Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Henry the Hatter Getting Gentrified out of Downtown?

I have a 1942 map of downtown Detroit showing all the businesses. When I got the map, only five had stuck it out through the years. One was Henry the Hatter. Now there are rumblings that booming/recovering downtown with rising rents may squeeze them out.

http://www.wxyz.com/news/iconic-hat-...oit-rent-rises

Name:  henry.jpg
Views: 1766
Size:  30.8 KB

...and, in case you are curious, the other 4 were Lafayette Coney, American Coney, Simmons & Clark Jewelry and the Alcove Bar [since gone].

Why didn't they buy when buildings could be bought for nothing?

Also, who wears fedoras these days? That hasn't been a thing since the Kennedy administration.

I bet you they sell much more stuff online these days anyways. That's such a niche market.

If that place has been around for so long, and it has an historical marker, you think that Henry the Hatter would catch a break.

It's the best place to catch a new Kangol.

I'd rather go there than go to Lids.

Since Dan Gilbert is a buying spree, property values are going up up up!!! Most of the long time and historic businesses in Gilberttown [[ formally Downtown Detroit.) will be long gone. Replace by millennial only shops and restaurants.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post

Also, who wears fedoras these days? That hasn't been a thing since the Kennedy administration.

I bet you they sell much more stuff online these days anyways. That's such a niche market.

I never have understood that part,small mom n pop businesses never really make tons of money,you make enough to live comfortable and buy the property that your business is in then when it comes time to retire you sell the property for the nest egg.

There was a family grocery store by me that was owned for 60 years and was extremely popular with generations,during the market bubble the building owner decided to sell and not renew the lease,poof they were done.

Tore the building down and now the vacant lot has been sitting for over 6 years.They had plenty of chances to buy relatively cheap property in that span also.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Since Dan Gilbert is a buying spree, property values are going up up up!!! Most of the long time and historic businesses in Gilberttown [[ formally Downtown Detroit.) will be long gone. Replace by millennial only shops and restaurants.
    I know you are trolling, but come on. Didn't know Shake Shack and Nike were for millennials only.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/new...own/103313828/

Lease has been terminated and now they are closing Aug. 5. I find it hard to believe they can't find another location. There are tons of empty storefronts, including some on the ground floor of parking garages that have never been used. It's not like they need a large, unique space to hang their hats.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    I find it hard to believe they can't find another location.
    They have another location, in Southfield.

Also, there is a difference between empty retail space and usable retail space. I don't think Henry's has the capital to rent out a long-vacant space and build it out to fit their needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post

Plenty of people wear Fedora's, Straw Hats, Kangol's and other styles.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    And don't forget the pork-pie...

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    And don't forget the pork-pie...
    Goodbye pork pie hat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IsNHDuwJrM

Quote Originally Posted by yaktown View Post
    Thanx yaktown, I'm familiar with both the song and Charles Mingus. Musicians and Jazz folk still favor that brim. I guess the song now has taken on a different meaning.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; July-01-17 at 06:57 AM.

I think the new Siren hotel in the Wurlitzer building would be smart to offer Henry the Hatter one of its retail spots. Yes, I'm sure it would have to charge more than the store is paying now, but the hotel will have multiple revenue streams to offset the less-than-market-rate it can charge to keep the legendary store in the neighborhood. And the positive PR wouldn't hurt either.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    Count me in and I have two from Henry the Hatter.

I frequently get compliments from total strangers. Not sure why, maybe it's the novelty, but a good quality hat adds a degree of elegance and self-confidence to one's appearance that a bare head or baseball cap can't. I have heard it said that JFK killed the hat industry. Before him almost all men wore hats in public.

^^^ Yep, I love to see a man in a cool hat!

Hats [[stylish beyond baseball cap) are serious business for some men, including colors and themes that compliment the entire outfit ensemble. Stores like Henry the Hatter are the place for the nuanced to far-out-there styles. My dad always wore a hat beyond JFK time.

I hope they find a new home soon to continue the tradition of hats of unique styles and varieties.
    Last edited by Zacha341; July-01-17 at 09:37 AM.

Name:  download [[1).jpg
Views: 1167
Size:  8.3 KB
    ______

Pacino or Sam .... in their hats. Too Cool for School!
    Last edited by Zacha341; July-01-17 at 07:32 PM.

There may be some hope that Henry the Hatter might be able to stay:

https://www.metrotimes.com/news-hits...roit-after-all

The empty storefront in the Detroit Opera House would be perfect for a new location

Also being covered in the News. They might even be able to stay downtown.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/new...ore/103470580/

I wonder to what extent these developments might be due to some behind the scenes action by the city:

http://www.freep.com/story/news/loca...oit/444686001/
    Last edited by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast; July-08-17 at 08:20 PM.

Progress is a good thing regardless os the violins playing in the background.

I stopped in last week and picked up a new panama straw Fedora by Stetson, while there Alan was pulled away to answer a call from The Mayor.

I have no idea what they discussed but they were on the phone a long time. My guess would be in excess of 15 minutes.

The people that own the building are The Sterling Group. They have owned the building for around 20 years which places their ownership around the time when Alan's dad passed away.

While I don't know, I speculate that the Wassermans sold the building to pay medical bills. But that is just a baseless rumor founded on nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    I have a 1942 map of downtown Detroit showing all the businesses. When I got the map, only five had stuck it out through the years.
    Lowell, is that map you speak of digitized?

My dad took me to Henry's to buy my first dress hat as a kid for Easter about 1957-ish.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Count me in and I have two from Henry the Hatter.
    Hats are total chick magnets. Baseball caps are not. Take note, guys.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast