Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by emu steve View Post
    Woodward Alfred/Edmund very high visibility location.
    Or maybe Woodward/Simpson??? Isn't development there stalled?
    Steve, the Woodward/Mack/Myrtle/Stimson area would certainly be probably...the proposed retail location just north of the Bonstelle is far from dead...The Edmund/Alfred area, of course, is the new LCA complex and the east side of Bruch Park is the City Modern residential. I doubt they would build far off Woodward as the available space would be essentially east of Beaubien, north of I75 ---wanting the visibility of the main drag. Since no site is apparently determined [[or being kept under wraps at this point) time will tell. Something like this could certainly be part of the District Detroit development. Keep in mind that district boundaries dovetail south to Bagley and include the United Artists buiding.

I have suggested in my other post that the old United Artists Theatre or the Loyal Order of Moose buildings might, IMHO might be options. No inside track on this one. I believe the Moose bldg. is within the boundary of the District.
    Last edited by detroitbob; June-24-17 at 12:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by detroitbob View Post
    I would imagine the development you speak of was financed in all or part by the government something that if you observe this forum would be as popular as peeing on grandma's grave.
    Not at all. The underground parking was privately financed by the company that owns the theater. My point is that parking is going to be a critical element of this development. If urban density is going to mean anything to future midtown or downtown developments, it should start with this one. I would like to see someone take a bold move that we have yet to see with privately financed commercial developments.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitSoldier View Post
    Not at all. The underground parking was privately financed by the company that owns the theater.
    Do you mind posting any relevant info...I would be interested in reading about this project, particularly about the theater building that was involved.

Quote Originally Posted by EGrant View Post
    Ugh the RenCen would be such a bad location. I'm sure they would make the actual theater nice, but it would be a shame to hide such a nice development in that bunker.
    Ren Cen was until several years ago the home of a 3 screen complex...never successful over the years. Closed more than open and finally remodelled out of existence.

Ren Cen was until several years ago the home of a 3 screen complex...never successful over the years. Closed more than open and finally remodelled out of existence.
    Things like movie theaters should be open, inviting, etc. I have been to the Ren Cen I think once and didn't find it inviting. Never went back. The Hudsons's site proposed building, OTOH, is the opposite, literally inviting people to come inside.

I think the most 'inviting' location is the Woodward/Edmund/Alfred parcel for all the reasons indicated. Folks living between Mack/Fisher could walk to it. Others from Downtown, WSU, New Center, etc. could take the QLine.

Wouldn't it be neat for WSU students living on/near campus to have a nearby theater for a Saturday night date?

It would fill a parcel which needs to be filled and would seem consistent with the LCA area.

It could also encourage someone to develop the N.W. corner of Temple/Wooward parcel which I assume is still owned by the vets' organization [[better than surface parking). Is that parcel begging for a Starbucks or similar type establishment? [[hang at the Starbucks before going to the movies or LCA?).
    Last edited by emu steve; June-24-17 at 04:27 AM.

Another article:

http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/in...art_river_home

Interesting gives a 6 month timeline for selecting the site.

Before everyone gets too excited about this you must bear in mind that Emagine has a vivid imagination when it comes to building new theaters. They often send out press releases with great fanfare about new theaters that never come to fruition.

Several years ago they announced that an 8 screen multiplex would be built in the Grosse Pointe Village shopping area. Thank God that did not happen.

They subsequently announced that a multiplex would be built on Little Mack at 12 Mile Road in St. Clair Shores. Nothing ever came of this idea either.

Most recently they announced plans to desecrate a large component of the Grosse Pointe War Memorial by turning it into a commercial movie theater. Fortunately these plans have been put on indefinite hold and hopefully will be withdrawn in the near future.

Emagine has a very vivid imagination.

Quote Originally Posted by SyGolden48236 View Post
    Emagine has a very vivid imagination.
    You're right, to an extent, Sy. But they also own and operate a lot of terrific cinemas. All of which were proposals originally. Now, if it were me, I would generally keep my mouth shut until I had a rather firm plan. But I don't think they pointlessly announce plans without intent to act on them. Some ideas pan out; others get blocked by the details of business.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyinBrooklyn View Post
    You're right, to an extent, Sy. But they also own and operate a lot of terrific cinemas. All of which were proposals originally. Now, if it were me, I would generally keep my mouth shut until I had a rather firm plan. But I don't think they pointlessly announce plans without intent to act on them. Some ideas pan out; others get blocked by the details of business.
    If they would announce plans for say Woodward/Alfred/Edmund, the price of that land has just doubled...

Best they negotiate for several sites, e.g., this one, maybe Simpson, maybe one or two within the CBD.

Isn't that how smart developers do it? Play one land owner off vs. another.

Quote Originally Posted by emu steve View Post
    If they would announce plans for say Woodward/Alfred/Edmund, the price of that land has just doubled...

Best they negotiate for several sites, e.g., this one, maybe Simpson, maybe one or two within the CBD.

Isn't that how smart developers do it? Play one land owner off vs. another.
    And I'm sure the owners play developers off against each other.

BTW, who owns that Brush Park patch on Woodward? Wasn't it a church that burnt down a few years ago?

Quote Originally Posted by SammyS View Post
    BTW, who owns that Brush Park patch on Woodward? Wasn't it a church that burnt down a few years ago?
    Years back the everything on the Woodwrd frontage save the church [[First UU) was scheduled for additional townhomes, but with LCA across the street that makes the land far more valuable. Does any forum member know the current status/owner of that frontage?

Am I the only one or are they really starting to have more proposals than actual theaters nowadays, signified by the fact that they just sold their Woodhaven outlet to AMC?

Years back the everything on the Woodwrd frontage save the church [[First UU) was scheduled for additional townhomes, but with LCA across the street that makes the land far more valuable. Does any forum member know the current status/owner of that frontage?
    According to Loveland, the former First UU church site and the plot next door appear to be owned by the same person. The church site is owned by "Salim Kamenko," with a taxpayer address in Waterford. The lot adjacent to it is under "Sam Kemerko" registered to the same Waterford address. Unclear if this is just a typo, or if the owner goes by multiple names.

The next plot south appears to be city owned, and the plot at Woodward and Alfred is registered to a company in Vancouver, WA called American Property Exchange.

[[Loveland is a great tool for tracking down property owners, for anyone not already using it: makeloveland.com)

As for the church that used to be there, here's a link to the Muckraker article from when it burnt down. "Salim Kemenko" listed as owner in that article and indicates he lives in Waterford Twnship. Muckraker claims it is the same owner for both properties, which would make sense.

http://motorcitymuckraker.com/2014/0...d-wings-arena/
    Last edited by Tramhamck; June-24-17 at 01:33 PM. Reason: Typo in owner's name

Or this could be a publicity angle for them. This could be their way of creating interest in their brand and causing people who have never been to their theaters to visit one to see what it is like.

Companies and business leaders announce grandiose plans all of the time that never come to fruition.

Given that it's the "in" things now for people to have a stake in Detroit's "comeback," it wouldn't surprise me at all if this is nothing more than a publicity stunt by Emagine to garner good press.

Quote Originally Posted by SyGolden48236 View Post
    Or this could be a publicity angle for them. This could be their way of creating interest in their brand and causing people who have never been to their theaters to visit one to see what it is like.
    There's another angle... the NIMBY crowd... Grose Pointers probably don't want theatres in their area... because it may bring in people "not like us".

Just look at all the theatres around Eastland that are gone... the standalone Eastland Theatre, the Beacon East Theatre. Even St. Clair Shores has been giving the Shores Madrid owners trouble for years about reopening and expanding that theatre.

Theatres have often caused a lot of problems with shootings [[remember the Americana in Southfield)... and other problems that require the police be called in. So many burbs just don't want the hassle of what theatres bring.

Even downtown... for a theatre to be successful, it has to be a "fear free" environment. I bet that any theatre in downtown/midtown will have a "metal detector" entrance requirement... as the Fox has had for many years for its' patrons.

Thanks cat.
    Yeah, that fire does sound suspicious but without a conviction, that's all the city has.
    Anyway, hope the land goes to good use. No party stores please.

Once the intentions go public there is an option contract on a majority of commercial deals like this. Sometimes more than one which this one sounds like it has. The only big differences are if they are public properties at some level, local government has already weighed in on how receptive they are for the land use which could greatly effect the price and or the length of term on the option. An example would be the Statler site, the option there has been ridiculously long.

The options afford the project time to get its ducks in a row. Zoning issues, financing, tenants, etc... it is a long list. Do they go off the tracks? The answer is yes, they can and do.

Without the options the further along the project goes in the process the more capital would be at risk to a property owner who could take advantage of that fact.

Do large businesses make this stuff up to "get good press"? No, somebody is having trouble distinguishing movie plots from real life. Emagine Entertainment has already invested real life money just to get this far.

Considering I worked in the RenCen a year before coming across the theaters, I'd say that would be a poor choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    There's another angle... the NIMBY crowd... Grose Pointers probably don't want theatres in their area... because it may bring in people "not like us".
    That is a very ignorant statement. There are people in the Pointes of all kinds. Have you been to the Village lately?

We do not want a theater in the Village because it would have consumed one of the largest parking lots in the area. Parking is already in dreadfully short supply in the Village.

Trying to foolishly ascribe a racial motive to this issue is preposterous. You ought to know better than that.

Quote Originally Posted by ABetterDetroit View Post
    Do large businesses make this stuff up to "get good press"? No...
    Anyone who believes that is extremely naive. In fact, there are two words we use to describe this type of crap: "Pipe dream"

Remember that guy who wanted to turn vacant parts of Detroit to a Zombie amusement park? How about that Magic Johnson theatre that's been discussed off and on for the past 10 years? Let's also remember that 3rd Meijer store the company confirmed but we haven't heard another peep about. I might add, these things don't just happen in Detroit either.

Heck, the Auto Industry does it all of the time with concept cars. Look up the Cadillac Escala and Buick Avista for example.

The reality is Emagine has already accomplished enough without having to spend an extra penny or minute on this so-called theatre they're proposing in Detroit. Not only do they have the boosters in the city feeling all warm and fuzzy, but they have other people outside the city / state who are looking at them and saying how generous they are for considering investment in such a desolate and underserved town. Not saying that's actually the case with Emagine [[whether it is or not remains to be seen), but there are plenty of reasons to be skeptical.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    The reality is Emagine has already accomplished enough without having to spend an extra penny or minute on this so-called theatre they're proposing in Detroit. Not only do they have the boosters in the city feeling all warm and fuzzy, but they have other people outside the city / state who are looking at them and saying how generous they are for considering investment in such a desolate and underserved town.
    Wow.

And here I thought people were just deciding to see a movie and thinking 'that theatre is close and nice and the one we want to see starts at 7:15'

Thanks for enlightening me about how much of a roll Detroit future investment has in people's decision to go to the movies and which theatre.

The hot spot for a new Emagine Theater in Gilberttown Detroit is:

1. At the Cadillac Blvd and Monroe St.

2. At the old Hudson Block where a new 52 story "GILBERT TOWER" will be at. Right next to " Shinola-Dan Gilbert Hotel."

2. Sounds like a natural fit unless the cost/sqft is prohibitive

Quote Originally Posted by mtburb View Post
    Am I the only one or are they really starting to have more proposals than actual theaters nowadays, signified by the fact that they just sold their Woodhaven outlet to AMC?
    Does anyone know why the sold Woodhaven? A great location I visited often.

I also endorse either Woodward/Baltimore or the parking lot next to the old courthouse, I don't think a big multiplex would work well in Midtown.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast