Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Next Up: Detroit's West Riverfront Park

An exciting addition to Detroit's Riverfront has been set in motion. The Detroit RiverFront Conservancy is using a $345,000 grant from the Ralph C. Wilson Jr. Foundation to send out request for proposals in a design competition for the 22 acre area immediately west of downtown.

"From there, five semi-finalists will receive a $30,000 stipend to develop and complete design concepts, developed over 10 weeks and with an exhibition Nov. 14-15.

The winner will be announced in late November."

If you led a design team what would you do with this space?

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...ass-renovation

I wouldn't mind if this park took over some of the event duties that Hart Plaza has which could potentially lead to a redesign of Hart that makes it more inviting and active every day vs. just during events.

Outside of that I would like to see it become something similar to Maggie Daley Park in Chicago. That park has a rock climbing wall and other attractions for active people and is a nice complement to the more sculptural Millennium Park right next door. I would love to see that sort of relationship between Hart Plaza and West Riverfront in the future.

I'd like to see Penske move the Grand Prix there.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    I'd like to see Penske move the Grand Prix there.
    It's nowhere near big enough and the race is in the right place on Belle Isle.

Quote Originally Posted by ndavies View Post
    It's nowhere near big enough and the race is in the right place on Belle Isle.
    No, it isn't in the "right place".

The grand Prix on Belle Isle is great. The island has never been better with the takeover by the state. The funds and improvements the race brings to the Island are wonderful.

Let's save the back and forth about the Grand Prix for another thread.

I'd like to see some soccer fields, a MoGo station, dog park or even putt putt golf.

I'd like to see some picnic benches, raised landscaping with integrated seating ala Campus Maritus that takes advantage of the views. Bocce Ball areas of rolling grass would be cool. How about an area for food trucks?

Like Belle Isle, it's not going to be an area people just stroll to. It's going to require destination activities. A couple of tennis courts, a skateboard park, designated fishing spot, kids play area, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    ... designated fishing spot....
    I was going to say that activities exploiting the proximity of the water would be the obvious use, assuming the demand is there.

Boat launches/rides? An underwater observatory [[although someone once said it would be too muddy)? What else?

All are good ideas. I would love to see the riverwalk extend to Fort Wayne, with various "destination" activities lining the route West of downtown.