Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Baltimore & Woodward History?

I work in research in Detroit and I'm trying to find out more about the history of 6402 and 6408 Woodward Ave. that are going into the Baltimore Station mixed-use residential over retail project. Heard some rumors about one of the buildings being a gay bar and the other a hardware store... but no specific names of the bar or hardware store, or any ways that I could attach the addresses of the buildings to those things.

Anyone know anything more?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by gabrielle.guthrie View Post
    I work in research in Detroit and I'm trying to find out more about the history of 6402 and 6408 Woodward Ave. that are going into the Baltimore Station mixed-use residential over retail project. Heard some rumors about one of the buildings being a gay bar and the other a hardware store... but no specific names of the bar or hardware store, or any ways that I could attach the addresses of the buildings to those things.

Anyone know anything more?

Thanks!
    You're on the right block, but your addresses are a little off. And it's no rumor. At 6432 Woodward is Detroit Hardware, perhaps the oldest existing hardware store in the city [[established 1924). Just next door at 6426 Woodward [[without a sign) is the Woodward Bar, which claims to be the oldest continually operating gay bar in Detroit.

Back when I worked in the city research office we used to drive out to places to check them out and confirm information. I would imagine today, with Streetview and other internet tools [[like this board), it's much easier to gather that information and no longer necessary to take those scouting trips.

And an aside: Across Baltimore, where the White Castle is now, there was once a large bowling center called Great Lakes Lanes. It had 60 lanes and a big entrance with a mural of Hall of Fame bowlers. When I was a kid in the '60s and '70s that was where the Detroit Public Schools around the center city held bowling lessons and leagues, and where I learned to bowl.
    Last edited by EastsideAl; June-27-17 at 09:47 PM.