Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Property Sold At Woodward/W. Grand

SW corner. Interesting if something really happens.

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...perty-35-story
    Last edited by emu steve; June-15-17 at 05:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by emu steve View Post
    SW corner. Interesting if something really happens.

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...perty-35-story
    I find these building plans specious. Because? The population in Detroit is not growing. Where do these developers expect to get their population to inhabit these buildings from?The same is happening in Chicago. We have about 22 cranes building across the city, yet we lost 6,000 in population. Who's going to live in these apartment and commercial buildings.
    Last edited by Chicago48; June-15-17 at 07:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicago48 View Post
    Who's going to live in these apartment and commercial buildings.
    They'll be easily converted to low income housing once the bubble bursts.

I find these building plans specious. Because? The population in Detroit is not growing. Where do these developers expect to get their population to inhabit these buildings from?The same is happening in Chicago. We have about 22 cranes building across the city, yet we lost 6,000 in population. Who's going to live in these apartment and commercial buildings.
    What I think is happening is that there could be significant population loss in the 'older' neighborhoods [[e.g., due to mortality of the elderly, empty nesters, etc.), but with significant population growth in other neighborhoods such as the ones frequently discussed here.

Detroit is large enough so that there could be pop. growth in downtown, Midtown, New Center, Riverfront, Corktown, etc. while their is corresponding pop. losses in many other neighborhoods.

To say that the population is [[nearly) stable doesn't mean that significant demographic changes aren't happening.
    Last edited by emu steve; June-15-17 at 09:37 AM.

Look at City Modern and ask the developer/builder/agent who's buying. If they are willing to tell you, then you'll soon realize that a big chunk are coming from the suburbs.

https://detroit.curbed.com/2017/6/14...partment-needs

I would hope many if not most are built in the city proper so we can reverse the destruction of urban sprawl.

For Detroit's sake, I hope the economy and auto sales manage to not go into the crapper between now and the next 5 years...

For me, it's frustrating how this city is always a "Johnny Come Lately" when it comes to these grandiose projects [[I.E. at the tail end of economic expansions) and then they end up never happening.