Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Ford building the new Focus in to sell back to American customers.

Imported from Shanghai.

This area has to. Has To. HAS TO! break away from being at the whims of a single industry.

They may be Mexican jobs affected but it shows how quickly a rug can get pulled from under you.

MAGA! America First!

I don't particularly care where stuff is manufactured; I just hate the hypocrisy.

If you're a protectionist, fine, but then walk the walk. Don't buy cheap foreign made junk, don't vote for politicians who wish to cut education and workforce training and don't pretend to believe in free trade.

Quote Originally Posted by brizee View Post
    Imported from Shanghai.

This area has to. Has To. HAS TO! break away from being at the whims of a single industry.

They may be Mexican jobs affected but it shows how quickly a rug can get pulled from under you.
    It's not Michigan being tied to a single industry that's the problem, but the fact that Michigan is tied to a single industry who's demand is extremely cyclical because it sells an expensive product that's considered a luxury [[not a necessity).

Even with oil prices in the 40s, you don't see single-industry Houston collapsing on itself like Detroit does any time there's a notable decline in sales.
    Last edited by 313WX; June-23-17 at 03:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    MAGA! America First!

I don't particularly care where stuff is manufactured; I just hate the hypocrisy.

If you're a protectionist, fine, but then walk the walk. Don't buy cheap foreign made junk, don't vote for politicians who wish to cut education and workforce training and don't pretend to believe in free trade.
    I'd add, don't believe politicians who promise to "bring back" manufacturing jobs while they and their spawn hawk their own goods made in overseas sweatshops.

Ford signed a labor agreement with the UAW in 2011 that included a two-tier wage plan that was supposed enable Ford to build small cars in the U.S. profitably - and bring back auto manufacturing jobs from China, Mexico and Japan. Guess that didn't quite work out.
    Last edited by Pat001; June-24-17 at 08:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat001 View Post
    Ford signed a labor agreement with the UAW in 2011 that included a two-tier wage plan that was supposed enable Ford to build small cars in the U.S. profitably - and bring back auto manufacturing jobs from China, Mexico and Japan. Guess that didn't quite work out.
    To be fair, Ford nor the UAW can control the fact that everyone wants to drive big ass F-150s, Rams and Silverados with gas prices around $2/gallon. At the time in 2011, it was reasonable to assume that $4/gallon gas was the norm.

That said, history has a funny way of repeating itself. Just know that the Big 3 [[especially the UAW autoworkers) will be royally screwed yet again when the fickle American consumer suddenly wants to buy those Cruzes and Focuses after gas prices inevitably surge back above $5/gallon.

It probably should be noted somewhere that the Focus is a "world" car [[like the new Jeep), and you might as well build them where the market is.

I think it is important to point out that taking the place of the Fusion at Michigan Assy plant are two brand new vehicles, Bronco and Ranger. No jobs lost, less profitable car moving, major investment in the plant.