by kathy2trips View Post
    Have you seen the Senate hearings where that big giant head called Senator Al Franken made a fool of himself? What monumental credentials did he have before he ran? Rock could certainly do no worse, and even a 7th grader could do better. I say, go for it, Rock!
    You think Kid Rock could "do no worse" in politics than a Harvard-educated lifetime political wonk? LOL! The cult in full effect!

The homeless dude on the corner could probably perform better surgery than the Beaumont head of surgery too! As long as he isn't a "libtard"!

You probably think Harvard is a negative on a resume. Better to have a dumb, racist redneck waving the Confederate flag.

Al Franken graduated cum laude from Harvard with a BA in government.

Have you seen the Senate hearings where that big giant head called Senator Al Franken made a fool of himself?
    I did, and don't for a second think Franken made a fool of himself. Did you see him question Judge Neil Gorsuch?

Sen Franken [[D-Minn) Questions Gorsuch on Fired Truck Driver
    https://www.c-span.org/video/?c46624...d-truck-driver
    Last edited by bust; July-16-17 at 03:37 AM.

While I would support Kid Rock over Debbie Stabenow in a heartbeat, I am quite excited about Robert Young's candidacy.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyinBrooklyn View Post

While I would support Kid Rock over Debbie Stabenow in a heartbeat, I am quite excited about Robert Young's candidacy.
    While I have no clue if you are male or female , by your name I have to wonder if you are a current resident of the State of Michigan?

Quote Originally Posted by Isle_of_fun View Post
    While I have no clue if you are male or female , by your name I have to wonder if you are a current resident of the State of Michigan?
    Male, and yes. I am a native Detroiter who lived in NYC for awhile. I moved back years ago, but kept the handle I started using when in NY.

Kid Rock is not my candidate for Senate, but I am not a believer that one needs "special training" or academic credentials or brilliant resume to do well in public office. Character and brains [[not to be confused with education) are the key factors. The best resume ever to be elected president was James Buchanon, and that didn't turn out to be a great success. Jimmy Carter is a brilliant man, a nuclear physicist. Doesn't mean he had any idea whatsoever how to deal with Russians, Iranians, inflation or members of his own party. Citizens from any walk of life can make for a good legislator. Or a terrible one. Most of the members of Congress for the last half century have been well educated, experienced politicians. Everyone love Congress? Michigan's best member of Congress in the last quarter century, if you ask me, was Candace Miller, the former housewife with no college education. She puts in the work and gets the job done. Kid Rock might be amazing or terrible, but he is neither because of his experience or education. Hiding behind resumes and credentials one can easily find incompetence, corruption or malpractice.

Kid Rock is not my candidate for Senate, but I am not a believer that one needs "special training" or academic credentials or brilliant resume to do well in public office. Character and brains [[not to be confused with education) are the key factors. The best resume ever to be elected president was James Buchanon, and that didn't turn out to be a great success. Jimmy Carter is a brilliant man, a nuclear physicist. Doesn't mean he had any idea whatsoever how to deal with Russians, Iranians, inflation or members of his own party. Citizens from any walk of life can make for a good legislator. Or a terrible one. Most of the members of Congress for the last half century have been well educated, experienced politicians. Everyone love Congress? Michigan's best member of Congress in the last quarter century, if you ask me, was Candace Miller, the former housewife with no college education. She puts in the work and gets the job done. Kid Rock might be amazing or terrible, but he is neither because of his experience or education. Hiding behind resumes and credentials one can easily find incompetence, corruption or malpractice.
    +5 .......

Hiding behind resumes and credentials one can easily find incompetence, corruption or malpractice.
    Or, hiding behind a "Hahhvard" education. Derision of Harvard as an institution of learning goes back to the American Revolution and beyond. John Adams was notorious for boasting about his alma mater at nearly every opportunity, to the amusement of many of the founders, particularly William and Mary educated Thomas Jefferson.

Where does eschewing credentials end for you? Home repair? Teachers for your children? Health care?

Kid Rock is not my candidate for Senate, but I am not a believer that one needs "special training" or academic credentials or brilliant resume to do well in public office. Character and brains [[not to be confused with education) are the key factors.
    Character, and especially brains, are highly correlated with educational attainment. I understand its trendy and vaguely populist to say otherwise, but it's true. Harvard grads really are smarter than community college grads, and perform better on basically any measure [[income, health, longevity, etc.)

Causation? No. But certainly correlated. Which is, in part, why a candidate like Kid Rock is, at face value, absurd. No education, experience or apparent qualifications.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Character, and especially brains, are highly correlated with educational attainment. I understand its trendy and vaguely populist to say otherwise, but it's true. Harvard grads really are smarter than community college grads, and perform better on basically any measure [[income, health, longevity, etc.)

Causation? No. But certainly correlated. Which is, in part, why a candidate like Kid Rock is, at face value, absurd. No education, experience or apparent qualifications.
    What about musical talent, good looks and creativity?

Whatever happened to Hee-Haw?

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post

First, lumping brains and character together is a giant stretch.

Second, correlations needs not be perfect. A +1.0 correlation doesn't. Brains might be correlated with education, but not perfectly. Maybe just a little, or a lot. But......

Third, correlation [[less than 1.0) tells you nothing about the difference between any two individuals. Its only about the groups.

Does Rich Wagoner [[GM) have more 'character' than Harry Truman? Truman did go to college, but he left after one year. Blankfein went to Harvard.

Does Steve Jobs have more 'brains' than Bill Gates? Close call unless you're a Mac-head. One of them only briefly attended college. One graduated from Harvard.

Correlation cannot be used to judge individuals. Its called prejudice.

His campaign website is just a bunch of shirts for sale, many with the word "motherfucker" or references to oral sex emblazoned on them, so...

As for Candace Miller, it's just a tad bit incorrect to say she was "just a housewife" before being elected to Congress considering she had two decades in politics at that point, having served as a township board member and then township supervisor for Harrison Township, Macomb County Treasurer, and 8 years as Michigan Secretary of State. So yeah, two decades of experience in politics, but she was a political novice?

Hey, maybe White Boy Rick Wershe can run for Governor too. His campaign slogan can be "White Boy Rick for Governor...Because nothing matters anymore."

Quote Originally Posted by aj3647 View Post
    Hey, maybe White Boy Rick Wershe can run for Governor too. His campaign slogan can be "White Boy Rick for Governor...Because nothing matters anymore."
    If he were White Boy Joe it would work fine. Nobody named Rick should be running for office in Michigan or Flint right now.

But I think a lot matters today. Its just not the same 'stuff'. I too prefer leaders of great moral character. I voted for Trump not because of his bad table manners, but because of it. Well not because of it. But in spite of it.

We tried the sophisticates. The oh-so-clean and slick politicians who say absolutely nothing. Entire speeches full of words devoid of meaning. Who after being elected didn't' turn into leaders, but just kept pandering to special interest groups like trade unions, or radical environmentalists, or anti-abortion radicals. A lot matters. Just different things.

Quote Originally Posted by Isle_of_fun View Post
    Not to mention that there's a Brooklyn, Michigan...

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Not to mention that there's a Brooklyn, Michigan...
    Well even most people in Michigan don't think of "Brooklyn, Michigan" when they hear / see "Brooklyn."

Just what we need, another know-nothing self-aggrandizing idiot from the entertainment industry in a decision-making leadership position. You'd think someone would have learned a lesson already from the rolling disaster that is our blithering idiot-in-chief [[now, with treason!).

Kid should stick to bad countrified pseudo-white-trash rap/rock [[or whatever he calls that stuff he records), paying for [[very nice) historical museum displays, and pitching his crappy "Made in Detroit" [[sic) stuff.
    Last edited by EastsideAl; July-13-17 at 02:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    Just what we need, another know-nothing self-aggrandizing idiot from the entertainment industry in a decision-making leadership position. You'd think someone would have learned a lesson already from the rolling disaster that is our blithering idiot-in-chief [[now, with treason!).
    This is pretty much how I feel too.

Kid Rock and Ted Nugent for MI Senate seats. Really, is it any dumber than an idiot loudmouth reality show host for President?

Why not, we aren't quite Mississippi-level yet. This should accelerate the Idiocracy process by a few years.

But is he Kremlin-approved?

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    But is he Kremlin-approved?
    Yes, Poutine calls him La Krem de la Krem.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast