Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Did I miss a discussion on Jerry Booth's passing?

Jerry Booth's [["Jingles In Boofland") passing last month in Portland, Ore. was mentioned in Thursday's Freep. He was 82.

If there was no thread, here's the article. http://www.freep.com/story/entertain...ary/433390001/

If there was a thread on this, would someone steer me to it? Thanks.

On April 1, 1961 WXYZ-TV and CKLW-TV swapped their 5 PM kid's show hosts for an elaborate gag. Johnny Ginger mysteriously appeared on "Jingles in Boofland" while Jerry Booth, in full Jingles costume, morphed onto Ginger's Three Stooges set, creating a Twilight Zone-like vibe. As a child I would often change channels between the two shows, and on this day it absolutely freaked me out. It was all that the kids at school talked about the next day.

I kind of grew up with Jerry Booth. As a small child I was into the puppets the cartoons and the characters that appeared on "Jingles in Boofland." By the time I became a cynical teenager, there was "Fun House" Booth's bizarro version of "Lunch With Soupy" for older kids. Booth was the "hip" uncle who was up on the latest crazes with the kids. Plus he had that crazy talking moose head Clyde Casual hanging on the Fun House wall.

Soupy & Jingles were right at the top of my pecking order when I was a kid. Sorry to hear another piece of my childhood has passed on. RIP Jerry, condolences to your family.

The Awrey's Boofland birthday cake was sublime.