Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default would it be possible to convert the street parking on woodward throughout midtown?

Into a two way bike lane?

That would be my ideal situation. I think if all of the parking spots on northbound woodward were instead changed into a two way bike lane, you could easily turn the q line lanes into completely dedicated lanes with curbs blocking them. the bike lanes would have protection from traffic.

now the biggest hurdle would be what to do when the sidewalk juts out for the q line stations.

well i think an elegant solution would be where the bike lane goes behind the station like this:

is this all a pipe dream? what other obstacles are in the way of this happening

Bike lane one block over, on Cass. Not on Woodward.

http://detroitgreenways.org/tag/midtown-loop/

It was really short-sighted to build the 'Q Line' without thinking of bicycle infrastructure, especially considering how much space there is on Woodward.

Not sure what can be done about it now.

I don't see why it couldn't be possible, but I don't think it would be necessary. Like 48202 pointed out, there are bike lanes on Cass [[and on second and third too). Probably better to use less busy streets like Cass, second, Brush, John R, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by ekleezy View Post
    I don't see why it couldn't be possible, but I don't think it would be necessary. Like 48202 pointed out, there are bike lanes on Cass [[and on second and third too). Probably better to use less busy streets like Cass, second, Brush, John R, etc.
    That may suit you, but consider that the Woodward bus still has to drive down the same area as the Q-Line. You can't just force all the bikers and the car parking off of Woodward.

Bikers still go to the stores on Woodward. And there's already been an encounter of cars running into the q-line.

Unless you decide to get rid of curbside parking from Downtown to Grand Blvd on Woodward, which is what it seems like here.

Quote Originally Posted by Tig3rzhark View Post
    That may suit you, but consider that the Woodward bus still has to drive down the same area as the Q-Line. You can't just force all the bikers and the car parking off of Woodward.

Bikers still go to the stores on Woodward. And there's already been an encounter of cars running into the q-line.

Unless you decide to get rid of curbside parking from Downtown to Grand Blvd on Woodward, which is what it seems like here.

See this is what i'm hoping for. there is a full width northbound lane that is dedicated to parking. Is it reasonable to want that to instead become a full size two way bike lane, with curbed protection from the Q line..

I know this is a pipe dream b/c all those parking lanes were done with paver brick rather than concrete, but it just would make sooo much sense to helping detroit become more walkable/ bike friendly.

again the biggest obstacle would be what to do when the bike lanes approach the pedestrian walkways that jut out of the parking lanes// the q line. .but again i think an elegant solution is one i presented at the beginning of this thread.

Bicyclists travelling opposite to the vehicle direction is an invitation to collisions at every Intersection.

No room behind many Q-line stations for proposed bike lane. Sidewalks are needed!

Removing parking is bad for the businesses and institutions they serve.

If automobile drivers can walk a block or more from parking to destinations, then bicyclists can certainly do the same.

Bad idea all around.

And the Q-line lanes shouldn't be dedicated. If they were completely utilized for trains and busses, I'd think differently. But they are not.

Quote Originally Posted by 48202 View Post
    And the Q-line lanes shouldn't be dedicated. If they were completely utilized for trains and busses, I'd think differently. But they are not.
    Shouldn't? There definitely should be dedicated lanes, shared between the streetcar and buses. Should have been done from the start.

I still don't understand how to fit bike lanes in Woodward though. Yes, they can use parking lane, but what happens the streetcar stops jut out into road?

I think it's great to be living in Detroit at a time when we can debate all the different legit uses for Woodward! Remember when it was all academic because we didn't have many people using it? Now we have lots of drivers, bikers, walkers, transit riders, etc.

OK, so there are so many bikes they're crashing into each other because they don't have enough room, right?

When you can regularly see more than 5 bikes in any half mile of road, then maybe .... maybe ... it MIGHT be time to think about considering the possibility of someday proposing thought about eliminating on-street parking.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    When you can regularly see more than 5 bikes in any half mile of road, then maybe .... maybe ... it MIGHT be time to think about considering the possibility of someday proposing thought about eliminating on-street parking.
    Maybe there's a lack of bikes on the road because the bike lanes aren't there??

Quote Originally Posted by EGrant View Post
    Maybe there's a lack of bikes on the road because the bike lanes aren't there??

Bikes can ride with and blend with cars. Always have and still do in most places. No need to get Yuppified to the point of demanding favoritism and special lanes. We're talking about the MOTOR CITY remember, not Bike Town.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Bikes can ride with and blend with cars. Always have and still do in most places. No need to get Yuppified to the point of demanding favoritism and special lanes. We're talking about the MOTOR CITY remember, not Bike Town.
    The Motor City is dead; it died when 1.2 million people like you left, and all the factories closed.

It is time to forge a new identity and to provide a new alternative to the sprawl, auto-focused, sterile development of today that many, many millenials are shunning. Detroit needs to accommodate various forms of transportation - auto, public transit, bikes - to compete with other vibrant cities and to become attractive to those individuals seeking an alternative life-style from the auto-centric.