Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Downtown To Get A Movie Theater?

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...wntown-detroit

Dry cleaners, hair salons, drug stores, and yes, a theater, sound like nice amenities to have in a residential area.

How about including a synopsis of the article, when you link to something behind a paywall. Then maybe other people will play along

Emagine Entertainment Inc. is looking to bring a megaplex theater to downtown Detroit.Co-founder and Chairman Paul Glantz said the Troy-based company is evaluating two undisclosed sites, one that would be a new construction and one that would entail renovation of an existing building.
    He estimates the investment will be in the range of $15 million and said he's more inclined to locate the new theater near residential development as opposed to commercial development.

Quote Originally Posted by emu steve View Post
    http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...wntown-detroit

Dry cleaners, hair salons, drug stores, and yes, a theater, sound like nice amenities to have in a residential area.

"Emagine Entertainment Inc. is looking to bring a megaplex theater to downtown Detroit.
    Co-founder and Chairman Paul Glantz said the Troy-based company is evaluating two undisclosed sites, one that would be a new construction and one that would entail renovation of an existing building.
    He estimates the investment will be in the range of $15 million and said he's more inclined to locate the new theater near residential development as opposed to commercial development".

Emagine - Nice

Sorry, I should have maybe extracted a paragraph or two.

What does 15M buy?

Curious what is the status of the Bonstelle theater?

An Emagine behind the Fox Theater would've been a perfect location for it. Now it has me wondering, no space in downtown really...midtown is more of the residential neighborhood they want to be in.

What about that vacant lot where the people mover loops when it goes to the David Witney Buildling?

It's over on Clifford St, Bagley Ave, Park Ave, and Washington Blvd.

There's nothing there.

Quote Originally Posted by gthomas View Post
    An Emagine behind the Fox Theater would've been a perfect location for it. Now it has me wondering, no space in downtown really...midtown is more of the residential neighborhood they want to be in.
    And on Woodward? I would assume a theater would want frontage on the main street, if possible.
    Last edited by emu steve; June-23-17 at 02:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tig3rzhark View Post
    What about that vacant lot where the people mover loops when it goes to the David Witney Buildling?

It's over on Clifford St, Bagley Ave, Park Ave, and Washington Blvd.

There's nothing there.
    LOL That's going to be those well-talked about and reviled apartments.

Though what about the Hotel Tuller site?

That's the Statler site and its under development.

How about someone near Brush Park? There's empty land between Brush Park and Eastern Market.

Quote Originally Posted by emu steve View Post
    And on Woodward? I would assume a theater would want frontage on the main street, if possible.
    There's a spot kitty corner from the new arena and across the new business school on woodward. big empty plot of land that I think could possibly fit a decent size movie theater? a la the Palladium Birmingham [[it may have renamed)

woodward btwn alfred and edmund?

who knows.. there's plenty of empty land behind the fox// cass park area // brush park so they have good choices

very excited that they're bringing one downtown though!

Woodward Alfred/Edmund very high visibility location.

Or maybe Woodward/Simpson??? Isn't development there stalled?

I think a theater would be great.

I'm guessing the existing building they're talking about is the Ren Cen? I don't know what the state of the theater space is in there or how many screens it was [[or how many screens the emagine theater will have) but it's the only place I can think of that could serve the purpose.

Near the arena makes sense for them for new construction. The arena has that kind of soccer mom approved family fun character that they would find desirable, it's right by the residential areas that they want, but it's also very close to downtown. It's close to the Fox, Fillmore, and Masonic Temple theaters if they want to contextualize it as being part of a theater or entertainment district. It's right by two high schools and it's still accessible to WSU by the Q-Line. And I think the wheels would be greased for that location over others.

Ugh the RenCen would be such a bad location. I'm sure they would make the actual theater nice, but it would be a shame to hide such a nice development in that bunker.

Bonstelle would be my choice especially with the rumored adjacent Target.

How about New Center? Near Fisher Building? Lots of empty space by Q LINE stops and area will be residential soon.

Quote Originally Posted by ndavies View Post
    How about including a synopsis of the article, when you link to something behind a paywall. Then maybe other people will play along
    Ndavies... all those Crain's paywalls can be gotten around by simply Googling "Crain's Detroit" + a few keywords about the article heading.

For example Googling "Crain's Detroit Movie Theatre"... will return the full article.

The Bonstelle Theatre is currently WSU's undergraduate live theatre venue.

It was designed as Temple Beth-El synagogue in 1903 by Albert Kahn, and was remodeled by C. Howard Crane in the late 1920s [[he added a stage house in the back). This historic venue would be desecrated if it were to be multiplexed....

Here's an idea.... take the old Fine Arts Building facade on W. Adams on GCP... and build a 5 story building behind the historic surviving facade. The Fine Arts Building was [[besides offices above) the entrance to the former Adams Theatre [[razed by Ilitch's)... which was on W. Elizabeth [[one street north of Adams).

They could build a new multiplex theatre on the site of the Adams auditorium, and use the Fine Arts Building entrance as the lobby... recreating the "Alley Jumper" style that the Adams theatre used to have... having some of the multiplex's theatres entranceway tunnel under the alley [[between Adams and Elizabeth)... and other multiplex theatres crossing over at a 2nd level skyway, thus stacking some of the theatres on top of each other.

Having the Emagine Theatre megaplex directly on West Grand Circus Park would make it close to residential towers... Broderick, Whitney, United Artists, Kales, Milner, Village Green, and also many residential buildings on Woodward and Washington Blvd.
    Last edited by Gistok; June-23-17 at 06:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    The Bonstelle Theatre is currently WSU's undergraduate live theatre venue.

It was designed as Temple Beth-El synagogue in 1903 by Albert Kahn, and was remodeled by C. Howard Crane in the late 1920s [[he added a stage house in the back). This historic venue would be desecrated if it were to be multiplexed....

Here's an idea.... take the old Fine Arts Building facade on W. Adams on GCP... and build a 5 story building behind the historic surviving facade. The Fine Arts Building was [[besides offices above) the entrance to the former Adams Theatre [[razed by Ilitch's)... which was on W. Elizabeth [[one street north of Adams).

They could build a new multiplex theatre on the site of the Adams auditorium, and use the Fine Arts Building entrance as the lobby... recreating the "Alley Jumper" style that the Adams theatre used to have... having some of the multiplex's theatres entranceway tunnel under the alley [[between Adams and Elizabeth)... and other multiplex theatres crossing over at a 2nd level skyway, thus stacking some of the theatres on top of each other.

Having the Emagine Theatre megaplex directly on West Grand Circus Park would make it close to residential towers... Broderick, Whitney, United Artists, Kales, Milner, Village Green, and also many residential buildings on Woodward and Washington Blvd.

love the idea. Wish it would come to fruition

I also love the old Fine Arts building facade location and purpose. I hope its just very visible and creatively designed to fit in a urban fabric and not look suburban. Fox theater and stadium area is the BEST area to put this.

I actually think Detroit's core could support more than one. A megaplex could work well smack downtown either in vicinity of Greektown or the GCP area [[love the Adams Theater idea, Gistok). But I also think that the New Center area could support one, as well. Both have decent and rapidly growing residential populations [[and lots of young professionals among them, who go out more than the average citizen). The New Center area is home to or nearby the museums & Wayne State. Downtown is most ripe for one, but I can see the second megaplex working out, too.

And I think a destination cinema, like a Landmark or Alamo Drafthouse [[the former featuring independent and revival films, the latter serving great food and beer) could work in Corktown or midtown somewhere, too.

As it is, I think RenCen is a terrible location for a cinema, because it is too out of the way for most potential guests. RenCen's retail needs to focus on those working or visiting the complex anyway.

I would imagine the ideal location would be somewhere near the City Modern development in Brush Park, which will be the highest concentration of new residences. The existing building renovation comment I find interesting as to the space requirements. HOWEVER, the UNITED ARTISTS THEATRE could be a real possibility.

If the entrance, lobby, and rotunda were restored with the auditorium reclaimed for 5 or 6 modern multiplex auditoriums inside the shell of the original theatre 15 million to 20 million might be possible. Other theatre buildings of this era have been renovated into multiplex auditoriums. There would be no need to restore the old design save for the promenades. Escalator and elevator access and new restroom facilities along with concession areas all could be accommodated in the original footprint.

The other building that might be adaptable would be the old LOYAL ORDER OF MOOSE LODGE at W Elizabeth and Cass Ave. Certainly adaptable and a building that has been long awaiting a new life. I understand the prior owners, who were unable to pull off a development sold it with the understanding that it was not to be demo'd.

There already has been some talk of the Adams/Clifford frontage immediately behind the UA as a site for parking/retail. That would solve any parking issues for a theatre complex and proposed apartments in the office structure.
    Last edited by detroitbob; June-24-17 at 12:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ndavies View Post

Nah, pay the money for the article. Tired of people wanting free articles. We work and get this information not for free, we make a living doing this.

Wherever it is located, I will be EXTREMELY disappointed if it does not include underground parking. Move theaters require significant amounts of parking and I think to promote progress in the urban density movement, this would be a great development to start moving in that direction. We have to move past above ground parking with excitement for the inclusion of first floor retail.

I am sick and tired of the "underground parking is more expensive" argument. Though the initial investment is more, the payoff with lower maintenance cost [[they are virtually weather proof) and their longer life span more than pay for themselves. Also underground parking can be placed under existing structures. The German city I live in just placed a 400 vehicle underground lot beneath a 18th century theater.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitSoldier View Post
    Wherever it is located, I will be EXTREMELY disappointed if it does not include underground parking. ...The German city I live in just placed a 40
    0 vehicle underground lot beneath a 18th century theater.
    I would imagine the development you speak of was financed in all or part by the government something that if you observe this forum would be as popular as peeing on grandma's grave. The new development of the Hudson block will replace the underground garage which was placed inside the footprint of the old Hudson store, the bulk of which was built in circa 1925-1927 as the "greater Hudson store".

Any new parking garage in downtown/midtown/New Center must have one or two floors of retail or other use as part of the footprint. Once a site is determined and announced additional parking may or may not be significant. In the immediate Bagley Ave area, it would be a necessity. If the megaplex ended up being located two or three blocks north in the Park/Adams/Grand River sector significant surface parking already exists.
    Last edited by detroitbob; June-24-17 at 12:44 AM.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast