Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Detroit's Million-Dollar Courtroom

Posted a new building today, the old Federal Building [[aka the old Post Office) that stood where the federal courthouse is today. The so-called Million-Dollar Courtroom, which cost the equivalent of $31 million [[when adjusted for inflation) to outfit in the finest marbles and mahogany, was saved and installed in the current courthouse. Being a federal courthouse, you're not allowed to bring your camera in, but we got permission from the chief judge and bring you a rare look at 1890s Detroit elegance. Sadly, the photos do not do it justice.
    If interested, you can find a history of the building, old postcards, photos and the courtroom shots at http://buildingsofdetroit.com/places/post

Sorry at the seemingly self-promotion. I don't normally do this, but thought DYers might like to see the courtroom - without having to stand before a federal judge, that is.

Nice tour. Nice web site, too! Nothing wrong with giving yourself a plug when you have truly excelled at something.

That was one heck of a cool read. Thank you. Your attention to detail, and context, really brought that building alive. Outstanding work. I've been meaning to also give you and atta boy for your write up about the detroit Times building.

Finding old Times employees must have taken countless hrs of research. Perfect.

Excellent site and info!

That was really cool. Thanks for posting it.

Thanks for the article & research. This may sounds stupid, but did I miss something? They moved the Million-Dollar Courtroom from the old building to the new one? If that's the case, it wasn't very clearly stated.

Stosh Guest

Now that's quite the room.

Nice article and website pictures. It's a real treat to see things that are usually hidden away from the general public, like the "million dollar courtroom".

Quote Originally Posted by Gsgeorge View Post
    Thanks for the article & research. This may sounds stupid, but did I miss something? They moved the Million-Dollar Courtroom from the old building to the new one? If that's the case, it wasn't very clearly stated.
    Then I'll touch it up. Thanks for the feedback. Everyone needs an editor.

It wasn't easy tracking down the Times vets, but the history wouldn't have been the same without it. I'm glad there are people out there who get something out of the hard work. Makes it a little more worthwhile.