Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Detroit Schools fined by state

There's no questioning the importance of adequate water resources in each and every school, but it seems the district is trying to fix/has fixed the problem since taking over in January.

Why is the district being fined for violations in 2016 when it didn't run the schools in 2016? The state did.

http://www.freep.com/story/news/2017...ees/464383001/

Quote Originally Posted by middetres View Post

There's no questioning the importance of adequate water resources in each and every school, but it seems the district is trying to fix/has fixed the problem since taking over in January.

Why is the district being fined for violations in 2016 when it didn't run the schools in 2016? The state did.

All good questions. I'd like to know when "activist" became a career?

Then one reads this and even more questions arise.

http://www.health.state.mn.us/divs/e...om/copper.html

Quote Originally Posted by middetres View Post

So the state is fining DPS: you don't have enough money to fix things, so we'll take money from you because you didn't fix things. Even worse, both sides are going to squabble about it, and spend waaay more than the original $4000 fine.

Quote Originally Posted by archfan View Post
    So the state is fining DPS: you don't have enough money to fix things, so we'll take money from you because you didn't fix things. Even worse, both sides are going to squabble about it, and spend waaay more than the original $4000 fine.
    I see the irony, but what else can you do?

Should the state instead have a team of plumbers that rush in to solve any non-complaint pipes? Would this increase or decrease water quality?

Taking money works. I'll bet they fix more problems now than before.

[[The other obvious option is to shut them down and then issue more charters, but I'm guessing that's not the solution many here would prefer.)

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post

Should the state instead have a team of plumbers that rush in to solve any non-complaint pipes? Would this increase or decrease water quality?

[[The other obvious option is to shut them down and then issue more charters, but I'm guessing that's not the solution many here would prefer.)
    The State obviously doesn't have a team of plumbers or it would have had them fix the problem in 2016 when the State was running the district. Yes, issue fines for non-compliance and negligence, but the State should be fining themselves [[I know...not going to happen), as they were the ones running the district during the period for which the fines were issued.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post

Pool the lawyer fees both sides are going to spend to fight this and fix the damn pipes.