Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Your "Black Flight" Story

In 2000 Detroit's black population was over 780,000 now it's been reduced to 560,000 people.

What about all of your former black Detroiters? What is the reason most of you after Detroit?

Seems like a lot of the younger black flight that I have seen is to another state mostly GA and Florida

Quote Originally Posted by Oddz313 View Post
    Seems like a lot of the younger black flight that I have seen is to another state mostly GA and Florida
    I chose Santa Fe, NM

Ya warm states are the norm

Quote Originally Posted by Oddz313 View Post
    Can you blame them?

There's no reason for them to stay in Michigan unless they want to be stuck working low wage temp jobs while having to contend with dying/dead cities, crumbling infrastructure and backward-ass ineffective government.

As stated before, the only black flight has been by older [[read: near-retirement) middle class blacks who managed to get somewhat established in their careers before autopocalypse.

Younger/educated black people continue to flee for Chicago / Philadelphia / Atlanta / Charlotte / Houston while the poor black people remain stuck in Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    As stated before, the only black flight has been by older [[read: near-retirement) middle class blacks who managed to get somewhat established in their careers before autopocalypse.

Younger/educated black people continue to flee for Chicago / Philadelphia / Atlanta / Charlotte / Houston while the poor black people remain stuck in Detroit.
    Older person - Ex-detroiter in Chicago since 1989. Came here because of assaults, break-ins, boredom and couldn't find meaningful work. Chicago has offered me safety, excitement [[politics is ever changing) and work. I was just thinking about Detroit, which I visit once a year....how depressing it is. It's depressing for me to go back to the old east side neighborhood and see barrenness. And the people have no motivation to rebuild the neighborhoods, waiting for the city to come through.
    But it's my birthplace.

.....while the poor black people remain stuck in Detroit.
    If this is true, then l see them leaving for the suburbs when the city becomes too expensive. Yes, I'm talking about a major reversal which is already taking place.

Quote Originally Posted by SammyS View Post
    If this is true, then l see them leaving for the suburbs when the city becomes too expensive. Yes, I'm talking about a major reversal which is already taking place.
    And so we become Paris? Hmmm...

It's already happening; the populations of inner ring suburbs like Southfield, Harper Woods, Eastpointe, Warren, and Allen Park have become more and more diverse over the years. Thus, there is another wave of "white flight" from the suburbs to either exurbs [[older 40+) or Detroit/<insert trendy suburb here> [[Millenials) coming soon.

Quote Originally Posted by SammyS View Post
    Fundamentally speaking, 90% of the city will never reach that point. Most of the suburbs will never become that accessible either. The 2000s were an exception due to the Mortgage Bubble.

Can you blame them?

There's no reason for them to stay in Michigan unless they want to be stuck working low wage temp jobs while having to contend with dying/dead cities, crumbling infrastructure and backward-ass ineffective government.
    Not to mention, cold, crappy winters.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; June-27-17 at 08:51 PM.

Our black neighbors across the street moved to Novi to be closer to their offices, does that count?

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    Not to mention, cold, crappy winters.
    Yes, very true.

I'm going to use another example from the city I grew up in [[Melbourne, Australia).
    Up until about 15 years ago, the suburbs were affluent and the inner city was where the poor lived. Although the suburbs have remained affluent, the inner city has by far surpassed in RE value....by multiples. Residents now gauge thier area by the distance from the city center, as it should be.

Example:
    "How good is your area?"
    "It's about [blah blah] from the city"