Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Top Ten ComeBack Downtowns in the US... Detroit #4

Interesting read...it was unthinkable 10 years ago..
    http://www.realtor.com/news/trends/t...de-a-comeback/

And how is Detroit not no.1? As an investor, I would have used the home price appreciation metric as the leading indicator.

Quote Originally Posted by SammyS View Post
    And how is Detroit not no.1? As an investor, I would have used the home price appreciation metric as the leading indicator.
    Detroit's still lagging behind in the following:

• Number of restaurants, bars, grocery stores and food trucks per capita, and growth since 2012 [[mainly grocery stores)
    • Number of department stores and independent retailers per capita, and growth since 2012

Quote Originally Posted by SammyS View Post
    In this particular article I would place Detroit #1 - Shocker. Glancing over the article I noticed some of the reasons stated for other cities was pretty lame.
    Detroit is the comeback kid

And I have lived in two; Detroit and Oakland.

I always think of Oakland as the much poorer sister to SF. Didn't occur to me until reading the article how SF's sky high prices would have such a positive spillover effect. Hopefully the A's find a way to get a new stadium since the city is losing the Raiders and the Warriors.

Nice to see that downtowns are such a phenomenon [[not just Detroit).

Also, I'd move Detroit up a notch or two. At least ahead of Indy.

This is a definite step in the right direction.

What Detroit and Michigan needs is a "not settling for 4th place" attitude and to really get to work.

If the State of Indiana can cooperate with the City of Indianapolis for the good of both that is more than enough proof that partisan politics doesn't have to be a chasm that cannot be bridged.

Constant fighting against people in our own neighboring communities will not work in the future.

We have witnessed that failure up close long enough.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    I always think of Oakland as the much poorer sister to SF. Didn't occur to me until reading the article how SF's sky high prices would have such a positive spillover effect. Hopefully the A's find a way to get a new stadium since the city is losing the Raiders and the Warriors.
    Much of Oaktown has become trendy and fashionable. Interestingly, when I first moved there in the early '90's you only wanted to be in the hills and to avoid the "flatlands." Now the hills have lost some luster as certain areas lower down have increased in popularity due to "walkability", transit, retail/restaurants, etc.