Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default The True North Strong and Free -- Happy 150th Windsor and Canada

O Canada!

Happy Birthday to our great neighbors. We in Detroit are so blessed to have your free, prosperous and peaceful country as our friends and neighbors of our international border metropolis, now for 150 years as of July 1.

Long live the “True North* Strong and Free”.

Name:  Windsor.jpg
Views: 605
Size:  89.1 KB

[*Which, of course, is South for us in Detroit - Windsor. ]

Happy birthday Canada! My home away from home. So proud to be Canadian-American and the friendship we share.

On behalf of my fellow Canucks, including Canuck, thanks eh!

Enjoy your sesquicentennial year!

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    On behalf of my fellow Canucks, including Canuck, thanks eh!
    My thoughts exactly. Joyeux anniversaire au Canada et merci à nos amis des États-Unis!

Indeed, Happy 150th to my relatives all across the country!

Happy 150th, Canada! It's a beautiful country you have there.

Many Thanks!

I hope all our friends and families in the Windsor-Detroit area will get out and celebrate with us, along w/your own, upcoming national birthday.

Perhaps the sun will even come out, for a change!

I made a point to watch The National last night, the final show for its host and Canadian broadcast legend Peter Mansbridge, who I like to call the Canadian Walter Cronkite, as he has been a model of total class and reason.

Midway through he interviewed three young [guessing about 30-35] politicians about the future of Canada. One was an Afro-Canadian councilman from Halifax, a female Euro-Canadian member of Parliament from Ontario, and a male French-Canadian member of the Quebec Provincial parliament. He asked their views on the present and future of Canada.

While all were polite and agreeable, in true Canadian fashion, the fissures of Canadian history and politics emerged. All stressed the unresolved past with the First Nations and other minorities, a protest tepee has been erected amid the celebrations on Parliament Hill in Ottawa, and the French-Canadian participant spoke in favor of sovereignty for Quebec, to the awkwardly-smiling discomfort of the Ontario MP. However all were united on combatting climate change and in favor of using the ballot box and body politic for any change.

One of the First Nation arguments, is simply, Canada 150 huh? The indigenous people have been here for thousands of years. Many sources have now changed the dating slogan to the more accurate Canada 150+.

Should have had someone from B.C. or Alberta on the panel. One of the complaints of Canadians in the west is that they think Parliment believes the country stops at the Ontario-Manitoba border.

Happy Birthday Canada! All the best wishes for your great country and its people.

You couldn't be better neighbors to America, always appreciated.