Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Woodward to Mike Ilitch Blvd.

I'll start this thread with a resounding NO.

"The portion of Woodward between Montcalm Street and East Adams Avenue would be called Mike Ilitch Boulevard, according to the bill, which was introduced June 15. Its primary sponsor is Sen. Coleman Young II, who is running for Detroit mayor."

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article/20170628/NEWS/170629875/bill-would-rename-woodward-avenue-section-in-honor-of-mike-ilitch

So L'il Coley is already trying to ruin the city?

NO!!!

How about this? "Ill Itch Place"

Every time I think about it, I get a bad itch in a bad place.

Attachment 33669

It's like calling part of I-96 Rosa Parks Freeway... I-94 in Macomb County James O'Hara Freeway or parts of M-53 [[Van Dyke) Earle Memorial Highway... no one will pay attention to a pair of small signs, and continue to call it what it's always been called...

It will just be another semi-meaningless unused label....
    Last edited by Gistok; June-28-17 at 11:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    It's like calling part of I-96 Rosa Parks Freeway... I-94 in Macomb County James O'Hara Freeway or parts of M-53 [[Van Dyke) Earle Memorial Highway... no one will pay attention to a pair of small signs, and continue to call it what it's always been called...

It will just be another semi-meaningless unused label....
    Have you noticed that the Davison and Chrysler interchange is now the Charles J. Rogers Interchange? Didn't think so.

This also sounds like Joel wants to appeal to whatever white electorate there is. Yeah, probably not gonna happen.

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    Have you noticed that the Davison and Chrysler interchange is now the Charles J. Rogers Interchange? Didn't think so.
    LOL.... no... I didn't notice that... and probably never will. I'm an eastsider... but that is taking it to the next step....

Make it Park Ave, then maybe I'll be down. That's a street that deserves his name.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    How about this? "Ill Itch Place"

Every time I think about it, I get a bad itch in a bad place.

Attachment 33669
    Haha but you may have a point. If I created a shit hole and had it named after me in shame, trust me, I'd have it flipped quick smart. That is no legacy to leave behind.

And Washington Blvd is John Conyers Blvd. Nobody really cares.

And since when has Woodward been a Boulevard???

As I've stated elsewhere, I think the world of Mike Ilitch. I know he was a very polarizing figure. But I think he led an amazing life, did wonderful things for this community, and was a founding partner in Detroit's revival. BUT, I oppose renaming Woodward- or any portion of it- for him. Why? Because it is named for someone else! The whole point of naming something after someone is to remember them. Changing it to someone else's name is disrespectful the original honoree. Mike Ilitch will not lack for things to be named after him.

A couple of other points on this general thread. I think no street or government entity should be renamed for politicians, unless they are dead, and a ten year wait is honored [[so that initial sadness over the death doesn't make a permanent change). McNamara Terminal makes me cringe every time I am at the airport. Nothing named in honor of someone should ever be renamed. Lastly, and MicrosoftFan hinted at this, renaming existing things is usually ignored anyway, making the fuss and money involved pretty pointless.

Another thought just popped into my head: Why would "Coleman Young, Jr" be suggesting this proposal? Ilitch would squarely be put in the "new developers" clique of the Detroit politico-business world, a group pretty aligned with the incumbent mayor. Aside from not being a credible or qualified candidate with an assumed name, he seems to have made a proposal those inclined to support him would oppose.

A number of streets, usually a couple of blocks have the additional street signs [[an honorific title) of individuals. They are all over downtown Chicago for example. The fact that "Joel Loving", aka Coleman Young Jr. suggested this seems to make it a political ploy to gather a few votes. Not impressed.

Stuff happens. How many of you call it the MacArthur Bridge?????

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Stuff happens. How many of you call it the MacArthur Bridge?????

Uh, one...

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyinBrooklyn View Post
    Another thought just popped into my head: Why would "Coleman Young, Jr" be suggesting this proposal?
    1. He hopes for Illitch campaign donations
    2. A day almost went by when his name wasn't in the media.

Quote Originally Posted by Zads07 View Post
    I'll start this thread with a resounding NO.

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...of-mike-ilitch

"The portion of Woodward between Montcalm Street and East Adams Avenue would be called Mike Ilitch Boulevard, according to the bill, which was introduced June 15. Its primary sponsor is Sen. Coleman Young II, who is running for Detroit mayor."
    Couldn't care less

Does Mike Ilitch really resonate that much with Detroit voters? Hockey and baseball fans love him... I think this is a miscalculation on Loving's part.

I propose naming one of the parking lots after him instead.

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    Does Mike Ilitch really resonate that much with Detroit voters? Hockey and baseball fans love him... I think this is a miscalculation on Loving's part.
    I am not being facetious when writing the following: there is no part of his campaign that is not a miscalculation. The only thing he has that makes him different than a blade of grass as a candidate is his sperm donor's recently adopted name.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyinBrooklyn View Post
    I am not being facetious when writing the following: there is no part of his campaign that is not a miscalculation. The only thing he has that makes him different than a blade of grass as a candidate is his sperm donor's recently adopted name.
    Indeed.....just more "grandstanding" and pandering from the unqualified CAYII...yawn!!

This also sounds like Joel wants to appeal to whatever white electorate there is. Yeah, probably not gonna happen.
    It's been named that since the intersection was built. There were signs on the upper portion of the intersection which only disappeared a couple years ago.

Make it Park Ave, then maybe I'll be down. That's a street that deserves his name.
    I second that emotion.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    I propose naming one of the parking lots after him instead.
    Or maybe a weed & garbage strewn lot where an artful, unique and irreplaceable building should be standing. Hmm...where could we find one of those.......?