Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default New Restaurant coming to Midtown

There will be new restaurant called Shangri-La. It will be located on the corner of Cass and Forest Ave. next to University Cleaners where the old Twingos used to be. The new resturant will provide Asian cusine especially from India.

This gonna be an extension of the Shangri-La in West Bloomfield?

Danny, this is my favorite post of yours - and I usualy don't like your posts.

Good stuff! I drop my dry cleaning off at that cleaners every so often and was wonderind what the renovations was all about

Such a pleasant spot--if the food works, they could have a hit on their hands.

Let's all keep our fingers crossed. Any addition in that neighborhood is a good one. I love the idea of stopping at the Cass Cafe for a while, and walking to other places. After the Detroit Jams at the Concert for Colors, a group of us walked to the Cass Cafe. Wondeful evening in the D. I enjoyed walking to Twingo's when it was open.

Curry for lunch! Good news indeed!

HELL YES. finally. i've been wondering about the old twingo's for awhile. last fall i saw someone who worked at cass cafe cleaning it up, and then a few weeks ago i saw it repainted, and about a week ago i saw a blank white banner getting put up on it. i'm so excited, especially since it is going to be indian, and there is a very serious lack of indian food. I love Bangladesh/indian town in Hamtramck, but I don't love not being able to walk there.

BTW, i'm pretty sure i've been to the Shangi-La in West Bloomfield a very long time ago. Probably like 8 years. I looked it up and it is chineese. They have awesome Dim-Sum. But i think the Detroit Shangi-La is going to be indian, so I doubt they are related

Good news for the Computer Science department!

Well, they have a sign that says that they'll serve Chinese and dim sum.

How's the Shangri La in W. B-field?

let us know about the official opening..

yeah. maybe it is related after all

Are they going to be closed Mondays like almost everyplace I want to go in Midtown?

Default Midtown Shangri-La

Quote Originally Posted by casscorridor View Post
    BTW, i'm pretty sure i've been to the Shangi-La in West Bloomfield a very long time ago. Probably like 8 years. I looked it up and it is chineese. They have awesome Dim-Sum. But i think the Detroit Shangi-La is going to be indian, so I doubt they are related
    A little information for those of you wondering about this place. I originally installed the computer system in the most recent Twingo's. I have been contracted to install the new menus for what is to be called Midtown Shangri-La in the old Twingo's. They are the same people that own the one someone mentioned in West Bloomfield...and from what reviews I've read of that, they are rated pretty well. I think it will fit good in that area. Twingo's was nice, but wrong type of food/or too expensive for that type of atmosphere, at least that's what I always thought. Too close to the university for that.

I do know it is a lot of Asian Cuisine [[Chinese, and others), and a Sushi Bar... [[I don't know if they have Sushi Bar in WB), and I didn't see anything I'd consider Indian except for 3 curry dishes...but as much as I do this for a living, I may have missed others as I'm not a fan of that cuisine...but if you've been to their restaurant in WB, the menu is quite similar. and they may have alcohol by the time they open, but if not soon after they open. They are waiting on the license. I believe they will be open within a month. Hope this helps all you wondering...and I am new here with this name, but this is what's going on. All of you curious about Shangri-La I felt I should let you know where things are at as I'm a little involved. Cass Cafe, Mario's, Atlas Global Bistro, Angelina Italina Bistro are our clients, and even American Masala was our client and I can't even explain what happened there...lol... Hope this helps.

P.S. I came across this thread because I was searching for new/upcoming restaurants in Detroit and suburbs....
    Last edited by Rowdy5779; August-28-09 at 11:26 PM.