Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Gibraltar Trade Center to Close

Add Gibraltar Trade Center to the casualty list of real-person retailing falling victim to to the online sales revolution.

The Taylor site closed in 2014, now the Mt. Clemens site will close on August 27. The site has already been sold.

President and CEO Bob Koester says "the impact of online sales on small brick and mortar businesses is substantial" and that "declining revenue and sales are forecast to continue to accelerate in the years to come."

The company says the popular Gibraltar Gun and Knife Shows will continue to operate.
    http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...-clemens-close

Oh wow, where will I get my framed mirror with the Budweiser logo on it now?

Quote Originally Posted by EGrant View Post
    Oh wow, where will I get my framed mirror with the Budweiser logo on it now?

https://www.athome.com/

I loved the description I read of the Gibraltar Trade Center once, that it was like a shopping mall designed and operated by carnys.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    You broke my irony meter.

Purchased a few guns over the years @ their Gun and Knife Shows. That was my only experience w/ Gibraltar.

The company says the popular Gibraltar Gun and Knife Shows will continue to operate.
    Has anyone heard whether or not Snyder has signed this bill or is likely to?:

Michigan is one signature away from legalizing switchblade knives
    June 24, 2017

With the flick of a pen, switchblade knives could soon be legal in Michigan.

Sen. Rick Jones, R-Grand Ledge, is the sponsor of Senate Bill 245, which legalizes switchblade and spring-assisted knives....

The bill has passed the House and Senate. With a signature from Gov. Rick Snyder, it would become law. A spokesperson said the governor had not yet had a chance to review the bill.
    Last edited by Jimaz; July-03-17 at 02:37 PM.

People showed up once or twice, realized nothing of any real value for sale there, and stopped going. Soooo many other options exist today.

....and vendors selling sick puppies from puppy mills.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    Has anyone heard whether or not Snyder has signed this bill or is likely to?...
    Governor Considering Bill To Lift Switchblade Ban June 24, 2017
    Governor Rick Snyder is expected to sign a bill lifting Michigan’s ban on switchblades.
    "The popular Gibraltar Gun and Knife Shows" ought to benefit from that.

But then there's still the federal Switchblade Knife Act banning interstate commerce — which could open up new knife manufacturing opportunities within Michigan, with its reputation for skilled metalworking.

Imagine "Shinola Shwitchblades," or some equally allusive alliteration.
    Last edited by Jimaz; July-03-17 at 09:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Maof View Post
    ....and vendors selling sick puppies from puppy mills.
    And you know sales are bad when even the puppies are having puppies!!

........ That was just naughty: '...by carnys' Hah!

Yeah there were some regular weird vendors for sure. Some of the stuff had cobwebs growing it was circulating so slowly. But I'll miss going there... the circus feel -- even down to the nasty hotdogs - yummy!

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    I loved the description I read of the Gibraltar Trade Center once, that it was like a shopping mall designed and operated by carnys.
    Last edited by Zacha341; July-03-17 at 09:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    Has anyone heard whether or not Snyder has signed this bill or is likely to?:

Michigan is one signature away from legalizing switchblade knives
    From WWW.Legislature.MI.gov: Senate Bill 0245 [[2017)
    ... APPROVED BY GOVERNOR 7/13/2017 @ 12:21 PM...
    8/16/2017 — Expected in SJ 65 — ASSIGNED PA 0096'17 WITH IMMEDIATE EFFECT
    This suddenly opens a unique opportunity for designers and manufacturers of switchblades in Michigan. Strike while the iron is hot! Shinola, are you listening?

"The company says the popular Gibraltar Gun and Knife Shows will continue to operate." Yes!

It still has that allure of forbidden fruit.
    Last edited by Jimaz; July-24-17 at 08:52 PM.

Good riddance to that garbage heap cesspool.

The gun & knife shows are a joke as well.

Some of those vendor booths were getting a big growdy and hoardish. Still I will miss going when the mood hit!

There was a specialty natural soap vendor at one point that was awesome!
    Last edited by Zacha341; August-02-17 at 08:53 PM.

I used to like the downriver one. Sort of an indoor carnival atmosphere. But those were the days when you couldn't park anywhere near the place. The lot was full all day.

Never went to the other one.

so what is the future of the property? apartments? houses? commercial buildings? restaurants?

Bring back the racetrack !

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    so what is the future of the property? apartments? houses? commercial buildings? restaurants?
    I've heard three rumors....it needed $3 million to renovate so decided to sell and tearing it down to build storage units, an amazon distribution center or an industrial park. I'm betting on the storage units although the amazon distribution center would be cool.

Sad to see it go, but as others have mentioned the internet basically forced it into obsolescence. I vividly remember being a little kid and wandering around with my paper funnel of German roasted almonds. Staring wide-eyed at the tables of coins, knives and military surplus and of course the "adult themed" t-shirts were always interesting.