Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Gannon's Memorial Thursday July 27 6pm on Belle Isle

Lowell, please keep this notice up on the main Discuss Detroit page. Thank you.

from the Facebook post:

Join us for an evening of music and song, stories and celebration, as we honor our dear friend, John.

Some of his favorite Detroit musicians will perform [[TBA).
    If you are interested in performing, please reach out.

There will be time for others to share personal stories, a song or a poem.

Gathering begins at 6 at shelter 8E and 8W
    Music begins at 6:45
    Sharing hour 8:45-9:45

BYOB, and please bring your own picnic meal
    There will be grills fitted with charcoal and cooking tongs
    Picnic table seating
    Please bring a camp chair for perfromace seating

Park pass required [[$11 dollar day passes available on site)

The shelter is closest to the real beach, not the Hippie Beach.

BUMP.

It goes without saying, but I am going to say it:

If you care about the folks that make this forum a unique reflection on Detroit's triumphs and woes, you should really try to break away from your busy schedules to pay some homage to John.

He would have done it for you.

Yes, I know I sound like an old scold.

Shelters 8E and 8W are on the north side of the island. See the shelter numbers on this map:

http://www.michigandnr.com/Publicati...e_isle_map.pdf

It was a beautiful night on Belle Isle, and a fitting celebration to the life of our friend. Lots of old friends, smiles, hugs, memories, good conversations, laughs, and more people wearing those Vibram "toe shoes" than I have ever seen in one place.

Gannon left an indelible mark on the lives of the people around him. I know that my life was better for having him be a part of it.

Thank you for being a great person and a great friend, John.

Agreed EricD. It was a wonderful outpouring of appreciation and send off for Gannon with outstanding musical performance led by and mc-ed by Audra Kubat. It had to bring pride and comfort to his parents and friends to see his life celebrated on his beloved Belle Isle.

It was great to see Kathleen, Gnome, PlymouthRes, EricD and, meet for the first time, Corktown Mark.

Wish I could have made it, having car issues and didn't trust it to make it down.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Agreed EricD. It was a wonderful outpouring of appreciation and send off for Gannon with outstanding musical performance led by and mc-ed by Audra Kubat. It had to bring pride and comfort to his parents and friends to see his life celebrated on his beloved Belle Isle.

It was great to see Kathleen, Gnome, PlymouthRes, EricD and, meet for the first time, Corktown Mark.

Really great evening celebrating the life of a man who gave so much to so many, one of the most companionate people whom I have ever known. The Isle was beautiful, the music passionate and so very much Gannon. It felt like an old FSC with a few missing members, and a great time of remembrance was had by all. Pretty sure it was a gathering of toe shoe people as well. Glad I could make it and share John's legacy with his family. Hats off to the above mentioned forumers for attending. John knew we were there, and his spirit lived through all of us last night. Audra did an awesome job of herding the cats, too!

I'm glad to hear he had a good send off. Sorry, I couldn't make it. RIP John.

Pam, John really thought highly of you. I'm sorry you couldn't make it, it would have been nice to have seen you.

I also have to echo the thoughts from Lowell and PlymouthRes by saying that Gannon's reach crossed across all sorts of people.

One could easily play 6-Degrees of Gannon here in Detroit.

I am just struck by how many of our friends have died. It is emptiness I feel when I think about Django, Ravine, Gannon, etc.

It's such a modern thing to make virtual friends, turn them into real life friends and then share feelings virtually. There is no way this new unreal reality could have ever made sense just 20 years ago.

I was there too, but nobody knew it was me It was a pleasure to meet Christine, and run into some old friends I had not seen in years. And listen to lovely music.

Thanks John.

The tribute to John was moving and beautiful!! Glad for the opportunity to remember him with others who loved him, especially Christine.

It was such a pleasure to meet John's dad and sister and to share a few memories of him.

Wonderful to see Lowell, Gnome, PlymouthRes, ErikD, FNemecek, and others, and to remember John as well as other dear Forum friends that we have lost and still miss greatly! What a family we are!!!

Thanks to Audra and all the musicians who played for John to honor his friendship and his devotion to friends and our city.

Cheers to friendship and love!!

Everyone, I'm so sorry I couldn't make it. I was forced to cover a shift at work.

Stromberg2

I was not able to attend but so glad the memorial was such a success. Cheers indeed to Gannon!

And one via my photo stitch app.

Name:  Gannon-Shelter-8.jpg
Views: 697
Size:  70.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    And one via my photo stitch app.

Name:  Gannon-Shelter-8.jpg
Views: 697
Size:  70.8 KB
    That's me at the picnic table on the right. It was a wonderful, inspiring service. So happy I had a chance to meet Christine.

That's me on the far left. Blue sport coat and white straw hat from Henry the Hatter.

I have often thought forum members should have a secret sign or special article of clothing to identify each other in public.

A hat perchance?

I'm sorry we were not able to make it also. Don works afternoons and I can't drive that far by myself anymore. John was a great guy and will be greatly missed. Watch over all of us, John!