Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Metro Detroit women make lifelong virginity pledge

Not sure whether to file this under "Things that make you go hmmm", "Wow, just Wow!" or "Signs of the End of Times". Help me out. But it happened in Detroit and at its most eminent cathedral.
    "It was any bride's dream wedding — a packed church, a beautiful white dress and a palpable feeling of excitement and love.

"But what made Saturday's ceremony at the Cathedral of the Most Blessed Sacrament really special was the groom:

"Jesus.

"Three women from metro Detroit [and not nuns] were the first to become consecrated virgins in the Archdiocese of Detroit. The little-known vocation involves a commitment to lifelong chastity.
    "There are about 250 consecrated virgins in the U.S. and 4,000 worldwide, said Judith Stegman, president of the United States Association of Consecrated Virgins. The practice dates to the church's earliest centuries, when there were no convents."
    http://www.freep.com/story/news/loca...ion/432771001/

I didn't see anything in the article about how they reconcile this with anti-bigamy laws.

I guess they don't technically deserve a Darwin Award, but they come pretty close.

But seriously, does the church have a plan of action in case any of them happen to virginally conceive? Imagine what could be learned from a DNA test of the offspring! First sightings of microscopic chromosomal halos!

Hat's off to people of commitment though. There's precious little of that around today.

Just when I thought Detroit was looking up with a new movie theater and the best drivers,I read the thread title and thought aw heck.

I was raised Lutheran but I was always under the impression,other then some movies out there,that devoted nuns and priests were already under vows of celibacy?

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    ... I was always under the impression,other then[than] some movies out there,that devoted nuns and priests were already under vows of celibacy?
    Unlike nuns, they are not part of a religious order. They will continue to work regular jobs and financially support themselves, while being steadfastly dedicated to serving the church.
    characters

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    characters

Right so instead of a traditional nun they will be a nun in general public.Or maybe this is the beginning of a new trend?

I apologize for not sending this to you in a pm first so you could proof read and correct my spelling and pronunciation. I will try and do so the next time.

Sounds like a bizarre cult to me.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    Sounds like a bizarre cult to me.
    After the latest story out of the Vatican/Australia today you are being extremely kind in your description. But hey let's send them children and tax dollars, after all it can't be worse. And if it is... well, at least they have a lot of experience at covering it up.
    Last edited by ABetterDetroit; June-29-17 at 08:20 PM.

Pictures may speak a thousand words.

Reminds me a lot of sports fans.

Polygamy?

Did they just marry the Father, the Son and the Holy Ghost?

I found this website; to each their own I guess. Why not become a nun, though?
    http://consecratedvirgins.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Wesson View Post
    Polygamy?

Did they just marry the Father, the Son and the Holy Ghost?
    Amen......

In the immortal words of Woody Allen "Don't knock masturbation. It's sex with the person I love the most."

This is bizarre. Can you imagine if it were, say, Muslim women "marrying" the Prophet?

Anyways, good for them, I guess. How do you get to your 40's, apparently dating lots of people according to the article, and honestly remain 100% "chaste"?

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    This is bizarre. Can you imagine if it were, say, Muslim women "marrying" the Prophet?

Anyways, good for them, I guess. How do you get to your 40's, apparently dating lots of people according to the article, and honestly remain 100% "chaste"?
    It was probably a typo. They more likely meant "chased".

Virginity is like a balloon, one pr--- and it is gone.

I find it interesting that only women can become "consecrated virgins", not men. Yes, men can join the priesthood and take a vow of celibacy, as women can when they become nuns, but there is no means for men to become "consecrated virgins" and otherwise take on no official role in the church, as these women can.

So don't worry Catholic men, you are under no expectation to remain chaste and pure, those are qualities that religion seemingly only demands of women. And I'm not singling out Catholicism here, since all patriarchal religions have this same sexual double standard built into their very core [[Islam, Judaism, Protestant Christianity, Mormonism, etc).

Yes, sexual sins apply to men, but de facto they seem to apply more stringently to women than to men.

Quote Originally Posted by aj3647 View Post
    I find it interesting that only women can become "consecrated virgins", not men. Yes, men can join the priesthood and take a vow of celibacy, as women can when they become nuns, but there is no means for men to become "consecrated virgins" and otherwise take on no official role in the church, as these women can.

So don't worry Catholic men, you are under no expectation to remain chaste and pure, those are qualities that religion seemingly only demands of women. And I'm not singling out Catholicism here, since all patriarchal religions have this same sexual double standard built into their very core [[Islam, Judaism, Protestant Christianity, Mormonism, etc).

Yes, sexual sins apply to men, but de facto they seem to apply more stringently to women than to men.
    That would be the gay men that stay in the church and attend Courage meetings with their tail between their legs.

Quote Originally Posted by aj3647 View Post

The male equivalent of a consecrated virgin is to become a consecrated hermit, in this case a diocesan hermit. I gather the desert is optional these days.

Quote Originally Posted by archfan View Post
    The male equivalent of a consecrated virgin is to become a consecrated hermit, in this case a diocesan hermit. I gather the desert is optional these days.
    That is NOT the equivalent. Hermits are expected to basically withdraw from society completely and devout their lives to solitude and prayer. Is that what these women are doing? No, they lead normal lives, have jobs, socialize normally...and are expected to never have sex or get married or have children. Like I said, there is no equivalent for men in the Catholic Church. It's a double standard. Patriarchal religions always hold women to much higher and stricter standards of sexual morality than they do to men.

Also, in today's Catholic Church, to be formally recognized as a hermit by the Church, you have to be a member of one of the Catholic religious orders. In short, you become either a monk or a friar.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hermit#Catholicism

You can informally become a hermit, go live out in a shack in the woods like the Unabomber, but this isn't something that the Church formally recognizes. And if you do this, then of course there is no religious dictate that you remain celibate to do so.

You're right, I neglected the anchoritic, or 'living apart' aspect of hermetic life. After reading more, it looks like males could join a secular institute, which has the aspects of living in the world and chastity [[but doesn't require virginity). There are secular institute for men and women, so the consecrated virgin does appear to be unique.