Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default The Future of Macomb Mall [[Sears to Close)

It's going to be difficult to recover from this loss.

This is amongst the largest Sears stores in the country [[2nd or 3rd largest in Metro Detroit, behind Oakland Mall and maybe Livonia Mall). Also, the space was built specifically for Sears.

I was at Macomb Mall the other day, and while the wing with Dick's Sporting Goods is doing somewhat better than before because of the money poured into it, the rest of the mall is a ghost town, especially in/around Sears. It reminds me of how things were during the final days of Universal Mall.

http://www.freep.com/story/money/bus...lle/423092001/

just saw this too. went into sears a few days ago and they were remodeling it. rumor is that an "At Home" will be going in there.

I think they've done a great job renovating the mall from what it used to be. Dick's and H&M are really nice. I also wouldn't describe it as a ghost town. Maybe not the busiest mall in the area, but certainly not a ghost town.

Quote Originally Posted by Maof View Post
    just saw this too. went into sears a few days ago and they were remodeling it. rumor is that an "At Home" will be going in there.
    If that's true it's great news. At Home is a highly profitable, rapidly expanding big box retailer moving into MI.

Honestly, I think Gratiot in lower Macomb looks awful, esp. in Roseville. If they get At Home that's a huge win for all of South Macomb, and probably ensures Macomb Mall won't become Eastland anytime soon.

I'm excited about an At Home going in there too but also sad about that Sears closing. I live half way between Macomb Mall and Lakeside and always prefer going to the Macomb one. Not a big fan of Lakeside at all.

Sears and Kmart drag down every shopping center they're in, nowadays. In the long run, the sooner they close them all, the better. Which, by the way, I think will happen by Dec 31, 2018. They're bleeding money, and it costs more per store to operate as they close more stores.

Meanwhile, I am a bit surprised that the Westland Sears will remain open. Had they ended up on that closing list, that'll only add to the big blow that mall had after they lost Macy's earlier this year.

Also, referring to Sears store sizes in the Detroit area, the Lincoln Park store is pretty big, so much so that it is one of the largest in the entire chain and was actually the highest-grossing store in the entire chain for a short time in the 60's.
    Last edited by mtburb; June-24-17 at 03:03 PM. Reason: wrong store

Quote Originally Posted by mtburb View Post
    Meanwhile, I am a bit surprised that the Westland Sears will remain open. Had they ended up on that closing list, that'll only add to the big blow that mall had after they lost JCPenney earlier this year.

Also, referring to Sears store sizes in the Detroit area, the Lincoln Park store is pretty big, so much so that it is one of the largest in the entire chain and was actually the highest-grossing store in the entire chain for a short time in the 60's.
    Don't forget, Westland also lost Macy's earlier this year.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Don't forget, Westland also lost Macy's earlier this year.
    That's in fact what I actually meant, unless Westland actually lost JCPenney recently too.

I was just looking at the merchandise on At Home's website. Their stuff actually makes the crap at Art Van look like quality merchandise.

Most of At Home's garbage looks like it will be in the landfill inside of two years after purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by SyGolden48236 View Post
    I was just looking at the merchandise on At Home's website. Their stuff actually makes the crap at Art Van look like quality merchandise.

Most of At Home's garbage looks like it will be in the landfill inside of two years after purchase.
    sometimes i like "crap". housewares, storage, organization, outdoor. if it's inexpensive and you get tired of it after a few years, you don't feel so bad getting rid of it.

when it comes to furniture, not everyone can afford well made, long to last. maybe it's geared toward single, young couples just starting out, etc.
    Last edited by Maof; June-25-17 at 07:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mtburb View Post
    That's in fact what I actually meant, unless Westland actually lost JCPenney recently too.
    JCP is still there, was in it last week.

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    JCP is still there, was in it last week.
    JC Penney may or may not be around in 10 years, but unlike Sears/Kmart, they're trying. Sears has been on a decade-long unwinding of the company, choosing to sell or sublet all their assets: physical property, intellectual property, etc. There has been no discernible attempt to fix the [[very many) things wrong with the company or try to relaunch either chain into something that might work in a modern retail world. It's sad because it didn't have to happen. At one time they were both reputable stores with distinct identities. No longer. Sears and Kmart, as late as the early 2000s, were fixable. Now we are just awaiting the official announcement [[which will take a year or two, peppered with more store closings, store shrinkage and brand spin-offs in the meantime).

Are any of these malls doing well? I can't make it a week through the business news without reading about another retailer either biting the dust or closing a bunch of stores and they always seem to point out that they are or were in malls.

On malls in general ....

There were a few threads on this board a while back about the Westland area. I remember checking Street View and seeing how deserted it all seemed compared to how I remembered it in the late 90s.

Has any of that recovered?

Since Sears is closing its Macomb Mall Store next year. Bring in Shopper's World.

Sears was the anchor store at Macomb Mall and that's why Dicks moved in. When Sears goes, I don't know how the rest of the mall will fend. Kohls is the only busy business there.

My brother just sent me a link to someone's facebook page that works at that Sears. Apparently, that Sears is one of the highest producing stores and they lease that space. At Home came in and made them an offer they couldn't refuse. Not sure if that's the case but still pissed though.
    Last edited by Maof; June-26-17 at 01:57 PM.

Kohl's?

I've walked through one a couple of times. Never saw a thing worth even looking at closely, let alone buying.

Kohl's is a bit scary in regards to clothing. Seems like they changed buyers a bit back and they style got really corny cheap looking. Sears was far better.

Quote Originally Posted by cla1945 View Post
    Sears was the anchor store at Macomb Mall and that's why Dicks moved in. When Sears goes, I don't know how the rest of the mall will fend. Kohls is the only busy business there.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Kohl's?

I've walked through one a couple of times. Never saw a thing worth even looking at closely, let alone buying.
    Kohls at Macomb Mall is usually pretty busy. They offer sales, Kohls cash back and a diverse stock. I'm not telling you where to shop and if you don't like Kohls, don't walk through the doors. Macy's would do well at Macomb Mall and I would consider it more high end than Kohls.

I would not mind the Sears at Oakland to close so it can become an At Home.

I'll miss Sears, and agree that Macy's at Macomb Mall would make a lot of sense on some level.

I guess its good that At Home will move into the space, so the mall can continue on.

Kohls does have alot of coupons and incentives. It just seems they've gone downhill a bit. Carsons is similar but better merchandise!

I've been getting emails for a Macy's overstock/outlet. If I'm not mistaken, at Oakland Mall.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast