Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Next up Pontiac?

Downtown Pontiac is second only to Detroit, albeit a distant second, when it comes to beautiful architecture. I always thought it, and Pontiac as a whole, had great prospects for urban revival -- great architecture surrounded by very wealthy suburbs.

Yet every fit and start seems to have began with big bang fanfare and then sputtered to nothing -- from its Renaissance-Center-like attempt with the ill-fated Phoenix Center to a brief reign as an art center centered around Lawrence street and the alley. Then receivership.

Now comes news in one week of two sizable corporations moving their headquarters to Pontiac. While these are not downtown, I think then indicate a long missing confidence. Hopefully it bodes well for Pontiac.

Williams International to move headquarters to former Pontiac film studio
    $344.5 million project would create 400 jobs

United Shore to move headquarters from Troy to Pontiac
    The company will begin construction in August with plans of moving its entire operations, including its more than 2,000 employees, into the building next summe

Who will travel to Pontiac.........and spend time there......."crickets chirping"

General Motors pulled out and a LOT went with it a few years ago
    http://criticaldetroit.org/general-motors-pcc-central/
    Last edited by O3H; June-29-17 at 07:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by O3H View Post
    Who will travel to Pontiac.........and spend time there......."crickets chirping"

Well in a little more than a month, the streets will be swollen with people and cars for the Dream Cruise.

In the late 1990's thru the mid-2000's, Pontiac was a significant center of nightlife in the metro area. Notable clubs included Clutch Cargo's and Tonic, JD's Key Club [[Piano Bar), and Sevin. In addition, Arts, Beats & Eats festival was held there originally.

I think the ascent of downtown Detroit may have led to the decline of the downtown Pontiac scene, along with the economic meltdown. But like Lowell said, it is surrounded by wealthy suburbs and new businesses, like Slow's BBQ and a new brewery, have opened recently.

I would.

Currently I work in Downtown Detroit, which is pretty neat and I really enjoy it.

However, if I had a chance to get a tech job with United Shore and instead commute from Rochester Hills to Pontiac, I would heavily consider the offer. I'd be giving up a lot of the perks that Downtown Detroit has to offer, but spending less time in a car would be a big draw.

Also, for those that do think like you, the United Shore move is to a large campus surrounded by a parking lot, just like so many Troy and Southfield office buildings. It is very suburban.

Pontiac doesn't have much walkable or historical stock. It was a community where the housing was basically thrown up overnight to serve auto workers coming up from the South.

Pontiac actually seemed to be revitalizing somewhat in the 1980's and 1990's. As a teen in the 1990's, I went to my first clubs in Pontiac. There were some downtown restaurants and festivals, now all gone. And I doubt it's ever truly thriving in our lifetime.

Capitalist societies kinda need cheap, undesirable areas. Even if you fixed the [[very small, unimpressive) core, I think the rest of the city would continue to be a last-resort type place for housing in central Oakland county.

United Shore’s move is motivated solely by office space requirements rather than any desire to add “urban amenities” to its employees’ work environment. While it would have been great for the region to see such a large employer invest in downtown Pontiac, or downtown Detroit for that matter, the company has clearly made a judgment that its bottom line was not best served by such a move. Also, United Shore has a very unique corporate culture that management perhaps thought wouldn’t benefit from competition for employees’ attention with attractions outside the office on the street. The company’s decision is understandable but nonetheless disappointing to anyone who believes that strengthening our urban centers is crucial to regionwide economic growth.

Everyone living in the past -- it's 2017 and Pontiac is a hard sell to most

Next thing you know Inkster will be coming back!

"Who would travel to Pontiac?"

You make it sound like Pontiac is located in some far-flung place in the middle of nowhere that would require

Pontiac is in the middle of Oakland County, and is surrounded by Auburn Hills, Orchard Lake, Rochester Hills, Bloomfield Township, Waterford, etc. It is literally just a couple of miles down the street [[and in the middle) of all of these places.

What exactly, specifically , and uniquely, would draw somone to Pontiac - make that trip - instead of staying in their neighborhood of AuburnHills, Rochester, SylvanLake, etc., etc. ??