Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Former TV Station building in New Center Slated for 150 apartments reno

The New Center boom rolls on as the former WJBK TV, later WTVS Public TV, station building on 2nd is being floated for residential and retail conversion. From Crain's:
    "The Detroit Historic District Commission took no action on the possible project Wednesday night, said Richard Hosey III, a board member.

The building is "the only intact example of a 1950s television studio left in the city," according to an application for addition to the National Register of Historic Places, which was approved last year, the Detroit Free Press reported.

The popular shows "Sagebrush Shorty" and "Sir Graves Ghastly" were produced there. The building was designed by John Volk, who was the architect for properties for the Vanderbilt, DuPont, Ford, Dodge and Pulitzer families, the application says.'

"The proposed redevelopment of the former WJBK-TV Studio Building includes adding up to seven stories of residential space to the west behind the building."

This is following on the 20 story building announcement in the thread Property Sold At Woodward/W. Grand.

This really has to put the no man's land between New Center and Boston Edison into play.

This is pretty exciting to see. There are a lot of parcels in the New Center area that are prime for this kind of thing. I am looking forward to see what The Platform does with the lot surrounding the Fisher parking garage.

That's a big addition. I'm glad to see infill going on here. I'm biased but I think this is a really charming part of the city with a good level of density. I hope the area continues to grow.

im surprised they're proposing a 7-story block immediately next to a 2-story house. that may bring out the nimby crowd. i guess new center pavilion sets a precedent.